• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

57 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Am I the only one who can't see "Duck Soup" without thinking of the Marx Bros.?  I'm not even that old (59)!

Infant.

I think of that, and of the party/cover band from the DFW area. Fine dance band for us "old folks."

• Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, kayb said:

There's also a Jamaican restaurant in Memphis that does goat curry periodically. That's some of the best stuff I ever ate. It's in a fairly mild (odd, for Jamaican cuisine, I guess) curry that appears to be either yogurt- or coconut-based, since it's creamy. I detected no coconut taste, though.

Tucson has a Jamaican restaurant I've been to that always has goat on the menu. I love their Jerk Chicken so that's what I go for, but the goat is there and seems fairly popular. So is Ackee and Codfish, which is traditional Jamaican but I'm afraid of the potential toxins in the unripe fruit. I don't know if I can trust them to only use properly ripened fruit and I sure don't want a case of Jamaican Vomiting Sickness. Call me a wuss, if you wish.   🙂 

@FauxPas, how did you like the slow cooker mode for the beans? I got rid of my slow cooker when I got my IP,  but I find I never use the slow-cook mode and things I might once have slow-cooked I just do in pressure cooker mode now. I've heard the slow cook mode is less than desirable because it heats only from the bottom.

The meat and beans cook together in that recipe and I think it would have been just fine if it had been pressure-cooked instead of slow-cooked. As it was, the recipe said slow-cook on low for 8-10 hours and I didn't want to wait ten hours so kept it on slow-cooker mode but turned it up to high. I'm glad I did because the beans were barely soft enough after eight hours. 

If I was just cooking beans, I would probably pressure cook them! 

Edited by FauxPas
to add link (log)

5 hours ago, kayb said:

There's also a Jamaican restaurant in Memphis that does goat curry periodically. That's some of the best stuff I ever ate. It's in a fairly mild (odd, for Jamaican cuisine, I guess) curry that appears to be either yogurt- or coconut-based, since it's creamy. I detected no coconut taste, though.

Many years ago, I spent a couple of months in Jamaica and virtually lived on goat curries. No two were ever the same but all were wonderful. And yes, a very few could be relatively mild.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Am I the only one who can't see "Duck Soup" without thinking of the Marx Bros.?  I'm not even that old (59)!

You are definitely NOT alone! 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Nice looking meals everyone!

A couple of recent dinners.

Pork medallions with green beans & bacon and corn & barley.

Curry:  shrimp, lamb/barley, zucchini/pea and dahl with raita and a chapati (not in the picture).   Mostly from the freezer :-))

DSC02878.thumb.jpg.a283ab2b5600d4fb8e21860e305aaa9b.jpgDSC02879.thumb.jpg.521da64f9d58c61bea3857e3a4cd77ef.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

22 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Kim, 

even worse for me.....The song from Duck Soup, "Hail, hail Freedonia" is a diss on the college town where I went to school.  When the Marx brothers were on the vaudeville circuit they played in Fredonia, NY and the locals ...shall we say didn't appreciate their humor and gifted them with some ripe tomatoes.  Years later when Groucho was touring college campuses SUC Fredonia was the only place he would NOT appear.  Had a classmate named Tom Dudzick who created a one man play about Groucho.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Having wanted sweet-and-sour pineapple meatballs for a solid week (in another era, I'd swear I was pregnant), I gave in and made them today. Two pounds of ground beef with a panade, two eggs, some ketchup, and some seasoning made 44 small meatballs (I'd say ping  pong ball sized). I baked them for 35 minutes at 375F, then dumped them over into a sauce made of 12 oz pineapple juice as well as the juice from a can of pineapple chunks; a quarter-cup of soy sauce, a quarter cup cider vinegar, a half-cup brown sugar, and two tablespoons of cornstarch. Added the pineapple chunks and simmered for 30-ish minutes. Served over plain white rice. Hit the spot.

I had been craving it so badly apparently I neglected to take time to take a pic. But I have three healthy servings in the freezer, and one in the fridge, so perhaps there will be a repeat later this week.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Filet mignon, marsala cream sauce with roasted root vegetables

Your filet looks exquisite. How did you cook it? Which veggies did you use? Any special prep? I liked my last apple cider glaze a lot. 

• Like 1

I saw this reference to a style of Kentucky BBQ ( https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/23/dining/monroe-county-pork-steaks-bbq.html) that I tried tonight.  Pork steak is pretty common in my part of the country but it is usually breaded and fried or baked.  I've never seen it offered at a BBQ  joint except for one meat and 3 restaurant where it was featured as the Thursday lunch special.  The basting sauce is equal parts lard and butter with distilled vinegar, cayenne (75,000 shu) salt and black pepper.  Served with cream potatoes and a green salad.  

IMG_20181216_185159042.thumb.jpg.cbc3684aaaee30c1a83c0621a53b3581.jpg

The steaks were cooked with hardwood charcoal and pecan embers.

IMG_20181216_181956333.thumb.jpg.ba79f833aad8fd0597c356dd62b9073f.jpg

We've been eating a lot of turkey the past month ( 23#, 12# , 2x16#) prepared grilled, baked, SV'd., turchetta, sausage, and boiled etc.  I was afraid that I over-cooked a dry brined breast last week so I pumped it while warm.  I injected over 4 oz in the evening and injected the remaining ~2 oz the next morning.  It turned out great!

Breast roasted at 275F.

IMG_20181208_203723233_HDR.thumb.jpg.579e3d1d7f86c17131b3e899da0b6429.jpg

Getting ready to pump.

IMG_20181208_190908328_HDR.thumb.jpg.1dda9cbc926d3fc26d26eae195882838.jpg

"Plumped" Breast

IMG_20181209_101057579.thumb.jpg.0388e6a0c08b234b002a7385efdc5aee.jpg

• Like 17

42 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Your filet looks exquisite. How did you cook it? Which veggies did you use? Any special prep? I liked my last apple cider glaze a lot. 

Thanks! Cider glaze sounds great

Filet was seared and then roasted to 125 F in a 350 oven , rested and served

Pan sauce was done in the searing pan...little minced garlic...deglazed w sweet Marsala...cream added...cooked down..salt and pepper ..caramel color to darken

veg were small diced Yukon gold, sweet pots and onions ....roughly 2:2:1 ratio... pan roasted in peanut oil...potatoes first, till browned on a side...then add sweet pots till darkened on a side...then add onions.  Cook covered for a minute or two...salt well..add very generous splash of cream and cook down for a minute or two.  The idea is to get each veg cooked and browned before adding the next and to maximize browning

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Filet was seared and then roasted to 125 F in a 350 oven , rested and served

Do you cook filets often? Is that your usual method? I think they are tricky to cook. Were you happy with results? 

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

Do you cook filets often? Is that your usual method? I think they are tricky to cook. Were you happy with results? 

When I cook a few filets I do it this way. I temp every few minutes eG at 5 and 9 and 12 min.  They are thick and start at near room temp.  It works well.  The. Last few minutes are busy, but are overall easy. 

On christmas i do about  10 filets. Then I do them all SV to 125 f. And sear off 

the lot. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Cabbage soup made in the IP - just the thing for a dreary, rainy.  (Beef, carrots, onion, cabbage, tomatoes.)

Cabbage is so underrated.

Yesterday's late lunch/ early dinner.

1606023283_HotChickenSandwichDecember17th2018.thumb.jpg.71038945ccbac3929ed7c02106df3330.jpg

Hot chicken sandwiches with roasted potato wedges done in the CSO.

I also canned a half batch of a friend's chile sauce.  Moe loves chile sauce on his Christmas Eve Tourtiere

and I usually buy a jar of someone else's at the local farmers market.  

But I decided to spoil him. I'm not a canner so this was a big deal for me. 

I used the 10 pounds of tomatoes from our garden that I had just tossed into ziplocks

and froze.   

1058995481_ChileSauceDecember17th20181.thumb.jpg.b0155bb0790fef989dcf86de037ebef6.jpg

Netted three 750 ml (25 oz) jars

621458496_ChileSauceDecember17th2018.thumb.jpg.4aa1e8dd87dde2b7b00dc441dedb54ed.jpg

and enough to almost fill a 473 ml (16 oz) jar. 

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

孜然山羊肉末 (zī rán shān yáng ròu mò) - Cumin minced goat

Minced goat marinated in Shaoxing wine, garlic, ginger, shallots, cumin, chillies and salt. Stir fried and finished with soy sauce and Chinese chives.

Served with 龙须菜 (lóng xū cài) - chayote shoots and rice.

Very spicy.

goat.thumb.jpg.ce077c138c13ede25471239636a47823.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto