• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

10 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I got them from a hydroponic grower who sells at the local farmers market.  They aren't summer tomatoes but at least they are picked and brought to market ripe so they're pretty good.

Last night for me was leftovers, otherwise not worth writing about, but I did enjoy the last of my summer tomatoes:  Mountain Magic.  And it's almost time to order more plants for this year!

For tomatoes in winter (or any other season for that matter) it's hard to beat Mastronardi Sunset brand tomatoes.  These are greenhouse grown.  Other brands of greenhouse tomatoes have not done it for me.  Even in tomato season, to my taste Sunset beats locally grown tomatoes (except my own).  And this is New Jersey, the Garden State!  I don't understand why but it is so.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Sardines in mustard and wheat Saltines.  The wheat Saltines were an accident.  The sardines were a choice.  No one needs to see this.

Sardines in mustard used to be a regular workday lunch for me. At that time they were (IIRC) about $0.89 a can, and fresh-baked rolls at the supermarket bakery were $0.20, so I'd buy one of each and call it good. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A couple of meals.  Tamales (pork, from Costco).  They were a bit too spicy for my taste so to tone them down I made a tomato sauce and melted some mozzarella on top.  Used some of the sauce to make Spanish rice.  Served with snap peas.  (This was from a week ago, but had to head out of town with no time to post the pic.)

tamales.jpg.b57839e64ca1efd24958ba3b8fe983f4.jpg

Last night I made lentil soup, this time using brown lentils, ham and carrots.  Made in the electric pressure cooker.  Served with salad.

lentil-soup2.jpg.c8c445aead914441a6ba4dc2f44a9609.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night for me was leftovers, otherwise not worth writing about, but I did enjoy the last of my summer tomatoes:  Mountain Magic.  And it's almost time to order more plants for this year!

For tomatoes in winter (or any other season for that matter) it's hard to beat Mastronardi Sunset brand tomatoes.  These are greenhouse grown.  Other brands of greenhouse tomatoes have not done it for me.  Even in tomato season, to my taste Sunset beats locally grown tomatoes (except my own).  And this is New Jersey, the Garden State!  I don't understand why but it is so.

I’m going to contest that as a born and raised and a forth generation Jersey girl. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I’m going to contest that as a born and raised and a forth generation Jersey girl. 

Well, I'm not born and raised though I have lived here ever so short of fifty years.  (And before that in Philadelphia, spending three months a year at the shore.)

I may have memories of good local tomatoes but I sure haven't tasted one in decades.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It seems like just weeks ago, but must have been months, that I was complaining to a good friend that I couldn't find 苦瓜 kǔ guā - bitter melons - which were bitter like they were in the good, old days. She gave me withering look and said that weren't in season, so "what do you expect?"

I still don't know exactly when the things are in season, but I bought one today and it looked like all the others I've bought over the years, but when I cooked it it lived up to its name. Well, the first part of its name.

That bitterness revolted me at first, but I've grown to like it. (Stubbornness played a large part in me trying it the third or eighth time). Now I actively seek it out.

So tonight, I had bitter melon with beef (苦瓜牛肉 kǔ guā niú ròu)  or perhaps beef with bitter melon (牛肉苦瓜 niú ròu kǔ guā) . I haven't decided yet. Restaurant menus often list both - If beef comes first it is predominantly beef; if bitter melon comes first it is predominantly - you've guessed it.

Anyway beef was sliced into slivers and marinated with garlic, ginger, chilli and Shaoxing wine.  Stir fried for a bit, then the de-pithed melon added along with some soy sauce. Finished with green onions and served with rice.

Spicy and bitter. ( I had a wife like that once!)

kugua.thumb.jpg.a5105e3baeb214e7d6665261a14b067f.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

39 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Do you think you could send me your recipe? That looks like every Chili I have wanted, tried, and failed, to make!  

Sure! Here is my basic recipe, although each batch is different. Sometimes I add chopped tomatoes or change up the heat level.

One Alarm Chili

Great the first day but even better the next day. Adapted from Wick Fowler''s 2-Alarm Chili seasoning mix. You can double the cayenne pepper to make it Two Alarm Chili!

Ingredients:

- 2 lbs. Course ground beef chuck

- 1 Hunt's tomato sauce, 8 oz.

- 2 cups Water

- 4 teaspoons Cumin Seed

- 4 tablespoons Chili powder

- 1/2 teaspoon Salt

- 1 1/2 teaspoons Paprika

- 1 tablespoon Minced dry onions

- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic powder

- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper

- 4 teaspoons Masa flour

- 1/4 cup Warm water

- 2 cans Bush's Chili Hot Beans (optional)

- Grated cheddar cheese

- Chopped green onions

Directions:

1. Sear ground meat in sauce pan. Drain off fat.

2. Add tomato sauce and water. Add cumin, chili powder, salt, paprika, minced onions, garlic powder, and cayenne powder and stir.

3. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is tender, stir occasionally.

4. Stir masa flour into warm water to make a thick, but flowable mixture. Add masa mixture to chili. Simmer another 15-20 minutes to thicken.

5. Add chili beans (optional). Simmer another 15-20 minutes to blend flavors.

6. Serve warm with grated cheese and chopped green onions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Two recent dinners. 

14880766-93A1-4684-B9F7-F7A54D5B89AF.thumb.jpeg.b2f1562885249f4c71f8dc25fc8e53f8.jpeg

This did not photograph well. Or perhaps I should be more forthright and say I did not take very good photograph of it. Reheated Nando chicken and Belgian endive gratin.  The gratin was made using crumbs from the  “gothic” bread over on the Modernist Bread topic.  Tasted much better than it looks. 

Last night I reheated the leftover-leftover chicken and endive gratin and added in a sous vide lamb loin chop and a watercress salad. 

F96E7E05-6484-442A-BA40-2770B21A3023.thumb.jpeg.9f9b8f4d075abb06ae95d896236fb193.jpeg

And for those who like to know such things the lamb chop was cooked at 55°C for one hour before being given a quick sear in a cast iron pan. 

BBA8CFD1-F137-42C4-AF48-7B0C19EC8167.thumb.jpeg.e76c3178bbbe552454ad8ebbc39cb05f.jpeg

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3363C341-407D-410B-AC12-2EDDA78E1050.thumb.jpeg.c952dd74ad9df08adfdc6749bac55bd8.jpeg

Salad with watercress, grapes, blue cheese and hazelnuts. Dressed with hazelnut oil and merlot vinegar. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog