• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

@robirdstx at the risk of pissing you off, I have a comment about your pasta dish.  First let me say I admire your food.  Often I am blown away by how wonderful your meals look.  So, I find it interesting that you don’t toss your pasta with your sauce in the pan and then serve.  It makes such a tremendous difference.  The tossing creates the emulsified sauce that covers the pasta.  Try it.  But, maybe you were in a hurray and didn’t do this.  😍😍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

@robirdstx at the risk of pissing you off, I have a comment about your pasta dish.  First let me say I admire your food.  Often I am blown away by how wonderful your meals look.  So, I find it interesting that you don’t toss your pasta with your sauce in the pan and then serve.  It makes such a tremendous difference.  The tossing creates the emulsified sauce that covers the pasta.  Try it.  But, maybe you were in a hurray and didn’t do this.  😍😍

We have done it both ways. 😍

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

And...don’t you find there is a difference?

When dealing with a meat sauce, I find the real difference is in the leftovers. We like to keep the sauce separate from the pasta until ready to serve. When it’s an Alfredo, we prefer to toss it together in the pan.

Thanks for the question. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

chicken2.thumb.jpg.223d619a634ec11acbfdb28edc413db5.jpg

Turmeric chicken with garlic, ginger, green and red chillies, Chinese chives and black olives. Rice. There was a side of green beans with bacon which I did remember to photograph. Unfortunately,  I didn't remember to focus the shot. Hey, Give me a break! I was hungry!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Is Green the New Orange?

Shopping in NYC Chinatown, came across these  green oranges. Haven't seen them here before. I tried one and surprised that it was sweet and had a very pleasant orange flavor. Then I found out that it is natural for oranges to be ripe and green. Supermarkets gas them and dye them to be orange.

So I make SV crispy trout with orange sauce.

dcarch

764308301_greenorange.thumb.JPG.0eaf897bdb55186a9c1a8a45357eaf8d.JPG305469119_salmongreenorange2.thumb.jpg.5cf8c78ccbe26520d7a23ef2c72818ab.jpg374071000_salmongreenorange.thumb.JPG.783f238efb1a60c8f204560c372d8ec3.JPG

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Glad to hear he is recovering. I feel certain several loaves of fresh bread will help immensely! 

In all seriousness, so glad you took him to ER and that medical intervention was so prompt! Best wishes for continued, and speedy, recovery.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, dcarch said:

Shopping in NYC Chinatwon, came across these  green oranges. Haven seen them here before. I tried one and surprised that it was sweet and has a very pleasant orange flavor. Then I found out that it is natural for oranges to be ripe and green. Supermarkets gas them and dye them to be orange.

Sorry, that isn't true of most oranges. Navel oranges are very sour when still green, and gassing won't help. It is true, however, that Valencia oranges can regreen when really, truly ripe; if left on the tree after they're ripe the rind can begin producing chlorophyll again. Maybe you got some really ripe Valencias.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Sorry, that isn't true of most oranges. Navel oranges are very sour when still green, and gassing won't help. It is true, however, that Valencia oranges can regreen when really, truly ripe; if left on the tree after they're ripe the rind can begin producing chlorophyll again. Maybe you got some really ripe Valencias.

Yup - I have at least 8 trees of various oranges and tangerine hybrids. Re-greening I have observed, but none of mine are sweet until the first "orange". 

• Like 5

Oh @Ann_T good for you for being the strong spouse and INSISTING it be checked out.  I have a good friend the same thing happened to and he was in the hospital but it wasn't until his girlfriend(who works in the field) pitched a GIANT fit that it got diagnosed.  It is so heart stopping when life happens....

I thawed some chicken breasts out.  Now to pound them thin, saute and then slip them into a tomato basil sauce I thawed out, sprinkle with some shredded asiago and pop on top of some pasta with some sautéed spinach with garlic.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I have to admit I get very pleased with myself when I make something that turns out to be very good.  (Which isn't always the cast).  One of my favorites sites/shows in recent years is "Dining with the Chef" from NHK in Japan.  So their recipe for "Beef Stew" looked really intriguing to me, but I was a little cautious about using the Instant Pot.  Well I didn't need to worry since it turned out wonderful--tender beef and of course, very quick compared to a traditional slow cook. 

The sauce is a combination of carrot, celery, onion, tomatoes, tomato paste then some miso, garlic and sake.  They call for some olive oil but I added sesame oil and I added ginger which they don't include in the recipe.  I cut the sake in half and added some soy sauce which they also omit and I boosted the miso paste.  It was delicious with subtle Japanese flavors but next time I'd add a bit of dried red chile flakes for a little heat.  On a whim I added the thinly sliced preserved ginger and served the stew with steamed rice and some Chinese pickled vegetables I had in the pantry.

IMG_0652.JPGIMG_0653.JPGIMG_0655.JPG

• Like 12

17 hours ago, robirdstx said:

We have done it both ways. 😍

Us, too.  It just depends on how I feel when I'm ready to plate.  Sometimes I want it all gooshed together and sometimes I want a little of that plain pasta to contrast with the meaty sauce.  My bolognese tends to be very "saucy", so after a couple of bites, it mixes in anyway.  My MIL makes a delicious bolognese that is much less liquid - very chunky with meat and vegetables and I especially like that one "un-mixed".

@Ann_T - I'm so glad that you have Moe home now and that he is doing better.  I'm sure that it will have to be watched, but I'm so glad that it was caught when it was.  Please know you are both in my thoughts (actually, you all are already in my thoughts - I talk about your bread and Moe's breakfasts a LOT😊).

• Like 6

3 hours ago, David Ross said:

One of my favorites sites/shows in recent years is "Dining with the Chef" from NHK in Japan

Thanks very much for bringing this to my attention. I shall be exploring.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, dcarch said:

Shopping in NYC Chinatown, came across these  green oranges. Haven't seen them here before. I tried one and surprised that it was sweet and had a very pleasant orange flavor. Then I found out that it is natural for oranges to be ripe and green.

We get green oranges all the time here in China. They are very sweet. They are the smaller tangerine or satsuma type.

34112596_greenoranges3.thumb.jpg.0d002f020aa3754f6c0968db4b77eb04.jpg

We also get green lemons.

143713589_GreenLemon-YellowLemon.thumb.jpg.093f359e50368720946c61a3c74c8643.jpg

Lemons

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Us, too.  It just depends on how I feel when I'm ready to plate.  Sometimes I want it all gooshed together and sometimes I want a little of that plain pasta to contrast with the meaty sauce.  My bolognese tends to be very "saucy", so after a couple of bites, it mixes in anyway.  My MIL makes a delicious bolognese that is much less liquid - very chunky with meat and vegetables and I especially like that one "un-mixed".

I get that, KIm! Sometimes I put the sauce on the side in a bowl and the pasta separate with a bit of oil, because I like the taste of the plain pasta as well as the two mixed together. And sometimes I cook the sauce into the pasta a bit. My husband likes it that way with some sauces. I also like to make extra pasta and sauce, mix the two together and bake them with some mixed cheese on top for dinner the next day. 

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Please know you are both in my thoughts (actually, you all are already in my thoughts - I talk about your bread and Moe's breakfasts a LOT😊).

I really try NOT to let my husband know about Moe's breakfasts, for fear he will expect the same!!!   😮 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I get that, KIm! Sometimes I put the sauce on the side in a bowl and the pasta separate with a bit of oil, because I like the taste of the plain pasta as well as the two mixed together. And sometimes I cook the sauce into the pasta a bit. My husband likes it that way with some sauces. I also like to make extra pasta and sauce, mix the two together and bake them with some mixed cheese on top for dinner the next day. 

I really try NOT to let my husband know about Moe's breakfasts, for fear he will expect the same!!!   😮 🙂

I, too, really like sauce on top of pasta better.  I like a taste of pasta with less sauce at times.

And, YES, I never show Ronnie Ann's bread.  Sheesh, he'd kick me out ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

We get green oranges all the time here in China. They are very sweet. They are the smaller tangerine or satsuma type.

34112596_greenoranges3.thumb.jpg.0d002f020aa3754f6c0968db4b77eb04.jpg

We also get green lemons.

143713589_GreenLemon-YellowLemon.thumb.jpg.093f359e50368720946c61a3c74c8643.jpg

Lemons

The ones here are the same size as regular oranges. 

I went back and got 20 more. Already ate 3 quickly. :-)

They are so delicious. Very juicy, but with many seeds.

dcarch

• Like 3

Potato on sale...15 lbs $1.98 in a big bin as opposed to 5 lbs for $3.99 in the next aisle.
We don't eat a lot of potatoes, but had a hankering for baked ham + scalloped potatoes...

No pic of the ham, but here's the scalloped potatoes...Kidlets were here for the afternoon and they loved the crispy tops.

408116975_ScallopedPotatoes7857.jpg.074bacaa1a4850f153a14571df104e4f.jpg    

Picked up a rotisserie for lunch. Supper, I drizzled some oyster sauce on the chicken, heated it up in the microwave, and had it for supper along with Shrimp Egg Foo Young.

79749357_RotiserieChicken7868.jpg.4d8b60949cf3c269d2b2d5f0d487e010.jpg

1308012480_ChrimpEggFooYoung7866.jpg.3af4d5a58a47eb08781d69705a56bde0.jpg                   

• Like 15

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

17 hours ago, dcarch said:

Is Green the New Orange?

Shopping in NYC Chinatown, came across these  green oranges. Haven't seen them here before. I tried one and surprised that it was sweet and had a very pleasant orange flavor. Then I found out that it is natural for oranges to be ripe and green. Supermarkets gas them and dye them to be orange.

So I make SV crispy trout with orange sauce.

dcarch

764308301_greenorange.thumb.JPG.0eaf897bdb55186a9c1a8a45357eaf8d.JPG305469119_salmongreenorange2.thumb.jpg.5cf8c78ccbe26520d7a23ef2c72818ab.jpg374071000_salmongreenorange.thumb.JPG.783f238efb1a60c8f204560c372d8ec3.JPG

Where were they from? It’s common to see orange colored oranges at least on my experience. My inlaws have them all over their yard in Northern CA. They’re treated the same as all the landscaping.