• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

liuzhou

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Sardines in mustard and wheat Saltines.  The wheat Saltines were an accident.  The sardines were a choice.  No one needs to see this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I got them from a hydroponic grower who sells at the local farmers market.  They aren't summer tomatoes but at least they are picked and brought to market ripe so they're pretty good.

Last night for me was leftovers, otherwise not worth writing about, but I did enjoy the last of my summer tomatoes:  Mountain Magic.  And it's almost time to order more plants for this year!

For tomatoes in winter (or any other season for that matter) it's hard to beat Mastronardi Sunset brand tomatoes.  These are greenhouse grown.  Other brands of greenhouse tomatoes have not done it for me.  Even in tomato season, to my taste Sunset beats locally grown tomatoes (except my own).  And this is New Jersey, the Garden State!  I don't understand why but it is so.

• Like 5

5a5eddf020dac_LobsterinagingergarlicandblackbeansauceJanuary16th2018.thumb.jpg.e07c32f3049b91fcf529c97342ca9590.jpg

Platter for two.  Lobster with Ginger, Garlic and Black Bean sauce. 

I still had four lobster tails in the freezer from New Years.   

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Sardines in mustard and wheat Saltines.  The wheat Saltines were an accident.  The sardines were a choice.  No one needs to see this.

Sardines in mustard used to be a regular workday lunch for me. At that time they were (IIRC) about $0.89 a can, and fresh-baked rolls at the supermarket bakery were $0.20, so I'd buy one of each and call it good. 

• Like 1

Needed some beer battered shrimp last night

IMG_4003.jpg.320be03178f5068fb86594a9dd421c35.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg.aff78a2bc4cef5218bcd182aefe6add3.jpg

IMG_4005.JPG.0b3c0ad44e3b23c7ddee0b2fe106f7ea.JPG

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Needed some beer battered shrimp last night

IMG_4003.jpg.320be03178f5068fb86594a9dd421c35.jpg

Now, I need some oysters!

HC

• Like 1

A couple of meals.  Tamales (pork, from Costco).  They were a bit too spicy for my taste so to tone them down I made a tomato sauce and melted some mozzarella on top.  Used some of the sauce to make Spanish rice.  Served with snap peas.  (This was from a week ago, but had to head out of town with no time to post the pic.)

tamales.jpg.b57839e64ca1efd24958ba3b8fe983f4.jpg

Last night I made lentil soup, this time using brown lentils, ham and carrots.  Made in the electric pressure cooker.  Served with salad.

lentil-soup2.jpg.c8c445aead914441a6ba4dc2f44a9609.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Sardines in mustard and wheat Saltines. 

you can have your sardines I'll take the peppers. I had a craving for them when I was pregnant and haven't been able to look at them without getting nauseous since.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:38 PM, Ann_T said:

Warm cinnamon rolls.  

Nice to see that someone else thinks that cinnamon rolls aren't only for breakfast.

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night for me was leftovers, otherwise not worth writing about, but I did enjoy the last of my summer tomatoes:  Mountain Magic.  And it's almost time to order more plants for this year!

For tomatoes in winter (or any other season for that matter) it's hard to beat Mastronardi Sunset brand tomatoes.  These are greenhouse grown.  Other brands of greenhouse tomatoes have not done it for me.  Even in tomato season, to my taste Sunset beats locally grown tomatoes (except my own).  And this is New Jersey, the Garden State!  I don't understand why but it is so.

I’m going to contest that as a born and raised and a forth generation Jersey girl. 

• Like 1

Warm Chili for a Very Chilly Night!

C025BC11-3D57-4336-BC7E-E09AB4FAF07D.thumb.jpeg.b2d7cea024df5e52bad90ddb0d291ec1.jpeg

Beef Chili with Beans over Rotini ~ Topped with Shredded Cheese and Green Onions