• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

@Duvel  White on Rice Couple often do a lower carb plan. Los Angeles based food photographers who garden. Their zucchini tortillas get good reviews:  https://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/zucchini-tortillas/  I am not carb sensitive, just full on sugar reactive so have not tried them.

Edited by heidih (log)

4 hours ago, kayb said:

I have come to the conclusion the best part of smoked dark-meat turkey is use of the leftovers in smoked turkey posole. Made with Rancho Gordo hominy. It'll make you change your mind about turkey, if you're not a turkey fan.

I distinctly remember reading this 1994 article bout posole when it was published and found it recently online. I thought it worth sharing here  http://articles.latimes.com/1994-10-13/food/fo-49542_1_red-posole

16 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Duvel  White on Rice Couple often do a lower carb plan. Los Angeles based food photographers who garden. Their zucchini tortillas get good reviews:  https://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/zucchini-tortillas/  I am not carb sensitive, just full on sugar reactive so have not tried them.

Thanks, @heidih!

I have come to the conclusion that the fiber component can be very flexible, as long as you can process it to the desired size and it has a neutral flavor. So, egg + cream cheese + partly cooked and desiccated veggie pulp does make a usable tortilla / flat bread substitute. Next time, when zucchinis are on offer, I'll give it a try ...

Three minute pizza...

Pizza11262018.png

@Duvel no cauliflower were harmed.  I continue to work on my technique.  I had been heating the oven with the aluminum plate to 550F then turning on the broiler before loading the pie.  Result the stove shuts off for over temperature and the bottom burns.

This time I reduced the oven temperature to 525F.  At three minutes the top was a little overdone and the bottom was just slightly blackened.  I have had worse.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker - Are you using the top rack?

When I was still making Pizza (damn you Celiac!) I would put the baking steel top rack, blast the Wolf (gas model) to about 550 - broiler for 7 minutes before I put the pizza on, back to 550 -

While I did not achieve 3 minute pizza's (the time, quite frankly, is irrelevant), it did generate a great crumb, crisp crust and nicely cooked toppings.

The things I have to put up with! Life is so difficult! It's scandalous.

Tonight I was forced to have dinner in a private room in a local restaurant with five lovely women half my age. And damn it! The place had good food, too.

Five old friends I haven't seen for a couple of years. I chose the restaurant and most of what we ate.

In random order as usual:

1012895671_mangobeef.thumb.jpg.132741d184e7f17984c3de39572b91f3.jpg

Thai Style Mango Beef

2057137169_chickenshrimp.thumb.jpg.dd6a1c78d24fe2d2164bdc2331085d1d.jpg

Chicken and Shrimp Stew

grouper.thumb.jpg.736a5df222ef486f495a66ba1b493e89.jpg

Steamed Yellow Grouper

lotus.thumb.jpg.5c6c886fc6442a0b8e59f1a3095c83a0.jpg

This is described on the menu as "荷塘月色 (hé táng yuè sè) which means "lotus pond moonlight".

It's stir-fried lotus root, Chinese celery, wood-ear fungus and carrot.

tomyum.thumb.jpg.b061c9c0979e4892cecfbfd13f6eac7f.jpg

Tom Yum Soup - There are shrimp lurking under the broth. It was very good.

rice.thumb.jpg.72201e1b67cfa63482a6b13dfd2e9ae2.jpg

Soy sauce rice with pork and chilli

sijidou.thumb.jpg.2200c990f75ecc282842ab8b175005f7.jpg

Stir fried green beans with Chinese olive paste and pork floss

420656647_springrolls.thumb.jpg.e70a1446fd99cdd3bd476a97fe525324.jpg

Thai style spring rolls

fruit.thumb.jpg.4dc54204ae25e66402f61ff6c2ff3012.jpg

Fruit to finish

The suffering. The suffering. And I'm having lunch with one of them tomorrow!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, heidih said:

I used to follow White on Rice.  One day I left a polite, slightly critical review of something they had posted.  My comments showed up on their web site.  Before the day was out, they had removed my comment.  I went through a bunch of their posts and nary a negative review did I find at which point I stopped following them.  I no longer follow any web sites that have no negative comments.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

liuzhou, I would like to add my sympathy if only I had any. I've looked and looked for my tiny violin but can't find it at the moment.  Please, just

pretend you hear a sad song that expresses my feelings for having  to eat that horrible meal.  It must have been sheer hell and the addition

of corn would have been the final blow.  You should probably turn down all future invites knowing  how you had to suffer........😁

Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou Was that tom yum soup made with coconut milk or anything?  It looks more opaque than I'd expect..

Yes, it had coconut milk. Tom yam kathi ( ต้มยำกะทิ) style.

In my experience tom yum soups are usually opaque, but then then are many kinds.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, IowaDee said:

liuzhou, I would like to add my sympathy if only I had any. I've looked and looked for my tiny violin but can't find it at the moment.  Please, just

pretend you hear a sad song that expresses my feelings for have to eat that horrible meal.  It must have been sheer hell and the addition

of corn would have been the final blow.  You should probably turn down all future invites knowing  how you had to suffer........😁

Poor, baby.

I'd feel for you @liuzhou but I can't quite reach.....

• Haha 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5 hours ago, TicTac said:

@JoNorvelleWalker - Are you using the top rack?

When I was still making Pizza (damn you Celiac!) I would put the baking steel top rack, blast the Wolf (gas model) to about 550 - broiler for 7 minutes before I put the pizza on, back to 550 -

While I did not achieve 3 minute pizza's (the time, quite frankly, is irrelevant), it did generate a great crumb, crisp crust and nicely cooked toppings.

Yes, top rack.  With 1 inch aluminum plate on top of that.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Tragic.

All I can say is that somewhere along the line you got exactly what you deserve.😂

Beneath that crusty crust lies some very soft dough. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Haha 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

87CA009E-3FA8-4EB5-8242-E0DC5EB0DE32.thumb.jpeg.808dc0bf85c8b7a0f315e602f04aac1c.jpeg

Rice with seasoned nori, boned and stuffed chicken leg (chicken Maryland), sesame dipping sauce and sugar snaps and grape tomatoes. 

And a close up of the chicken dish which I managed to produce while dealing with a major oil spill. The Coast Guard was not involved on this occasion.

25498831-B2FD-4096-9D81-F3F42B4100A4.thumb.jpeg.a6abf9c2d55956ec59e642b4aa5df940.jpeg

Stuffed with scallions. I mostly followed a recipe here but once the chicken rolls were steamed I dried them off, brushed them with some oil and put them in the oven at 425°F for 10 or so minutes just to give them some colour.  

Just an aside. Chicken Marylands (or chicken leg quarters as they are often called) are remarkably inexpensive in my area of Southern Ontario and this treatment really makes them quite posh. Of course you have to be willing to remove those damn bones which is not nearly as difficult as you think it is.  Chicken ballotine for novices (or chickens). 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Captain said:

Sunday pork ribs and some lamb lion chops. 

“And the lamb shall down with the lion.”  Sorry I couldn’t help myself. It’s been a rough day. Your food looks marvellous.

• Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Belated Thanksgiving Dinner post: Capon prepared using the Thompson's Turkey recipe (read: coated with a spice paste with egg yolk base, accompanied by stuffing with a couple dozen ingredients and giblet gravy with cider). Mashed potatoes. Slow-cooked ham. Home made cranberry sauce (made by Kelly). Roasted blue hubbard squash. Roasted brussels sprouts with bacon, maple syrup, and roasted chestnuts. Dessert was blue hubbard pie from Piecemeal Pies

46520435_1793935247383737_6196730255768551424_n.jpg

46502097_2206669646254269_2480298580707901440_n.jpg

46505794_343801636171747_4782139088423616512_n.jpg

• Like 8

Picked up 2 sides of salmon at Aldi today along with a stalk of brussel sprouts.  Never seen this in a store.  The stalks and sprouts went into the CSO.   The belly got a sweet marinade and got tossed in the smoker.  Light orange salad to break the richness of the dish

9CD2D571-AEA1-4258-8A97-D7F5DE244116.jpeg

BBF98DFD-9851-4F66-A881-863EEC5E60D5.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 10

@scubadoo97  Wht is the yellowish marrow looking first image - the BS stalk? We have been getting the stalks with attched sprouts for a number of years. Though they present as "fresher" I have found them to be dried out a bit because of the way they are shipped and stored. There is an article in the book Edible where the farmer describes the early days for organic farmers transporing organic produce to market and the whole cool down/icing issue. It was by our own farmer whose wife blogged here years ago. Fascinating. Farming is tough stuff requiring passion  http://www.mariquita.com/Farmers Market/whatwerebringing.html   

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

Chicken roasted in CSO steam bake 450 for 50 minutes.  I prefer pre heated cast iron skillet in convection oven method but it takes longer.  CSO chicken is done in 50 minutes while I am sipping lovely WA Pinot sent by our thoughtful  DIL.

0157950B-85F8-4B19-A77C-BCC28F9D89B0.thumb.jpeg.384a6179e680ee5182094fc0137934c4.jpeg

• Like 14