• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Although, it is good to be healthy, it is not good to be obsessive about it. One "unhealthy meal" in  a while won't hurt. And having been looking at vegetables all week for the Chinese vegetable topic, I avoided them tonight (except potatoes which are for the duration awarded an honorary exemption from vegetable-ness).

seoh.thumb.jpg.b1256e2fa4e7e10533343722e75a49c7.jpg

Home made Scotch eggs (chicken eggs) and chips.

There are two more in the fridge for later.

secu.thumb.jpg.f02c9ce39408ac1b9c088536b6baaee8.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

43 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Although, it is good to be healthy, it is not good to be obsessive about it. One "unhealthy meal" in  a while won't hurt. And having been looking at vegetable all week for the Chinese vegetable topic, I avoided them tonight (except potatoes which are for the duration awarded are honorary exemption from vegetable-ness).

seoh.thumb.jpg.b1256e2fa4e7e10533343722e75a49c7.jpg

Home made Scotch eggs (chicken eggs) and chips.

There are two more in the fridge for later.

secu.thumb.jpg.f02c9ce39408ac1b9c088536b6baaee8.jpg

Nice! I had only store-bought “mini” Scotch eggs from Waitrose, that our local supermarket carries (with quail eggs), and was a bit underwhelmed by the taste of the minced meat “hull”. Might have been simply the insufficient thickness but it makes me wonder  how you flavour yours ? 

Aaaand: congrats on the 6.666 😉

Edited by Duvel
Added acknowledgments ... (log)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Nice! I had only store-bought “mini” Scotch eggs from Waitrose, that our local supermarket carries (with quail eggs), and was a bit underwhelmed by the taste of the minced meat “hull”. Might have been simply the insufficient thickness but it makes me wonder  how you flavour yours ? 

Actually, I usually make them with quail eggs, too.

These were simply seasoned salt with black pepper (lots).  More usually, I add white pepper and chilli flakes to the pork casing. I've also used ground cumin  and coriander seed on occasion. I also, make them with a mix of pork and blood sausage.

Back in England, I would add various spices and herbs I can't get here. Or make them with sausage meat which was already flavoured.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 10/20/2018 at 7:16 PM, gfweb said:

Pork tenderloin roulade with arancini and hot sprout slaw

Kung Pao Shrimp

Roast chicken with potatoes and tomatoes caramelized in chicken drippings

An amazing and tasty spread, around the world and back in one dinner night, those times when you don't want to decide :) 

42 minutes ago, iggiggiggy said:

An amazing and tasty spread, around the world and back in one dinner night, those times when you don't want to decide :) 

It was 3 nights LOL.  But what a good idea!

Dinner for 6 last Sunday night

First finger food prep: cherry tomatoes, sliced in half, then roasted at 275F for several hours to become Cherry Tomato Chewies from Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven p. 60

image.png.84ba6d92acc8296367ea066189040e41.png

And after

image.png.903faefaa11f3f57251bddca1d9340d8.png

On left are finished Cherry Tomato Chewies. On right are Roasted Pecans which came from farmers' market and rinsed in warm water a few times and then drizzled with a little oil, some brown sugar and cayenne pepper based on post by @JAZ and p 56 Of Katzen's Vegetable Heaven.

image.thumb.png.73f66b4cfacbffb663bb453ee163565a.png

Next were crostini with thin slices of pear topped with a dollop of mixed cheese: Point Reyes Blue, Taleggio and Italian Fontina which was then broiled for a few minutes (sorry no photo)

Shaved fennel, grapefruit, and red bell pepper matchsticks with mint and parsley salad with a sauce made from fennel seed, sumac, honey, lime juice and zest from Dining In by Alison Roman p 103.

Barley and pomegranate salad from Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty p 238 included celery, pomegranate balsamic vinegar, allspice, dill, parsley, pomegranate and barley.

image.png.2dcc136c871f001a3619ff8d3dab5b61.png

Carmelized Squash with Toasted Coconut Gremolata from Dining In by Alison Roman p 48. I used butternut squash. Also herbs, lemon zest and juice, coconut oil and chips, honey, and a Turkish cayenne pepper. Here is the squash before the gremolata.

image.png.f11a6edd8904331063ac9946e5f9db23.png

and Turkish cayenne pepper (some of which were very hot!)

image.png.947843d874195c346c8614ecee964853.png

and presto! Carmelized Squash with Toasted Coconut Gremolata

image.png.46523bff12041d9e970b6113f614e8ed.png

Roasted Chestnut mushrooms (from the farmers' market)

image.png.9d7a2a05995206bd23c7e87d9105a4ba.png

Black beans and slow-cooked carmelized onions topped with Whipped Ricotta. Carmelized onions came from egullet. Can't remember where I saw whipped ricotta so ended up googling it. Used ricotta, cream cheese & cream. Sprinkled with and black sea salt flakes. The black beans came from one of my favourite persons at the farmers' market, so nice and fresh. 

image.png.c96983cc61cf98aa65b139ca466e740b.png

Sous vide leg of lamb at 131F for 24 hours (from egullet, with a check from Douglas Baldwin Sous Vide for the Home Cook)

image.png.1d2076a0ff2b53f80025d95a08901356.png

Creamer potatoes and tiny sweet potatoes (cooked sous vide). 

image.png.87e85025d915222a517731052e0d6517.png

In the beginning I perused a few recipes and made lists of possibilities, went to the market and bought fresh items which looked good, came home and assembled a timeline for making dishes. Actually I had the makings of, and started, a couple more dishes than I ended up finishing. I had roped in DH to assist and he pointed out that I had much too much food, so some of it's still in the fridge!

. . . and my friend brought dessert. 

I was comatose on Monday!

• Like 19
  • Delicious 3

Comfort food meals lately.

Cabbage rolls. Could've been a little tighter...

002.thumb.jpg.6ded8f02ee9c6e0f5a25ba91c57b41fb.jpg

008.thumb.jpg.745aeb9b09c7996b1ed6377ad358b0af.jpg

BBQ chicken , potato salad and bacon mac and cheese (made with bacon and bacon fat in the roux)

I repeatedly had to explain this is not two starches. It is a starch and a vegetable.  Duh

025.thumb.jpg.5f010dc390387c4cc71fe35ce0f0533f.jpg019.thumb.jpg.7b5e5be6c30f76c855cd6d46563947a2.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Those cabbage rolls look deliciously moist.  I have some out of the freezer for tomorrow’s dinner but they aren’ t as nice...need to work on the recipe....do not make this sort of dish often.

Me neither. @Anna N got me interested.  Mine need work.

• Like 2

@TdeV --- Sure wish I'd been on the guest list for that dinner.

@gfweb -- my Irish ancestors agree wholeheartedy that a potato is a vegetable. I'm due for potato salad -- my go-to comfort food.

Dinner tonight -- no photo -- is brown rice, with butter and brown sugar. Because I was in a mood.

I will have to have a protein shake before bed to get in the day's requirement of protein.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

That could be a nice topic for the next cook-off (wink wink) 😉

Been done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog