• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Pork braised with black fermented single-headed-garlic, leeks, mushrooms  and chilli. With new potatoes. I added some braising juices and buttered the potatoes after taking the pictures.

dinneroh.thumb.jpg.8aab8f590774c62e6fc797104fb5521f.jpg

dinnercu.thumb.jpg.685d9a757142f4cccbce8ec5eba3fb07.jpg

Here for your viewing pleasure is the garlic - 黑独蒜 (hēi dú suàn)

2115260599_blackdusuan.thumb.jpg.02089c23c470e05293731e2ac38de4d0.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Those shrimp do look spectacular.  Shrimp done right!  Would you mind sharing the sauce recipe?

I like a cocktail sauce that has some heat to it, but from the horseradish, rather than added hot sauce, so finding the horseradish with the needed heat is the trick. In my area, I have come to rely on Kelchner's, paying close attention to the use by date. I start with about 4 heaping TBS of that, followed by the juice of half a lemon, a dash of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire and about half a cup of Heinz Chili Sauce, if I have it, and ketchup, if I don't.

HC

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I love your wooden bowls!  They look old - have you had them a long time?

Many years ago,  I  loved skiing and bought a camp trailer that I kept up in Vermont for  that purpose. I would go up there after work on Sunday nights in the winter and ski all day on Monday, my only day off. On days when the weather was bad or it was too icy to ski I would drive around to places of local interest and one of them was the Grandville Bowl Mill. I loved their wooden bowls, but was not able to do more than just admire them. Some years later, in a bit better shape financially, I made a trip up there and happened to hear about the "cull shed, out back". It was something the locals all knew about, but they did not readily explain about it to the tourists. I was out there in a heartbeat and opened the garage style door. Inside was another whole shop of seconds, some with almost imperceptible flaws, at deep discounts. I left there with several wooden bowls and made a few trips back in the years to come.

I am sure that is too much information, but there it is. I break them out and proudly use them at any excuse.

HC

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Puff The Magic Calvatia Gigantea

I was doing some work in the garden, found this giant puffball. It seemed to have magically appeared. It wasn't there a day ago.

Made SV beef tenderloin on sauteed giant puffball steaks.

dcarch

giant puffball.JPG

Beef tenderloin puffball 2.jpg

Beef tenderloin puffball.JPG

• Like 14

Friend found one in her garden, asked if we wanted it. Yes! She asked why they were good. My reply, "they are perfect sponges for browned butter." Dinner was not cheeseburgers, but burgers w. crisped brown butter puff ball slices instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

It is a salmon cake.  The recipe is from Andrea Nguyen's Banh Mi Handbook.  I can't seem to find the recipe online.

Sure you saw this one but thought I'd link as I trust the site and it looks alot like yours  http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2007/08/salmon-cakes-wi.html

8 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I like a cocktail sauce that has some heat to it, but from the horseradish, rather than added hot sauce, so finding the horseradish with the needed heat is the trick. In my area, I have come to rely on Kelchner's, paying close attention to the use by date. I start with about 4 heaping TBS of that, followed by the juice of half a lemon, a dash of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire and about half a cup of Heinz Chili Sauce, if I have it, and ketchup, if I don't.

HC

Many years ago,  I  loved skiing and bought a camp trailer that I kept up in Vermont for  that purpose. I would go up there after work on Sunday nights in the winter and ski all day on Monday, my only day off. On days when the weather was bad or it was too icy to ski I would drive around to places of local interest and one of them was the Grandville Bowl Mill. I loved their wooden bowls, but was not able to do more than just admire them. Some years later, in a bit better shape financially, I made a trip up there and happened to hear about the "cull shed, out back". It was something the locals all knew about, but they did not readily explain about it to the tourists. I was out there in a heartbeat and opened the garage style door. Inside was another whole shop of seconds, some with almost imperceptible flaws, at deep discounts. I left there with several wooden bowls and made a few trips back in the years to come.

I am sure that is too much information, but there it is. I break them out and proudly use them at any excuse.

HC

Jeez. Louise!!!  Just went and looked at the website.  Out of my league for sure!  Gorgeous, though.

• Like 1

@chefmd  You meant hominy right?  I often think how similar the product appears to garbanzos though of course quite different in taste. .  I have only had the canned variety - some day  https://www.ranchogordo.com/products/white-corn-posole-prepared-hominys  

Edited by heidih (log)

Local oysters of decent size were 75 cent each this week. Char-grilled oysters quickly went on the menu tonight. Leftover potato salad, roasted beet salad, with crumbled blue cheese and hot bread for dippage came along for the ride.

HC

IMG_2395.thumb.JPG.5e00e6ea4d8e82b1e47459b929552aa6.JPGIMG_2396.thumb.JPG.59f9f7d3d6890ac6537e0f98fc7c7c98.JPGIMG_2397.thumb.JPG.79643a9b5c1259c4fa5be2ed171116a6.JPGIMG_2399.thumb.JPG.f38b6f0b7e071db34953151473de822c.JPG

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

We ate at an Italian restaurant a couple weeks ago and I thought both our dinners were good so i tried to duplicate them tonight. I think I found a very similar recipe for Shrimp Scampi but only came close to the Mussels in Wine sauce.  I need to work on that one. 

20181014_172250.jpg

• Like 14

Met my cousin and his wife for a beer earlier.  The place I had wanted to go to dinner was closed so we picked up a fillet of grouper and had dinner at home.   Improvised with what we had on hand and came up with grouper piccata and salad.  I think we came out ahead

image.jpeg

• Like 20

Barbecue spareribs a la Kenji.  OK, sous vide barbecue spareribs a la Kenji.  Rancho Gordo pinquitos, recipe from Nopalito:  A Mexican Kitchen.  Both excellent.

Dinner10152018.png

Finest meal I have had since, oh Chicken with Fennel, Preserved Lemon, and Olives two nights ago.  Really excellent, both beans and ribs.  Served with coleslaw and some of the last of my Ramapo tomatoes, not shown.

Coleslaw10152018.png

• Like 15

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Phew! It is really heating up down here! We have had some insane supercell storms to announce the start of the hot hot. 

So. Of course. My hemispherically confused body is craving brown stew. 

Turnip, Swede, Leek, Carrot with Beef Cheeks & Neck.

Cooked low, slow & sweatily. 

20181015_201011.thumb.jpg.34e0bce2a0f6fb354da6b982cb5f4fae.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 13

10 hours ago, heidih said:

@chefmd  You meant hominy right?  I often think how similar the product appears to garbanzos though of course quite different in taste. .  I have only had the canned variety - some day  https://www.ranchogordo.com/products/white-corn-posole-prepared-hominys  

Posole, homini, it was all delicious :).  Cooking dried beans, legumes, homini is so easy with Instant Pot.  

• Like 1

Tonight, 宫保鸡丁 (gōng bǎo jī dīng), 小白菜 (xiǎo bái cài), 米饭 mǐ fàn. Or as you may know it, Kung Po Chicken (a term not used in 99% of China),  Baby Bok Choy (ditto) and rice.

dinner.thumb.jpg.c5f0a8f573f5be22889f9392cef33633.jpg

dinnercu.thumb.jpg.63a2af8b66af0ea4e34f38ccd15179ac.jpg

gongbaojiding.thumb.jpg.c356a1ac5c692777fa0b65029a13393b.jpg

xiaobaicai.thumb.jpg.ba1dc4f8f12c1f8bc8f24045ce540fab.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

34 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@liuzhou Looks great, as usual.  That baby bok choi doesn't look like how I'm used to seeing it - the stems seem too narrow.  It looks sort of like a baby yu choi.  I'd love to know more about this.

The nomenclature for Chinese greens is a minefield, and varies from place to place.

Can you point me to an image of what you know as baby bok choy?

Yu choi is Cantonese. The Mandarin is 油菜 yóu cài (literally 'oil vegetable') and is rape, the origin of rapeseed oil or Canola.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1