• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

38 minutes ago, mm84321 said:

Yes. In Frankfurt. Heading to Heidelberg and then Berlin next week. Recommendations kindly welcomed. :)

I guessed so from the sausages on offer ...

I’ll pm you with some ideas for Heidelberg, my old hometown 😊

14 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

The store had some meaty looking ham hocks so that decided dinner. They didn't have any collards or spinach, just kale and turnip greens, so I decided to do bok choy separately and add them with the beans and hocks at the end.

LOL Turnip greens would have been my first choice, they're the reason I grow turnips.

There's a butcher shop/cured meats place in Halifax that sells through most of the region, but for some reason the only place I can consistently find their smoked hocks (without driving into Halifax, at least) is one particular supermarket near where my daughter lives in the Annapolis Valley. I usually stock up at least once or twice a year while I'm there, because I love their hocks for bean dishes or for choucroute garnie. I'm down to one left in my freezer, so it's about that time again. :)

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Dinner in Okinawan capital Naha.

B6dlWPy.jpg

Temaki was unrolled for a photo. Ate the "caviar" seaweed every day in Naha.

IF7zXrF.jpg

The difference between lean and fatty tuna.

ffUjuOz.jpg

zOuvJ8B.jpg

I devote my sashimi-eating life to Japan.

OxNPrMQ.jpg

My ship has come in.

ro7aOAM.jpg

MzqF8SF.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I took pictures of my dinners last week but did not have time to post them until now.  Spicy salmon sandwiches with pickled green tomatoes from my garden:

531391070_spicysalmon.thumb.jpg.3f4aa5e9919776305428787921941163.jpg

Pasta fresca with some of the very last ripe tomatoes from the garden

177241681_pastafresca.thumb.jpg.30feca7ba9fef7f3b3cb6d7af0a68bca.jpg

Roasted salmon tacos

1497591996_salmontacos.thumb.jpg.6f5380e4383f083f220a5986adb030ae.jpg

Fish and chips

2145938218_fishandchips.thumb.jpg.03a2c4300bfb2cd2cd9baecb07512fcd.jpg

• Like 20
  • Delicious 1

It has turned a bit cool after Michael hit us the last few days.

Not for tonight but for tomorrow or Monday....

have had a piece of beef in the fridge for 3 days to make sauerbraten.

I'm making it with vegetable potato pancakes, red cabbage and applesauce(after all it IS apple time here in NW NJ).

Thursday I tried a Taste of Home recipe for BBQ meatloaf muffins which worked OK but I will tweak it a bit.  Mashed potatoes and honey oiled carrots and peas.

I have a roasted chicken breast leftover but I think I will do breakfast for dinner … corned beef hash, hard scrambled eggs(don't judge - it's a texture thing for me) and some smashed tater tots.  My comfort food.  I do believe I will use that chicken breast to make some mu shu for dinner tomorrow.

soooooooo……. I am having a hard time NOT slurping down the sauce from the sauerbraten...

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Japan has ruined American Japanese food for me. Especially sashimi and sushi. 

Except for the guys out on an adventurous limb, doing their own ‘take’ on Japanese (eg Matsuhisa or Morimoto), it’s too disappointing. 

Edited by weedy (log)
  • Like 1

I couldn't eat sushi in the US for about three months after returning from Japan. It might not be as bad on the coasts where fresher fish is available, but in flyover country....

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 minutes ago, kayb said:

I couldn't eat sushi in the US for about three months after returning from Japan. It might not be as bad on the coasts where fresher fish is available, but in flyover country....

But most of the fish is frozen - even the best tuna.So maybe it is an execution/knowledge & skill issue. 

I remember eating tuna sashimi at a little stand in Tsukiji fish market at 6 a.m. I believe that tuna had been swimming three or four hours earlier. It was otherworldly.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 minutes ago, kayb said:

I remember eating tuna sashimi at a little stand in Tsukiji fish market at 6 a.m. I believe that tuna had been swimming three or four hours earlier. It was otherworldly.

I am not trying to be argumentative in any way. All the images I have seen of the tuna at that iconic market are stiff as a board frozen  http://japan.stripes.com/news/japans-terrific-tuna-tasty-treat  Tuna are not close to shore so it makes sense to do the minus 70 quick freeze. We had a tuna fleet years ago off our coast - they would be gone for days if not weeks. Also further fish aging  https://tasteoftravelroge.wordpress.com/2012/11/07/fish-to-age-or-not-to-age/   I grew up with their kids - dads away for long periods  https://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/fisheries/migratory_species/san_pedro_ti_tuna_industry_historical_overview.html

• Like 3

Can't remember who has posted Korean BBQ chicken a few times. Might have been HungryChris?
I finally got around to cooking a whole chicken with Gochujang .
The chicken was marinated with a mix of Gochujang, lime juice, brown sugar, and garlic.
Roasted at 450F for 60 minutes produced a lovely flavourful and moist chicken!

1094303358_KoreanChicken7101.jpg.bc620dc71a75e84f31f38f8ee8779314.jpg

1480999909_KoreanChicneVeg7103.jpg.109702a1d52e0ea791835729f70a360a.jpg

Night before, I cooked up some char siu in the oven. Eaten with pan-fried tofu and bok choy 

904716320_CharSiuTofu.jpg.09312084dec98d200c4c92498dabcffa.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Caesar salad and shrimp cocktail always wins Deb's approval, and got mine as well, last night. Cocktail sauce made from decently hot horseradish, U-15 gulf shrimp, steamed for 4 minutes and plunged into ice water produced some shrimp that squeaked when you bit into them. That is when I know I have done it right!

HC

IMG_2346.thumb.JPG.2f69c9e7b35d1e4e07d907ba7ea1fe06.JPGIMG_2339.thumb.JPG.dfb1f845374945e23e2f0444d1d5fd74.JPGIMG_2341.thumb.JPG.c191369a34f2138939a99ee32c3016c2.JPG

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Large turkey thigh (brined then air dried in the fridge for a day with some compound butter slipped under the skin)steam baked at 350F for 35 to 40 minutes in the CSO. Took the skin off and broiled it until crispy.  To go with some steamed broccoli/mushrooms, two potato mash (sweet and yukon gold), fried sage leaves and gravy.  The meat was very moist and perfectly cooked.  The little oven needed a good wipe down after all the splatter.

DSC02800.thumb.jpg.0dc6b44bdcd16c19287ed32c21e9ff38.jpg

• Like 15

6 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Caesar salad and shrimp cocktail always wins Deb's approval, and got mine as well, last night. Cocktail sauce made from decently hot horseradish, U-15 gulf shrimp, steamed for 4 minutes and plunged into ice water produced some shrimp that squeaked when you bit into them. That is when I know I have done it right!

HC

IMG_2346.thumb.JPG.2f69c9e7b35d1e4e07d907ba7ea1fe06.JPGIMG_2339.thumb.JPG.dfb1f845374945e23e2f0444d1d5fd74.JPGIMG_2341.thumb.JPG.c191369a34f2138939a99ee32c3016c2.JPG

I love your wooden bowls!  They look old - have you had them a long time?