• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

2 hours ago, heidih said:

@HungryChris  Tempting meal as usual. You use alot of asparagus. Do you know where it is sourced from?  I am just overly curious about food sourcing ;)

I found this good looking asparagus on sale for 99 cents for a 1 lb  package at my local Aldi and assumed they were from South America. Your question sent me into the trash bin for verification, and sure enough, they were from Peru.

HC

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

That’s basically tiny shreds of shirataki, right ? How satisfied are you with those ... can you compare it to cauliflower rice ?

Yeah, that's it.

I can't speak for Dejah but we've bought it a few times for my GF, who's keto-ing this autumn, and she's liked it. If you think of it as skinny orzo, rather than as "rice," you'll pretty much have the picture. What's available in my neck of the woods is a different brand (the name escapes me at the moment) but I'm sure it's pretty similar.

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

Yeah, that's it.

I can't speak for Dejah but we've bought it a few times for my GF, who's keto-ing this autumn, and she's liked it. If you think of it as skinny orzo, rather than as "rice," you'll pretty much have the picture. What's available in my neck of the woods is a different brand (the name escapes me at the moment) but I'm sure it's pretty similar.

The brand I have is Zeroodles, recommended by another eGulleteer. I used to buy Shirataki brand noodles but they had the funky smell and more "elastic band" texture.
The rice, I took the advice of draining well, and blotting before stir-frying. Takes patience to get it more like fried rice texture. Different texture than cauliflower rice, which does not have that springy texture. But the zeroodles just come out of the package, no chopping / processing needed.
I've tried them in soup - no change in texture or break down. I tried them in congee...naw...
I DO like the fettuccini and penne pasta.
They certainly are filling, especially the ones with oat fibre.

• Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It's Saturday clubbing night and light meals before hitting the throttle.....

aPK5rmG.jpg

Yeah, well, not this one

sNzaGL9.jpg

Neither that one

But these ones...........

We must have the eternal Guac made table side.....

HSMX6xH.jpg

VqyAwqc.jpg

li576aH.jpg

ZSGjKYZ.jpg

cMpcOO3.jpg

With the soft Tacos...... Duck Confit (Yes, I know, very Latin American and not French at all) and Chicken with Pineapple and Achiote sauce.

7DCXghM.jpg

A large Quesadilla....four cheeses, Habanero, Tomato and Chimichurri

with a re-order as delectable

iFYjV9S.jpg

D8GEFDP.jpg

A dessert of Tres Leches Lemon Cream and Pistachio

dwEmBpQ.jpg

and this one with Cactus Macrons....

ppGf7oM.jpg

Apologies for the pic quality but I blame the Mojitos.........

• Like 13

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Nicolai

Ive been wondering 

what happened to you

not that offen BTW

Delicious what I see

sorry no carousel 

cheers !

Hey. How you doing.

Oct and Nov are very heavy month for me with tons of events and invitations to the extent that I forced myself to stay home as it was getting out of hands.

Then I got a cold and recovering for the traveling Xmas season starting on Dec 11th.....

Looking forward for peaceful Jan and Feb before the crazy Carousel starts again in March......

akYyJto.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My wife said to me: "This is what you get when you leave your wife alone in the kitchen all afternoon " (referring to having to run the dishwasher again)

She made Tomato Sauce used in:

20181201_182027.thumb.jpg.1855fc96450166b823490a72a57d3bb7.jpg

and then

20181201_193932.thumb.jpg.e319e03de9b9f90f4312f727d70b19e7.jpg

Chocolate Macarons with a chocolate and strawberry ganache!

• Like 15

Leftovers and beans:

Dinner12022018.png

Six day old bread even the CSO could only resuscitate so far.*  Bits of long lost steak.  Pot of freshly cooked up Rancho Gordo Rio Zape beans that require no excuse.  Beans were excellent.  In truth the steak was not bad either.

*unlike Swedish hard blood flatbreads that Magnus Nilsson says keep for more than a year:  "This is a recipe almost no one makes anymore."

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Australian Delicacy 'Curried Snags'. 

Yeah. I'm with you guys. Wtf. 

But it is comfort food for my husband and he has passed the liking of meat tubes in cat vomit to my son so when I am asked, I make. 

I have to use a recipe base because the first time I prepared what I thought curried sausage should be - it was so far from the food of his childhood the disappointment was palpable. 

20181202_174643.thumb.jpg.ef360b6e03e797811b4761956a2744f2.jpg

This is my sons plate. Stand by for the awe inspiring photo of my actual dinner. It'll be 10pm toast. 

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

Sunday night is pizza night. And while preparing the pies for my family I decided that after two weeks of ketogenic diet I might just have one or two slices ...

Tomorrow back to meat and veggies, but tonight I enjoyed the mushroom & salami one (that disappeared so fast that I couldn’t make a picture) as much as the flammkuchen with chicken and rosemary ...

68E2EAC0-B9F1-4CBD-812A-BFFCE3433A72.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 14

On 11/30/2018 at 7:41 PM, Raamo said:

Dry Scallops on sale all month at our local grocer - so why not pick em up for dinner tonight.

20181130_183421.thumb.jpg.bfb5ca795610b806b72ea39fc9d2a1a6.jpg

With a smashed potato :)

Try cvarma;lizing some onions with this...if you like onions.  WE do red  btw

great combo

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

Wasn't that hungry tonight. I don't know why. Took a duck breast and skinned and sliced thinly (reserving said skin). Marinated in Shaoxing wine with garlic, ginger, chilli and dried tangerine peel.

Stir fried with shiitake and fresh ramen noodles. Finished with Chinese chives and coriander leaf/cilantro.

duck1.thumb.jpg.f925799db74bbe4c99b8079362b4db7d.jpg

duck2.thumb.jpg.75bf2b3784a006ab158a79cd3344e980.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 17

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

We had our 'dinner club' last night....New Orleans Cajun was the theme.  One couple had never had this kind of food before and were blown away by it.  We started with a Sazerac cocktail and how very appropriate it was.  I made Paul Prudhomme's BBQ Shrimp served with the DH's home made bread to mop all that delicious sauce.  Yes I made it according to the recipe..all 13 tablespoons of butter.  This was a real hit.  It had just the right amount of spice for everyone.  The hosts made Paul's Cajun Shepards Pie accompanied by Paul's Very Hot Cajun Sauce for Beef and Corn Maque Choux.  The shepards pie has match stick vegetables between the meat and potato components.  Oh, and that sauce.  It was exactly the correct sauce for the pie.  Again, the newbies to Cajun food really enjoyed the new flavours.  The newbies brought Banana Fosters Trifle which wasn't too sweet.  We were all so full.  Sorry no pictures.

• Like 15

Sheet pan (part of it) dinner. Honey mustard mixture on some chicken breasts, Baked at 400 on foil lined sheet pan, midway thru added a couple of halves of twice baked potatoes that were leftover from Thanksgiving (they defrost/reheat well). Potato shells crisped up a bit, nice. Microwaved froz peas for the veg. Sometimes I need a dinner with 10 minute prep.

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I've only cooked once in the last two weeks, while Moe was in the Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria.   Sent by ambulance from Duncan Emergency on November 19th.   He had lost pulse and blood flow to his left foot. They found an aneurysm in the Popliteal artery that runs behind the knee.  Needed bypass surgery.    I stayed in Victoria, but I came home for one night and decided I needed something besides restaurant food.  Picked up some fresh halibut. Not local but from Norway.   

1793762702_HalibutNovember28th2018.thumb.jpg.2c29515835de7943c4c8c0a8d670cee8.jpg

Prepared simply.

1921000255_HalibutNovember28th20181.thumb.jpg.606173ba8fadfe672daacd4fe0148cc6.jpg

pan roasted with a lemon butter sauce.  

576630403_ChickenRicesoupmadewithturkeybrothDecember1st20181.thumb.jpg.b770943383c6409c7cb9b399a76807ef.jpg

Brought Moe home yesterday and  all he wanted for dinner was soup.  So I put a pot on to simmer. Chicken rice soup.    Pulled a baguette out of the freezer. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 14

23 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I've only cooked once in the last two weeks, while Moe was in the Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria.   Sent by ambulance from Duncan Emergency on November 19th.   He had lost pulse and blood flow to his left foot. They found an aneurysm in the Popliteal artery that runs behind the knee.  Needed bypass surgery.   

[...]

Brought Moe home yesterday and  all he wanted for dinner was soup.  So I put a pot on to simmer. Chicken rice soup.    Pulled a baguette out of the freezer. 

Oh Ann, that's the kind of drama no one wants! I hope Moe is recovering OK. I'm hoping it didn't burst and/or produce clots, but I don't entirely understand that type of aneurysm. I'm sure your lovely food will help him and I bet he's very happy to be home! That soup and bread looks so lovely, it represents a warm and welcoming hearth.  

• Like 8

Knowing the wonderful meals that await him, he probably healed at warp speed.  So glad your story had a happy ending and I look forward to reading about many more amazing meals.  There hasn't been a breakfast you have posted that hadn't made my mouth water!

• Like 5

Thanks @KennethT, @liuzhou, @Okanagancook, @FauxPas,  Apparently it was a clot that caused the loss of pulse and blood flow.   We were at our wood shop when all of a sudden he had a pain in his left foot and his calf and he couldn't walk .  We were getting ready to leave anyway so he just wanted me to take him home.  Wasn't happy with me when I took him to emergency instead.  Good thing I did, because his toes were turning blue.   A cat scan showed the aneurysm and they immediately started him on blood thinners and got on the phone with a vascular surgeon in the Victoria hospital.   By the time he came back from getting the cat scan, blood had started flowing again but they were still having trouble finding a pulse.  Ambulance arrived shortly after and he was on his way to the Royal Jubilee hospital in Victoria.  They operated on Saturday and he was in surgery for five hours.   

• Like 6
  • Sad 7

49 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Thanks @KennethT, @liuzhou, @Okanagancook, @FauxPas,  Apparently it was a clot that caused the loss of pulse and blood flow.   We were at our wood shop when all of a sudden he had a pain in his left foot and his calf and he couldn't walk .  We were getting ready to leave anyway so he just wanted me to take him home.  Wasn't happy with me when I took him to emergency instead.  Good thing I did, because his toes were turning blue.   A cat scan showed the aneurysm and they immediately started him on blood thinners and got on the phone with a vascular surgeon in the Victoria hospital.   By the time he came back from getting the cat scan, blood had started flowing again but they were still having trouble finding a pulse.  Ambulance arrived shortly after and he was on his way to the Royal Jubilee hospital in Victoria.  They operated on Saturday and he was in surgery for five hours.   

Best wishes for a full recovery.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou