• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

I stayed at a traditional guest house on Yonaguni island where home-style meals are included in the price. Seaweed of some kind is served with almost every meal, no matter how small the amount. Japan already holds the record for longevity but the highest concentration of centenarians is found in the Ryukyu archipelago. (Look up the well documented Blue Zone study)

Impossible to photograph this seaweed soup.

sDuMhN0.jpg

P7mQMBi.jpg

Mahi and marlin are some of the most common fish around here (but marlin is king).

fziknBH.jpg

Only tasted the sauce and I stopped there. Sauce had Japanese mayo and hard-boiled egg. I would have made it with miso (butter).

tLW8Evn.jpg

Squid and celery tasted buttery to me.

2Srn1GV.jpg

Went to a restaurant a few doors down the road for beer and more sashimi.

TjOxGR2.jpg

8YNUWRA.jpg

Locally made booze is 60%. The men drink both beer and booze at the same time.

bYbJHFR.jpg

• Like 7

After an appointment for a procedure I don't recommend unless really necessary, I happened to find myself on the upper east side, and after a quick lunch of a few slices at PQR (really good again), I moseyed on over to Schaller & Weber. Once there, I spied a good looking pork loin roast, the size of which would've been enough to feed a nice family gathering, but since I was only feeding Significant Eater and myself, I asked for a cut off the small end, containing 3 chops, which the butcher was kind enough to do.

I decided to slow roast the loin, and after well-salting/seasoning and allowing the roast to sit in the fridge like that for a good 6 hours or so, it went into a 275℉ oven, for about 2 hours. Here's where timing is interesting; at an hour and 10 minutes, it was registering under 115℉ on an instant read - after that, the temperature shoots up much more quickly per minute than during that first hour...

44468641765_804f42723c_z.jpg

In any event, it was moist and juicy, and this little 3 chop roast still could've fed a small family. The cap was insanely delicious.  And following my standard procedure of plating as if I were in 1st grade home ec...

31507479218_316cb1437f_z.jpg

That's some of the cap and a little bit of a chop. The potatoes (a mix of Yukons and Red Bliss), seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, pimenton and saffron threads, were roasted alongside the pork - they were damn good too. The broccoli, pan seared and steamed in its own juices. To drink, a 2015 Tenuta de Fessina Erse Etna Rosso - went nicely with the pork.

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Fed a crew at church last night. Brunswick stew, beer cheese muffins, corn muffins, sandwiches. Running late when I got it out, so no photos of whole spread, but the sandwiches were homemade pimiento cheese and ham/turkey and cheese on King Arthur multigrain bread.

463311655_Brunswickstew.jpg.837d0cda199a524c7d0405e9c32aea86.jpg

253219539_baconcheddarmuffins.jpg.33dfef5cba80b7b12fc2265fc7bd39ba.jpg

2034441438_cheesycornmuffins.jpg.4f1f1b9233294aaf17a4f71afbb3971f.jpg

• Like 22

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Had a rather heavy lunch, so a light dinner tonight.

Stir fried fresh ramen noodles with duck and leeks. Duck marinated with Shaoxing wine, garlic, ginger and chilli. A splash of soy sauce near the end.

noodlesoh.thumb.jpg.28650f77cc76b98c896cea7c50b61d7a.jpg

noodlescu.thumb.jpg.fb441099b29da73d7c2ed702e7b452ab.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 22

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Leftover turkey and long grain & wild rice soup.  Found the recipe on the Uncle Ben’s website.  If I’d made the soup following the recipe exactly, it would have been some sad soup.  But I had my good turkey stock and I added some seasonings and herbs.  Turned out to be very good.

DSCN8705.JPG.b5f36eabfa44ede22fe9a21ed5231c15.JPG

• Like 18

That soup looks absolutely delicious!  I like the large chunks of turkey meat. I think wild rice is a very nice ingredient.  I usually soak it for a few hours before cooking....results in a more evenly cooked product.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Thanks 1

I've made and posted this before, but no apologies. It is different every time.

Pork marinated with olive oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic, crushed coriander seeds, chilli and salt. Stir fried until cooked through, then scallions added. Served with a tomato, onion and basil salad with a lemon vinaigrette and rice. Sadly, probably the last basil of the year, unless I can nurture some cuttings I have made and re-rooted today. Depends on the weather.

porkoh.thumb.jpg.3370a795b25ac4c543c18e647f8c939e.jpg

1523542496_tomatosalad.thumb.jpg.5937aa0d67cdfed8445e9e76e062a4a9.jpg

porkcu.thumb.jpg.679399ad87129b0d48718e0be5b5a741.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This was a couple nights ago. I saw it on facebook and thought it looked good.  It said to use two chicken breasts. I never know if they really mean from two chickens or two half breasts.  I used two halves.  More chicken would have been better.

20181016_172600.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12

12 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Just did a roasted broccoli with tahini that worked really well.  Cut into small bite size pieces.  Served as a side with pan seared steelhead trout

Just tahini or did you mix it with something?

NY-style 15in pepperoni pizzaaa!   70% hydration dough, 2% salt, AP flour+caputo chef's half-n-half. (Plus drop of oil, sprinkle of sugar to get browning in a sub 5 min bake)

625F bake temp

Costco brand part-skim low-moisture mozz... soo melty pully pully..mmmm 😊

Hormel's Turkey Pepperoni, to reduce the cals--not a spring chicken no more..

Sauce is just using Walmart's Great Value italian-style (cheep, but good)... Local Costco stopped carrying the 3-pack Cento San Marzano

pizza-whole.thumb.jpeg.7586e5cf66aaa76927305e99cba5af10.jpeg

a virtual slice for you:

pizza-cross.thumb.jpeg.db30ffd8a7b37f77f182f86985524cad.jpeg

Got great leoparding on the bottom as well, but this is not a pizza forum, so, no, i say. 😊

Edited by iggiggiggy
yikes, the size it's 15 (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1

37 minutes ago, iggiggiggy said:

NY-style 15in pepperoni pizzaaa!   70% hydration dough, 2% salt, AP flour+caputo chef's half-n-half. (Plus drop of oil, sprinkle of sugar to get browning in a sub 5 min bake)

625F bake temp

Costco brand part-skim low-moisture mozz... soo melty pully pully..mmmm 😊

Hormel's Turkey Pepperoni, to reduce the cals--not a spring chicken no more..

Sauce is just using Walmart's Great Value italian-style (cheep, but good)... Local Costco stopped carrying the 3-pack Cento San Marzano

pizza-whole.thumb.jpeg.7586e5cf66aaa76927305e99cba5af10.jpeg

a virtual slice for you:

pizza-cross.thumb.jpeg.db30ffd8a7b37f77f182f86985524cad.jpeg

Got great leoparding on the bottom as well, but this is not a pizza forum, so, no, i say. 😊

I have to ask, what are the baking details?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou