• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

As a former cafeteria dishwasher in my college days, that roasting pan made me cringe. All of the cooks in the cafeteria were ex-US Navy and didn't give one rat's ass to charring/roasting the heck out of their food because they didn't have to clean the pans themselves. I cursed each and everyone of them and thanked God for whoever invented the hot water hose with the forceful spray nozzle that dispensed boiling hot water that helped me clean those burnt-on pans. >:( xD

That is why I abuse foil!!! Too many years as a kid scrubbing the dang broiler pan since steak was on the menu constantly...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 chicken breasts turned into fritters - eggs, coconut flour, dill, shredded mozza cheese

Eaten with Mango Chili sauce or Chipotle Mayo - from a bottle...

556321582_CheeseChickenFritters7740.jpg.7e3acd4e3750d19090720ef0843c4501.jpg

• Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've been waiting and waiting to get a copy.  A friend has Simple sitting on our hold shelf.  I hate her.

If a real friend I bet he/she would let you peruse it over the holiday.

• Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Long cooked fresh tomato sauce with onion, chilli (green and red)  and Vietnamese fish sauce for umami.

Beef and chickpeas. Randomly decorated with basil leaves as I needed to thin out my balcony plants.

Rice.

dinner1.thumb.jpg.f2ad448a870da48a538856391dcdf685.jpg

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

22 hours ago, TicTac said:

$8 for a pack of pasta!?

Only in NY! ;)

I don't think you can find Faella any cheaper than that...I don't use it all the time, but when I want the pasta itself to be great, it is one of the best imported brands.

Now, if I were making mac 'n cheese for a bunch of kids, Ronzoni.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 hours ago, suzilightning said:

If a real friend I bet he/she would let you peruse it over the holiday.

Naw, she worked our adult reference desk for I recall seventeen years.  She does not take her holds lightly.  But she is my neighbor so maybe I could steal it from her house.  Unfortunately we tend to read the same books.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Our now traditional Thanksgiving dinner... Peking duck (it's actually Cantonese roast duck served with steamed buns, hoisin sauce and celery/carrot/green onion, but then again, the old school restaurants in NYC's Chinatown are all Cantonese).  We got the whole duck which comes in 2 courses - the meat and skin served on top of shrimp chips, then the carcass meat stir fried with oyster sauce and veggies, and stir fried pea shoots with garlic. 

20181122_175849.thumb.jpg.250af261a3f71dbe4aadbcc0fd9b796d.jpg

20181122_175902.thumb.jpg.b7492db31ea45b446abaf9e7f17b5f8a.jpg

20181122_180158.thumb.jpg.3b2c0ffac67cb63949dc1b39700d14b7.jpg

20181122_180558.thumb.jpg.c68500ef0b9bf7d3f128750b865709ee.jpg

20181122_180603.thumb.jpg.8975731ad1d2093c26657d629b8deaa0.jpg

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Dinner tonight was spot on! It was roasted turkey at little Sis's house out in the boonies of NC. She also made really good gravy from the drippings, mashed potatoes, stuffing cooked in a separate dish, homemade cranberry sauce (not a fan, and no one else was either), Watergate salad and lovely homemade rolls. All I brought was lima beans (eldest niece's favorite, and mine) and the infamous French's green bean casserole.

Sis is a really good cook and usually fries the turkey outdoors, but opted for roasted this year so we could have the good homemade gravy. She's a good enough cook that even the breasts were moist and tender. The bird was done to the bone, but there was still a ton of juice pouring out as it was carved. This juice got poured over the platter of meat. Everything was so, so good and I got to enjoy the company of my family to boot!

After Sis, my eldest niece and I went down to the pasture to play with the horses, we came back to the house where most of us enjoyed the pecan and apple pies she made. There was vanilla ice cream too. 

Unfortunately I had gorged so much on the sumptuous meal that I was not able to partake of dessert at that time. No matter. Sis offered me some pie to take home and I replied I that I liked both the apple and pecan varieties. I did not know that she was going to send me home with two large slices of each! She is determined to get me fat. xD

I told her to keep all the leftover butterbeans and eldest niece was excited about eating those for lunch. I have another big bag at home I will cook little by little over the course of the next month. I have so much in common with this niece that I sent a copy of "Black Beauty" (Anna Sewell) when she was a wee little thing. So good to see everyone again, and such killer food. There is nothing like a beautifully roasted turkey with homemade gravy and plenty of it for everyone. (I tend to be a gravy hog, putting it on turkey, potatoes and stuffiing, so it's nice if you do not have to be so polite and make sure there is some for everyone when it's that good.)

Happy Thanksgiving, eGulleters!

• Like 13

> ^ . . ^ <

We are Air BnBing it this weekend and on arrival discovered a beautiful flame grill Bbq - so I rushed to the supermarket (only thing open) bought nearly ALL the animals (I'll catch you tomorrow lil piggy) rushed back .... aaannnd cooked it all inside because there was no gas. 

20181123_203811.thumb.jpg.2d4025aedaab948b732109d90a29b91a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 12

863BDE73-2386-4442-8706-80EB8944DB76.thumb.jpeg.97d073160be62590c86eebcef6170b24.jpeg

Taco rice. A little background.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, CantCookStillTry said:

We are Air BnBing it this weekend and on arrival discovered a beautiful flame grill Bbq - so I rushed to the supermarket (only thing open) bought nearly ALL the animals (I'll catch you tomorrow lil piggy) rushed back .... aaannnd cooked it all inside because there was no gas. 

LOL That was the denouement of my last adventure in grilling, as well. I lit the flame, went back inside to fetch the chops, and when I returned the gas had run out.

Of course it was very much the end of the season here (that was two weeks ago, and the wind chill this morning is -25 C for the second straight day) so I just called it "a sign" and put the cover over my grill. :)

• Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Thanksgiving Turkey - made on the smoker.  Served with yams, green beans in butter, baked beans, regular stuffing and gluten-free stuffing, and mushroom gravy.  Blueberry pie with gluten-free crust and lactose-free vanilla ice cream for dessert.

turkey18.jpg.36d7cc86b27f4bc89adf4e71db92e359.jpg

• Like 14

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Appetizers/tapas for dinner. Served intermittently while the house is christmassed-up.

Gravlax on rye

007.thumb.jpg.c20ab9056eac1a544a241a9e9e07cb00.jpg

Deviled eggs

013.thumb.jpg.c5d8c5c38873554a158275ea412d4f33.jpg

SV shrimp (135 x 15min) in butter/pimenton/sherry vinegar sauce on rounds of baguette

018.thumb.jpg.acee9c20147e6788f15dd46b26be0945.jpg

Albondigas in a slightly spicy tomato sauce

021.thumb.jpg.574e45cfc653d01810149095778683af.jpg

• Like 13