• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

Last Neck Squash- w/ raw brown sugar/ Vietnamese cinnamon / nutmeg /salt

Pickled Mushroom

Brown Rice

31034284027_a3555b9131_b.jpg

It looks gorgeous.  How did you cook neck squash?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chefmd said:

It looks gorgeous.  How did you cook neck squash?

This neck was toward the bulb side..I think the flavor is richer!!

Baking sheet with foil, middle to top rack 375 cook till about 175 ( I don't cook by time, could be 35 mins maybe ).  I was cooking meatloaf too.. I then cranked the convection oven to 425, switched the two which

put the squash one level up from bottom, allows for a nice bottom crust. Cook till 205 ish cool.  was very creamy

Put a bit of evoo on bottom, bit of butter on top ( I added that a bit later )..  used a raw brown sugar on top, salt , fresh grated nutmeg,  I had some Vietnamese cinnamon .  I added too..  Used the seeds from the bulb, added touch of brown raw sugar and salt..cooked those in upper level.. they cook pretty fast and I didn't want to burn them, careful..  nice crunch to the squash   

• Like 4

Its good to have Morels

Took out a cryovac package of pork tenderloin, and there were two!

Last night, made Tonkatsu, cauliflower mac'n'cheese, and Shanghai Bak Choy

242862193_TonkatsuCaulif.macnCheese7736.jpg.2bef81e912b7d572fcc305805a31f993.jpg

The second tenderloin...Mexican Pork Tenderloin Verde

1728733107_MexicanPorkTenderloinVerde7738.jpg.cfa30e4665d15ebe84f3e791924bcd79.jpg

Pork was well seasoned with cumin, then browned in a hot pan. Poured bottled salsa verde into the pan with the pork, covered and simmered for 20 minutes. Not a fan of salsa verde...😯

• Like 16

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Last night's dinner:

Dinner11212018.png

Whole Roasted Branzino from the CSO Recipe Booklet.  A favorite dish of mine.  Citrus and fennel, herbs and shallots, garlic and Piment d'Espelette.

• Like 17
  • Delicious 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, dcarch said:

Many thanks to liuzhou for the epic Chinese vegetables documentary. It inspires me to try more new ideas.

dcarch

SV chicken on  " bitter melon ".

Was on my mined too..  I just didnt get around to using mine quick enough and they got soggy     .   I was going to make mine into Ken's soup

Paul

8 hours ago, dcarch said:

Its good to have Morels

We had red beans and rice. Didn't manage to take a picture. Good housemade sausage from some little meat market down in Louisiana. Plenty of ham and chicken, too.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

As soon as I finish my computer work 😀I'm going to put together a couple of lasagnas - one for me, one gluten free to hit the freezer for when John gets home from the other side of the world.  Then to take Angie out for her noon walk.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

When life hands you...

45935351982_eec5c28d85_z.jpg

This can be the result...

32113818158_79ae963c30_z.jpg

Faella spaghetti with Long Island littleneck clams. A tiny bit of diced tomato, lemon zest, and chives.

There is nothin' like a clam,

Nothin' in this world

There is nothin' you can name

That is anything like a clam

(Lyrics from South Pacific updated for #metoo.) Nothing makes me more homesick for NY than littlenecks. Those look heartbreakingly yummy. Right now I'm looking out on the ocean at the mouth of Tomales Bay. There is actually a band of breathable air at the coast now and it is, thank the gods, raining  in the north bay and bay area. But the only clams you can dig up here at Dillon Beach are geoduck, and I've never done it. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night's dinner:

Dinner11212018.png

Whole Roasted Branzino from the CSO Recipe Booklet.  A favorite dish of mine.  Citrus and fennel, herbs and shallots, garlic and Piment d'Espelette.

As a former cafeteria dishwasher in my college days, that roasting pan made me cringe. All of the cooks in the cafeteria were ex-US Navy and didn't give one rat's ass to charring/roasting the heck out of their food because they didn't have to clean the pans themselves. I cursed each and everyone of them and thanked God for whoever invented the hot water hose with the forceful spray nozzle that dispensed boiling hot water that helped me clean those burnt-on pans. >:( xD

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Gigli with Chickpeas and Za’atar from Ottolenghi's Simple.

fullsizeoutput_385a.thumb.jpeg.0228c48b8642f16d448d032dbac48872.jpeg

A quick pantry dish where the cooking method and seasonings (thyme, cumin, garlic, onion, anchovy, lemon juice and zest, chicken stock, parsley) infuse a good bit of flavor into the chickpeas.

I'd just as soon use more greens, skip the pasta and serve with pita or flat bread and yogurt.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Toliver said:

As a former cafeteria dishwasher in my college days, that roasting pan made me cringe. All of the cooks in the cafeteria were ex-US Navy and didn't give one rat's ass to charring/roasting the heck out of their food because they didn't have to clean the pans themselves. I cursed each and everyone of them and thanked God for whoever invented the hot water hose with the forceful spray nozzle that dispensed boiling hot water that helped me clean those burnt-on pans. >:( xD

with you there!  hot water and baking soda for the duck pans.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

Soaked it over night in the sink and it cleaned right up.  I probably should have used parchment though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Gigli with Chickpeas and Za’atar from Ottolenghi's Simple.

fullsizeoutput_385a.thumb.jpeg.0228c48b8642f16d448d032dbac48872.jpeg

A quick pantry dish where the cooking method and seasonings (thyme, cumin, garlic, onion, anchovy, lemon juice and zest, chicken stock, parsley) infuse a good bit of flavor into the chickpeas.

I'd just as soon use more greens, skip the pasta and serve with pita or flat bread and yogurt.

I've been waiting and waiting to get a copy.  A friend has Simple sitting on our hold shelf.  I hate her.

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've been waiting and waiting to get a copy.  A friend has Simple sitting on our hold shelf.  I hate her.

I'll be interested to hear what you think. It's nice that it offers suggestions for making things ahead and identifies "pantry" and easy recipes but for me, it's not Ottolenghi's best book.  

Edited to add that it did garner the "Vintner Food & Drink Book of the Year) award at the British National Book Awards last night.

Edited by blue_dolphin
add award info (log)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

I bet the steam clean setting would fix that pan

• Like 2