Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

liuzhou

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

 

Was just wondering. Were the shiitake your friend found fresh or dried. I like both, but they are different. The fresh are even more meaty.

Oh these were fresh!  Dried are pretty easy to come by,  even the flower variety, but are a bit pricey.   It was my first time sampling the fresh ones.  


Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Tonight party after the last Dragonboat race of the season (unthankful 4th place) ...

 

Made rye flour-based Flammkuchen with onions and Guanciale 😊

 

 

IMG_1232.JPG

  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Oh these were fresh!

 

Good.

 

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Dried are pretty easy to come by,  even the flower variety, but are a bit pricey.

 

Yes, they can be expensive here, too. Depends on grade which seems to be based on appearance as much as taste. The price of top grade dried, wild flower shiitake can be stratospheric.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turkey sandwiches with broccoli salad and cucumber salad

IMG_4772.JPG.0ea7fcdb896d7fa65b7863d38b80f994.JPG

 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is, perhaps, a bizarre mix. But a happy one.

 

orzo2.thumb.jpg.5613d20a630a8905fb824cc18d88c31f.jpg

 

Pork tenderloin cubed and marinaded in garlic, chilli and a commercially bottled Thai ginger sauce and Vietnamese fish sauce, then fried.

 

A very simple green salad of baby bok choy and scallions. Orzo and tomatoes.

I didn't dress the salad other than applying some sea salt. Any dressing would have been overwhelmed by the umami rich marinade juices, which ended up on the salad anyway..

 

orzo3.jpg.25d8983baacb0742bbbc489957b09bab.jpg

 

orzo1.jpg.33e0364c0906d3121c3f4e3c90e20a04.jpg

 

ginger.jpg

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I didn't dress the salad other than applying some sea salt. Any dressing would have been overwhelmed by the umami rich marinade juices, which ended up on the salad anyway..

 And people sneer at my idea that gravy is good on salad.  :D

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Anna N said:

 And people sneer at my idea that gravy is good on salad.  :D

 

I seem to recall Julua Child in one of her books advocating tipping the drippings from rested meat into the salad bowl. I've followed the advice


Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, heidih said:

 

I seem to recall Julua Child in one of her books advocating tipping the drippings from rested meat into the salad bowl. I've followed the advice

 

And doesn’t Zuni chicken do something similar? Or am I misremembering?


Edited by Anna N (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:


I don't think you need to worry about an apology for that. At least, if you do, then I owe a whole lot of people a whole lot of apologies. This particular topic is like  a bullet train. You turn away from the computer long enough to take a drink of your beer and when you turn back, it's moved forward 3 or 4 pages. Add in me forgetting to check in on it for a couple days and I have to play catch-up all the time. :D

My confession is even more shameful. After a week away, I'll sometimes...(blushes)..."mark as read" and promise myself to catch up at some indefinite point in the future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Anna N said:

And doesn’t Zuni chicken do something similar? Or am I misremembering?

 

Your memory serves you well! I've made th chicken many times but have yet to do the salad...maybe just too lazy?
Will have to plan on that next time we have company...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instapot pork ribs finished (a little too much) under the broiler; cheese grits; asparagus with crumb topping and a stuffed (with spinach and mozza) Portabello Mushroom.  Too much food.

DSC02469.thumb.jpg.6431321e3365ef4ba0d594e5a5dc4a05.jpg

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Instapot pork ribs finished (a little too much) under the broiler; cheese grits; asparagus with crumb topping and a stuffed (with spinach and mozza) Portabello Mushroom.  Too much food.

 


Doesn't look like a little too much to me, looks just right.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mushroom was quite big and had spinach, bread crumbs, mozza, mushroom caps and onion.  The ribs were really good.  From Costco so they were quite meaty and not too fatty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple stir fry with chicken, noodles, mushrooms and veggies featuring fresh asparagus.

 

stir-fry7.jpg.ec5730cad1592b4213fcf4b0df399417.jpg

 

 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

This is, perhaps, a bizarre mix. But a happy one.

 

orzo2.thumb.jpg.5613d20a630a8905fb824cc18d88c31f.jpg

 

Pork tenderloin cubed and marinaded in garlic, chilli and a commercially bottled Thai ginger sauce and Vietnamese fish sauce, then fried.

 

A very simple green salad of baby bok choy and scallions. Orzo and tomatoes.

I didn't dress the salad other than applying some sea salt. Any dressing would have been overwhelmed by the umami rich marinade juices, which ended up on the salad anyway..

 

orzo3.jpg.25d8983baacb0742bbbc489957b09bab.jpg

 

orzo1.jpg.33e0364c0906d3121c3f4e3c90e20a04.jpg

 

 

 

Nice plating, all your recent meals.

Thumbs up!

 

dcarch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7107E2B3-DDEC-4662-91FE-2E46CE5355DC.thumb.jpeg.5210db99694e5412cc05a66e68fd7984.jpeg

 

 Japanese cabbage rolls (from the freezer),  carrot and scallion salad enlivened with some kimchi furikake. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fried......Game Hens.  Back in the '60s and '70's, my Father worked at the Oregon Dept. of Agriculture and was the State liason to the Oregon Fryer Commission.  Back then we could always buy "fryer" chickens that were in the 3 1/2 lb. range.   Just perfect for frying. Then we could get a "roaster," a "rooster" or a "stewing hen."  All different sizes depending on how we wanted to cook the bird.    But where I live today all we get are chickens in the 5lb. class give or take a few ounces.  They might be labeled free-range, organic or any of the other monikers of the day, but they're all basically the same weight.  We'll never see a poussin, but might get lucky if on occasion one of the farmers at our small Saturday market has some young chickens.  Anyway, I prefer game hens for frying because they are small, tender, stay juicy and are easy to eat.  And they fry up quickly and perfectly.

 

I change the recipe all the time, different flours, different seasonings, rarely battered but sometimes dipped in egg then flour, sometimes deep-fried but more often fried in a skillet.

These game hens were dredged in a combination of all-purpose flour and cornmeal, then egg wash, then flour, then into 365 oil for about 8 minutes.  This time I used canola oil, but I think next time I'll go with vegetable oil.  Back in the day Grandmother used pure lard.....

IMG_0226.JPGIMG_0230.JPG

 

 

 

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Duvel said:

 Tonight party after the last Dragonboat race of the season (unthankful 4th place) ...

 

Made rye flour-based Flammkuchen with onions and Guanciale 😊

 

 

IMG_1232.JPG

Never thought about rye flour in a flammenkuchen. Must try that.

 

Made a decent marinated veggie salad last night and had it with what'll likely be the last meal off the chicken salad I bought last weekend. Corn, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, peas, pimiento peppers. Forgot to take a pic.

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Probably should have taken pics, as it was a pretty impressive spread for all that happened today.  But, pics did not happen, except for dessert (on the pastry and baking thread).   For the Father's day lunch/dinner, I went with their favorites: 

Slow cooked beef short ribs, basted with Thai chili sauce, mirin, and some BBQ sauce- then baked. 

Coca-cola baked beans with beef bacon. 

Potatoe salad: Red potatoes, serrano chili, grilled, sliced shallot, coriander and cumin seed, cilantro- and nice vinegar based dressing. 

French bread

 char-grilled corn on the cob. 

And the lemon curd pastry creme-blueberry Mille-feuille with passionfruit/blueberry sorbet for dessert. 

 


Edited by ChocoMom (log)
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, David Ross said:

These game hens were dredged in a combination of all-purpose flour and cornmeal, then egg wash, then flour, then into 365 oil for about 8 minutes.  This time I used canola oil, but I think next time I'll go with vegetable oil.  Back in the day Grandmother used pure lard.....

You fried them whole? I’ve never heard of that. They look amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I fry them whole these were cut in quarters and then fried. Sometimes I cut out the backbone and butterfly them and fry. All delicious 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some Pork ribs smoked in the Kamado.

IMG_20180617_164223.thumb.jpg.5bd2a36223a3523fb7ba71a55668a7c8.jpg

 

IMG_20180617_172309.thumb.jpg.03428b2e9c71da5caf2e3f044de3fc93.jpg

  • Like 23
  • Delicious 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Duvel said:

 Tonight party after the last Dragonboat race of the season (unthankful 4th place) ...

 

Made rye flour-based Flammkuchen with onions and Guanciale 😊

 

 

IMG_1232.JPG

 

I've made Flammenkuchen a few times but my toppings are bacon, onions and crème fraiche.  Love the stuff, my hips not so much.😁

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2018 at 6:40 PM, weedy said:

Sous Vide monkfish medallions. 

Garlic butter with paprika and lemon. 

Sweet potato (chipotle butter)

 

 

5872932A-D210-4C34-9835-D314732355FB.jpeg

Can you tell me at what temperature and for how long you cooked the monkfish?  I bought some today and plan on having it tomorrow for dinner.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lamb chops over wild rice/cranzin/pecan/orange vinaigrette

 

006.thumb.jpg.36b3cb6379026bf5de9c74c36231e444.jpg

  • Like 20
  • Delicious 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×