• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Pizza Night.

Pizza night here too, but I am fortifying myself before I throw the pizza in the oven, and anyway I'm sure mine will not look as good as yours.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner10252018.png

Not as pretty as @Ann_T's but got the job done.  Actually I suspect the broiler never really came on.  The bottom of the pie was blackened but the top crust remained raw.  I may trouble shoot this when I'm sober.  Or I may just pretend it never happened.

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

3 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner10252018.png

Not as pretty as @Ann_T's but got the job done.  Actually I suspect the broiler never really came on.  The bottom of the pie was blackened but the top crust remained raw.  I may trouble shoot this when I'm sober.  Or I may just pretend it never happened.

Well, it certainly looks delicious. I guess it could have raw dough in the center, but it doesn't appear to.

> ^ . . ^ <

14 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Well, it certainly looks delicious. I guess it could have raw dough in the center, but it doesn't appear to.

I confess there is not much of it left.  But seriously, the top has no leopardizing while the bottom crust is black.  The pie should have been done in three minutes but I let it go four and a half minutes trying to get some color on the top.  All I can think of was that the broiler was not really on.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I confess there is not much of it left.  But seriously, the top has no leopardizing while the bottom crust is black.  The pie should have been done in three minutes but I let it go four and a half minutes trying to get some color on the top.  All I can think of was that the broiler was not really on.

Did you switch it on ?

Tonight I made a popular local dish.  啤酒鸭 (pí jiǔ yā).

A mix of duck leg and breast meat and the liver. Braised with garlic, ginger, chilli, Sichuan peppercorns, local beer and 豆瓣酱 (dòu bàn jiàng) - spicy fermented  broad bean paste, known only in America as "Toban Djan". Finished with scallions. Served with stir fried Shanghai bok choy and rice.

This is a powerfully flavoured dish. If your Asian store has 豆瓣酱 (dòu bàn jiàng) from Pixian 郫县 (pí xiàn) in Sichuan, buy it! It is by far the best. Cheaper varieties, including Lee Kum Kee, cut corners and sub soy beans for the broad beans - not the same at all.

dinner.thumb.jpg.89566c14a49fe7fbc91d253a48bd0c55.jpg

duck.thumb.jpg.bb3d1b42bed712e4daa98afde19fd057.jpg

shanghai.thumb.jpg.37822e6eedc8be04c50faef540aa56c1.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@Ann_T ok, I am starting the car and I will be there tomorrow for PIZZA and BREAD!

855497469_BaguettesOctober24th2018.thumb.jpg.5e5d228c8864f6b1911807e7e4df147d.jpg

@Okanagancook, Pizza is gone, but there is bread.  It came out of the oven late last night.   The pizza and the bread were both  from my favourite baguette dough.

Baked in the CSO.    

959826656_BaguettesOctober24th20182.thumb.jpg.6141ea6b1be3c96867b31520a9f2dded.jpg

Sliced this morning.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

45 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Tonight I made a popular local dish.  啤酒鸭 (pí jiǔ yā).

A mix of duck leg and breast meat and the liver. Braised with garlic, ginger, chilli, Sichuan peppercorns, local beer and 豆瓣酱 (dòu bàn jiàng) - spicy fermented  broad bean paste, known only in America as "Toban Djan". Finished with scallions. Served with stir fried Shanghai bok choy and rice.

This is a powerfully flavoured dish. If your Asian store has 豆瓣酱 (dòu bàn jiàng) from Pixian 郫县 (pí xiàn) in Sichuan, buy it! It is by far the best. Cheaper varieties, including Lee Kum Kee, cut corners and sub soy beans for the broad beans - not the same at all.

I just got some Pixian doubanjiang (among other things)!  My wife and I used to eat a lot of sichuan food until the awesome sichuan restaurant right near us burned down.  All the others that we've tried (that are close enough to deliver to us) are horrible by comparison, so I  figured we could try to make our own.

20181014_152836.thumb.jpg.46ca13e1f1aed20ad4e925cb76f2dc26.jpg

• Like 7

Cooked some lamb chops from All About Roasting.  You make a thin bed of salt and bake the chops at 475 convection for about 9 minutes.  No smoke or mess and the chops were medium rare.  I did trim them up well before cooking.

DSC02806.thumb.jpg.41589b32b44c3ec7eb94d626b1c49690.jpgDSC02808.thumb.jpg.87a70fde2ba6577869fce7528d82eb2a.jpgDSC02810.thumb.jpg.17c6b69d62468c1c020d3b90783b0862.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

30 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Cooked some lamb chops from All About Roasting.  You make a thin bed of salt and bake the chops at 475 convection for about 9 minutes.  No smoke or mess and the chops were medium rare.  I did trim them up well before cooking.

DSC02806.thumb.jpg.41589b32b44c3ec7eb94d626b1c49690.jpgDSC02808.thumb.jpg.87a70fde2ba6577869fce7528d82eb2a.jpgDSC02810.thumb.jpg.17c6b69d62468c1c020d3b90783b0862.jpg

Looks good.  What is that stuff that looks like relish?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Duvel said:

Did you switch it on ?

Don't know.  I thought I did.

When I went to put the pie in the oven the display didn't look right so I turned the broiler on again.  After three minutes I pulled the pizza but the top crust didn't look right.  There should have been leopardizing on the top but it looked rather raw.  So I put it in again for another minute.  Still no joy.  Then another thirty seconds.

After loading the poor pizza three times it wasn't as pretty as it might have been and stuff was dripping over the edges.  The top crust was still on this side of raw and the bottom crust was black.

Compare this pizza with my last pizza from the other night:

Dinner10252018.png

Pizza10112018.png

Edit:  the bottom pizza is 3 minutes.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 6