• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Last night was another weird meal in my super stressed, crazy life – bean/cheese dip and chips:

DSCN8773.JPG.f293e142959c544b586af5a047c0002c.JPG

Just canned refried beans with mild queso.  And I had all the ingredients and the craving, so I made sausage balls:

DSCN8774.JPG.cafd4b67556feb4793b3ac9ed87b00ef.JPG

They basically functioned as the bread for our meal.  My favorite kind of bread – packed with meat and cheese!  And then…horror of horrors:

DSCN8776.JPG.0ba847f9470bde8bc4214f01c63e31dd.JPG

Frozen fried fish.  With green beans and corn.  Sigh.  @Maggie the Cat helped me NOT be ashamed of eating frozen fish.  If Miss M can eat frozen fish tacos, then so can I.  The tartar sauce was homemade, though😁.

Tonight was the bean/cheese dip again. And hot dogs, baked beans, fixed up mac n cheese and some of the best applesauce I’ve ever had:

DSCN8782.JPG.58dcdba2e3e71a48a2d1fe35f05e8a2b.JPG

The applesauce was some from an orchard in Charlottesville that my in laws brought for us.  Fixings:

DSCN8780.thumb.JPG.0c3db087393df0b029ac64776b582b2e.JPG

Chili, jalapenos, kraut, and day-glo green slaw.  The slaw is funny looking, but very good - from Star's in Burlington NC.

• Like 12

18 hours ago, HungryChris said:

No, these were 1/3 LB. burgers that I got at Aldi. Normally, I will only buy  local, freshly ground beef, but circumstances forced me to make a change yesterday.

HC

I was just giving you a hard time because the burger didn't appear to be on the plate.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

We were invited to visit friends who live on an acreage about 1.5 hours from us. Cindy was making East Indian food, so I offered to make appetizer - Moroccan Spiced Beef Cigars,  which I hadn't made for a long time!
Then the weather went all crazy...snowed since early hours of the morning, sleet, etc, which made for icy road conditions. We wisely decided to postpone our visit.

Meanwhile, I had made the appetizers...

1120848516_MoroccanSpicedCigaes7575.thumb.jpg.aec9e444d92f4f115671c887883599c0.jpg

Added a couple onto each plate of leftover Beef Bourguignon, mashed cauliflower, and peas, which eased the disappointment of missing a much anticipated Indian dinner!

2052700826_SpicedCigars7612.jpg.18555ab140c38fd566b71f4fcfab4077.jpg

I also made a bowl of mango pudding. Hope the grandkids will be able to come up tomorrow to help polish off this big bowl!

210840401_MangoPudding7579.jpg.c0ad4dd84a60c5f9cfeb05275f44f137.jpg

• Like 21

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

do the clam beds close due to pollution run-off expected with rain ?

They close any time there is more than an inch of rain in a 24 hour period, usually for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, they take samples to a testing lab for tests and go from there. They can never be sure what the storm has washed  into the river. Once the shellfish are deemed healthy and free of harmful bacteria, they will open up the beds again.

HC

• Like 3

Once again, I marvel at my penchant for buying cookbooks when there is regular inspiration on these forums. That looks gorgeous, easy and delicious, @shain.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

20 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I was just giving you a hard time because the burger didn't appear to be on the plate.

I think the burger, covered with cheese, looks a lot like the roll, so I see where you are coming from.

HC

• Like 1

Something we enjoy but never seem to remember to make it: liver and onions!
I made the green peppercorn gravy (package fare) to go with it, along with carrot fries, roasted potatoes, and lots of sauteed onions.

Next time, it will HAVE to be lamb liver!

1678516474_LiverOnions7623.jpg.989e15325147c1d0c08da7b8245c83a6.jpg

• Like 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

What liver was it this time?

Beef...and it was prepackaged, so cut too thin for my liking. Just remembered we DO have an abattoir close to the city who will have lamb liver. THAT is not readily available in our supermarkets.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 minute ago, Dejah said:

Beef...and it was prepackaged, so cut too thin for my liking. Just remembered we DO have an abattoir close to the city who will have lamb liver. THAT is not readily available in our supermarkets.

I love lamb's liver (and even better, calves') but both impossible to find here in southern China. I only get the pig liver. I used to buy beef liver to feed to my cat when I lived in Hunan. Never ate it myself.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I love lamb's liver (and even better, calves') but both impossible to find here in southern China. I only get the pig liver. I used to buy beef liver to feed to my cat when I lived in Hunan. Never ate it myself.

We prefer lamb's liver. At one time, living in the rural town, we would buy a whole lamb and have it butchered. No one else ever wanted the liver and kidney, so we got them all!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Still too tired for real cooking.

Dinner11082018.png

"Wild Mushroom Ragu" liberated and carried home from last weekend's catered event.  I made up a batch of polenta as an accompaniment.  Salted with ten year Parmigiano-Reggiano.  Quite satisfactory.

• Like 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

839D1E7F-2D75-4E04-9483-415212031ADC.thumb.jpeg.1e7d8421b895102c7ee3194f39651dac.jpeg

On the way to dinner— tiny potatoes with sweet-spicy miso paste. 

BBE80B35-11F4-4CFC-9386-F6FD89D83F1F.thumb.jpeg.957afc1d27398c41bec0b10e8369e176.jpeg

Served with teriyaki chicken balls, a perilla wrapped chicken patty, rice with umeboshi  paste and peppers sautéed with onion. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Agreed.  Calves liver is a favourite here as well.

As well, chicken livers fried with balsamic reduction, onions and rosemary is pretty awesome too.

18 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Agreed.  Calves liver is a favourite here as well.

As well, chicken livers fried with balsamic reduction, onions and rosemary is pretty awesome too.

Yes. I get chicken livers easily too, which I use in various ways. I see fish livers, too. Not sure which fish.  Never been down that road.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

14 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Kim Shook  Do you have a link to those sausage balls?

Here you go!  These are hard to get mixed thoroughly.  I use my Kitchen Aid (metal paddle attachment), then get in there with my hands to really mix it up.  Since it is pork sausage, it can take a beating 😉.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1