• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

For reasons that still escape me, I left my giant tongs in the picture and did not even see them until it was too late. I, like you, will just have to live with it! Last night we had Appleton Farms ham from Aldi. This ham is a true bargain, I believe. Every time I cook it, it amazes me. I will be getting rye bread and Swiss cheese tomorrow for the ham sandwiches that are destined to follow.

HC

IMG_2497.thumb.JPG.862f94708bce3ee0ae9594bea9f2ce23.JPGIMG_2499.thumb.JPG.51fda0d602297e2a4988b49ddf729913.JPGIMG_2502.thumb.JPG.3b1a29775f9d5540d8b16bfa2eee3dc0.JPGIMG_2501.thumb.JPG.b84ada21d252634ac41ee34c44855808.JPG

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

I have food now! It cost $28 to get it delivered through InstaCart from Food Lion, but I have food now.

So I had a great big chef salad with a couple of boiled eggs, shredded cheddar, Romaine hearts, spring mix, Campari tomatoes, cucumbers and shaved carrot. I mixed the veggies up with an Italian style dressing before topping it with the proteins, and it was very good .... After I removed the roast beef I also tried to use for a protein element.

I had placed some sliced up roast beef that came in my order around the perimeter of the salad. I did this after forcing myself to eat the protein and lettuce components of a sandwich I made yesterday. The brand of this roast beef is "Taste of Inspirations" available at Food Lion. The first time I tasted it, they were giving free samples at my local Food Lion, and I was with my husband. We both liked it a lot. It was cooked rare and tasted very fresh and good. I bought some and we both enjoyed it, in spite of it being very expensive for SV beef round. 

This time the order came with some roast beef that was still a little pink, but mostly grey and not fresh-tasting at all. I did force myself to eat a little yesterday out of the sandwich I'd made, but just couldn't get this $8.99 a pound stuff down today. I picked it off the salad's perimeter after choking down a few bites. Garbage disposal ate it along with the eggshells, and I enjoyed my salad after that. I also ate a Greek yogurt flavored with peaches for dessert to make up for some of the protein and B12.

It is weird, because I used to be able to enjoy substandard meats. I still enjoy meats, but what comes to mind in the meat department is a charcoal grilled steak. I know that meat is a good source of protein and Vitamin B12, one of the best, but I am getting to the point that I can rarely choke it down unless it is perfect and very, very fresh.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to still get the nutrition meat provides without actually having to choke down meat you do not like? There is also an issue with me that cooking meat in an oven splatters fat and meat junk everywhere, causing a huge cleaning issue as opposed to cooking veggies. Same thing with sauteeing on the the stove top. I just about hate cooking meat except for charcoal outside. You can boil it and not make a huge mess, but then it is boiled meat. Meh.

I use eggs, cheeses, including cottage cheese, which I like, yogurt, beans, and some nuts to make up for the lack of nutrients I miss by my unwillingness to deal with cooking meat. I also like seafood, which often doesn't suffer the degradation that meat does by boiling or gently sauteeing it.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get protein and B12 without dealing with meat every day? I appreciate any input.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

14 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I use eggs, cheeses, including cottage cheese, which I like, yogurt, beans, and some nuts to make up for the lack of nutrients I miss by my unwillingness to deal with cooking meat. I also like seafood, which often doesn't suffer the degradation that meat does by boiling or gently sauteeing it.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get protein and B12 without dealing with meat every day? I appreciate any input.

It sounds to me as though you're doing what you need to do already. This article about Vitamin B-12 sources and needs indicates that cheese, yogurt, milk and eggs all are sources. They also mention fortified cereals, nutritional yeast and fortified plant-based milk. (I assume that means soy milk, but I could be wrong.) I've never tried nutritional yeast, but the article makes it sound as though it would provide the umami kick that meat does, as well as providing the extra missing nutrients. According to this article, you only need about 2.4 micrograms of B-12 per day. Here's an excerpt from the article about quantities:

A vegetarian should be sure to consume enough of the following foods on a regular basis. It is vital to understand how much vitamin B-12 these foods contain:

• 8 ounces (oz) of yogurt contains about 1.1 mcg of vitamin B-12
  • 1 cup of low-fat milk can provide 1.2 mcg of vitamin B-12
  • 1 oz of Swiss cheese can contain 0.95 mcg of vitamin B-12
  • 1 large egg contains 0.6 mcg of vitamin B-12

Fortified cereals are a good choice as they have high bioavailability. This means that the vitamin B-12 does not have to break down before the body absorbs it.

I'll also point out that @sartoric provides a regular treat of Indian food, and searching out her posts can show delicious ways to get yourself a balanced meal without meat. She isn't the only vegetarian here, of course, but she's been inspiring me lately. @shain also produces regularly delicious-looking meals.

Incidentally, the same discussion above applies to protein. You already mentioned beans and nuts, so I don't think I need belabor the point.

A final point: you might wish to check out this topic for more ideas: Vegetarian Recipes and Meals.

Edited by Smithy
Added nod to shain! (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Pork with dried shiitake, chilli, garlic, ginger, red chilli, scallions, Shaoxing wine, soy sauce potato starch. 冬菇肉片 dōng gū ròu piàn

Shanghai Boy Choy with Oyster Sauce. 蚝油上海白菜 háo yóu shàng hǎi bái cài

alloh.thumb.jpg.4a68191c8de6df385e6f3324a54abab9.jpg

allcu.thumb.jpg.36e4d02f3cb66ecd1ef45d97aca6277b.jpg

pork.thumb.jpg.7bc27cca15c19630f09fd1d7f4ed0638.jpg

shanghai.thumb.jpg.454038b23900597a3d1ba9fe6079e9e9.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
Chinese typo (log)
  • Like 14

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

19 minutes ago, kayb said:

@gfweb -- may I have details on that hot sprout slaw? Contemplating a different way to fix sprouts for T'giving, as it is the one green thing all the grands will eat.

Shred sprouts on a mandoline, being careful not to include the tough stem part.  Fine diced onions ...a tbsp or two.

Put a mixture of smoky bacon fat and peanut oil in a saute pan...enough to coat the bottom more than just a film.

Saute onions till clear then add the sprouts and a little water, cover and cook a few minutes turning over a time or two.

Salt to taste

Add chopped crazins (dried cranberries)...enough so you'll have one or two in every forkful..Cook a minute or two longer and serve.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Orzotto (barley risotto) with spinach herbs (parsley, tarragon scallions). Butter, a touch of cream and a hint of nutmeg. WIth pan fried mushrooms and borlotti beans.

IMG_20181005_224950.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

9 hours ago, Smithy said:
14 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

It sounds to me as though you're doing what you need to do already. This article about Vitamin B-12 sources and needs indicates that cheese, yogurt, milk and eggs all are sources. They also mention fortified cereals, nutritional yeast and fortified plant-based milk. (I assume that means soy milk, but I could be wrong.) I've never tried nutritional yeast, but the article makes it sound as though it would provide the umami kick that meat does, as well as providing the extra missing nutrients. According to this article, you only need about 2.4 micrograms of B-12 per day. Here's an excerpt from the article about quantities:

I use nutritional yeast quite often, like one would use MSG. Getting enough protein is challenging for a vegetarian, being willing to cook obviously helps by making sure you have high quality food with sufficient protein of various sources. Cottage cheese in Israel is different than the one I sampled in the US, it is richer and the grains larger and more tender. It's my go to snack when I feel my daily diet might be lacking in protein. 

You can also consider making use of cured meats as a flavoring and nutritional enrichment to otherwise mostly vegetarian dishes, the Italians are masters of this.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 3

~ Shai N.

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Shred sprouts on a mandoline, being careful not to include the tough stem part.  Fine diced onions ...a tbsp or two.

Put a mixture of smoky bacon fat and peanut oil in a saute pan...enough to coat the bottom more than just a film.

Saute onions till clear then add the sprouts and a little water, cover and cook a few minutes turning over a time or two.

Salt to taste

Add chopped crazins (dried cranberries)...enough so you'll have one or two in every forkful..Cook a minute or two longer and serve.

Thanks!

@Thanks for the Crepes, I'm currently under a doctor's orders to eat 80 grams of protein a day. I'm not a vegetarian, but not a huge meat eater either. I couldn't do it without protein powder shakes. They're decent with just cold water, the powder mixes well in coffee, and they're great sprinkled on oatmeal or stirred into a fruit smoothie. Apparently one can use them to add into muffins, etc., as well. Haven't tried that yet.

I eat a lot of eggs, and peanut butter, too.

Tonight's dinner: Pimiento cheese sandwich with bacon and tomato, and a bowl of chili.20181021_172407.thumb.jpg.475ae79fdaf62030dbd47ebbe8ee76b5.jpg

20181021_172413.thumb.jpg.e33702c83b8912234b61fa9d5ed32c60.jpg

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 10/21/2018 at 5:36 PM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@Thanks for the Crepeshe who must be fed and I went flexitarian about 18 months ago...we don’t eat four legged animals, but still enjoy the occasional chicken or seafood something. We do have a predominately Indian diet, so lentils feature in nearly every meal. Mushrooms are good for B vitamins ( the vegos meat), spinach is a favourite, as are eggs and paneer is another source. Having said that, we both came up slightly B12 deficient after recent blood tests. A course of 3 x B12 shots soon fixed that. 

Here’s dinner tonight...yummy, although slightly out of focus. Ghee rice, cucumber and dill raita, potato masala, stir fried okra, toor dal and spinach flatbread with a mango pickle.

7ABFA504-2FD4-4946-B9A5-67FDF3767330.thumb.jpeg.7cbcd8262bda4c36b73060dd07b2d359.jpeg

• Like 9

This was supposed to have been duck...

Dinner10222018.png

CSO chicken, blood orange sauce.  Sauce recipe from Girl & The Fig Cookbook.  Half recipe.  I'd heard dark rumors of blood diamonds out of Africa.  My first time dealing in blood oranges.  Blood oranges:  7-8 oranges @$3.99...you do the math.  Sauce said to last 10 days, hardly made it through the night.

Served with wild rice and barely blanched Brussel's sprouts.  Methode rotuts ad libitum.  Blood orange sauce went particularly well with sprouts.

Edit:  I forgot to mention pomegranate.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 15

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Shmear of hummus, acorn squash (it was cooked in IP for five minutes, natural release and too soft for perfect mellon baller cut outs), peppitas, pine nuts, burrata.  Very tasty exercise in beige.  The rest of the dinner was mundane chicken and broccoli.

FB7DF41A-1842-42AD-888B-A020FE0D87C3.thumb.jpeg.64b902ad1e39cb1af5a753cd146ee6e2.jpeg

• Like 9