• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Sweet and sour (more sour) pork ribs with shiitake. No fluorescent orange gloop here.

Ribs in bite sized pieces (Thank you, Mrs butcher lady) stewed for 30-40 minutes with ginger until well done. Cooled and dried and ginger discarded, then fried with garlic and chilli. Added 2tbs sugar , 2tbs Shaoxing wine, 4tbs Zhenjiang vinegar and a splash of soy sauce. Served with stir fried bok choy and rice.

ribs.thumb.jpg.e6e57555d9e3f3566c7016519f5409f8.jpg

Damned good, if I  say so myself.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A very disappointing dinner last night.  Menu was fried oysters, ffs and slaw.  This part was fine:

DSCN8669.JPG.286369d7cc648fd952be5c9d48b6c801.JPG

Here is where it started to go wrong:

DSCN8673.JPG.7fb8640813b1c638f36de187957455b6.JPG

I had these in the freezer for a couple of months.  They looked great and I liked the coating very much, but the oysters were terrible.  I don’t think they had quite gone bad, but they weren’t far from it.  So, they went in the trash.  Side dishes were French fries and slaw:

DSCN8671.JPG.f7cb50a043803143a248f80c284934b3.JPG

These were fine out of the pan, but I put them in the CSO to keep warm and they came out flabby and tough.  gfweb suggests propping the door slightly open next time to prevent this. 

DSCN8670.JPG.c787c60fcd2447b27bfb50665fcc5849.JPG

The slaw was just blah.  I never use a recipe for slaw and it always turns out fine, but it just didn’t seem to have much flavor this time.  So, we filled up on flabby fries and dull slaw and at 11:30, this was my protein:

DSCN8674.JPG.1b64751765d73a1a89049ab218d358bf.JPG

One of those nights.

This, however, turned out very well:

DSCN8663.JPG.fecb5e0b65741d044ebaf9eddb2c79ad.JPG

Lovely roasted necks and veg for my gravy.  Popped into the slow cookers all night.  Will be making gravy today.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 8
  • Sad 4

Kim, that tray of necks is fantastic...but I don't see any pieces that have been nibbled on?  How can you resist.  At a Super Bowl Party awhile back I roasted some turkey necks (ones with a lot of meat on them) with a spice rub and served with some kinda creamy dip...they were unorthodox but tasty.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Kim, that tray of necks is fantastic...but I don't see any pieces that have been nibbled on?  How can you resist.  At a Super Bowl Party awhile back I roasted some turkey necks (ones with a lot of meat on them) with a spice rub and served with some kinda creamy dip...they were unorthodox but tasty.

I did do some nibbling as I was picking them later.  Such good meat.  Old country grandmas were known for taking the backs and necks of chickens.  Everyone thought they were sacrificing the "good" pieces to the family.  But I think they knew that the necks had the best meat and the backs had the "oysters"!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Gravy is done!  Nice, jellied stock:

DSCN8677.JPG.18e0709cd01ef59be9881693e66a8879.JPG

This is the color I like for my roux:

DSCN8680.JPG.922252c85cd6077a771cfb8e8179810d.JPG

A little white wine, then the stock.  At a good simmer (I add LOTS of stock, then simmer it until it is the consistency and flavor I want):

DSCN8681.JPG.c2ebd8692ec18c5f6252571fb5120bcb.JPG

The picked neck meat:

DSCN8682.JPG.c8084ca77b2cfe9bd3bae4914042d440.JPG

I use LOTS of this.  My mother says that my gravy is more like hash because I use so much meat.  I think she’s just jealous because the only gravy she’s ever made was Bisto! 😁 Finished:

DSCN8683.JPG.b194475adb90d1b875f79776ca5cca39.JPG

It is GOOD!  Now it cools and gets packed up for the freezer.  I’ll probably have to add a little broth when I reheat it. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

Yesterday I made a veggie lasagna with three cheeses (parm, cottage and mozz). It had Trader Joe's canned plum tomatoes, onion, garlic, mushrooms, grated carrot and frozen spinach. I cooked in the CSO in an old Pyrex 9x9" casserole dish I've had for years. It's the deepest pan I have that fits in the CSO and for me lasagna needs plenty of layers.

It is very good and provided me with six portions, four of which are now in the freezer after I ate another portion for dinner tonight.

I usually make spinach lasagna with bechamel and will do that from now on. Although the spinach was only thawed before assembly, the acid in the tomatoes turned it an unappealing color I don't like. It tastes great, but lesson learned.

Also I have to mention another victory for me. I washed, peeled and chopped veggies, prepared the sauce, cooked the pasta and assembled the lasagna in one go one my feet. I was tired afterwards and appreciated sitting down while it baked, but I did it! :)

• Like 11

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Yesterday I made a veggie lasagna with three cheeses (parm, cottage and mozz). It had Trader Joe's canned plum tomatoes, onion, garlic, mushrooms, grated carrot and frozen spinach. I cooked in the CSO in an old Pyrex 9x9" casserole dish I've had for years. It's the deepest pan I have that fits in the CSO and for me lasagna needs plenty of layers.

It is very good and provided me with six portions, four of which are now in the freezer after I ate another portion for dinner tonight.

I usually make spinach lasagna with bechamel and will do that from now on. Although the spinach was only thawed before assembly, the acid in the tomatoes turned it an unappealing color I don't like. It tastes great, but lesson learned.

Also I have to mention another victory for me. I washed, peeled and chopped veggies, prepared the sauce, cooked the pasta and assembled the lasagna in one go one my feet. I was tired afterwards and appreciated sitting down while it baked, but I did it! :)

This is a lovely 3 inch deep lasagna pan that fits the CSO:

http://amzn.com/B0728GC529

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Chicken soup with leftover salads and Cheddar Bay Biscuits. Because this soup was made from Korean BBQ chicken, the normal chicken soup format doesn't work, as the broth is too dark, this has to be a more robust soup, which I achieve with a bit of tomato base and stronger spices. 

HC

IMG_2262.thumb.JPG.d4dfe3b81733b2826b5dcb0a31ac48bb.JPGIMG_2260.thumb.JPG.d17a5a20005d18a2b810079b45be140f.JPG 

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 10

Filleted and skinned a tilapia . Fried until barely cooked. Set aside.

Fried some shallots and added clams and sweet apple wine/cider. When clams opened pulled them out and set aside.

Added skinned and chopped fresh tomatoes to clam cooking pan and reduced until almost sauce-like. Added the clams and fish and he heated  through until warm and the fish was fully cooked. Took mere seconds.

I had intended serving this with pasta, but remembered that I had eaten pasta for lunch with pesto. (Not that it's a crime to eat pasta twice in a day.) So, I boiled a spud which nicely soaked up the tomato/clam sauce when fork mashed on the plate.

dinneroh.thumb.jpg.8b61882417e4b121515c96f4dbbe79fb.jpg

I liked the way the apple wine worked with the tomatoes to bring out their flavour and balance the acidity. I'll do that again.

dinnercu.thumb.jpg.7dacb306bba941645795aaed50d152e6.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My son requested that I make empanadas again with a recipe that he found and sent me.  This time I picked up some egg roll wrappers to deal with the leftover filling.  I could have made extra empanada dough but I didn't want to.  Actually I like the egg rolls better anyway.

20181010_164658.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Dinner in progress is an Indian-style curry recipe from CI that I've made before and is one of my favorites.

Right now it's resting on the range top while I enjoy my cocktail hour.

Next I'll feed my dogs then cook the rice then re-heat the curry.  No hurry, it's a nice relaxing evening watching the news.

• Like 3

Brunswick stew. First getting-cool evening of the fall. I couldn't wait. Unremarkable appearance and no attempt at nice plating since I'm working late, but the taste is good.

@lindag, congrats on being able to relax and watch the news. Damned if I can do it.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I know you were expecting Chicken with Fennel, Preserved Lemon, and Olives -- however dinner tonight was pizza, three minute pizza.  I seem to be getting better with practice.

Pizza10112018.png

• Like 15
  • Delicious 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Picked up a whole tenderloin on sale at Superstore last Friday - a special ar $8.77 / lb with 15,000 points ($15.00 )
Trimmed it up and in food saver for Beef Wellington at Xmas...
Trimmings = Beef  Stroganoff over Shirataki fettuccine.

2144263306_BeefStroganoff7012.jpg.4cf3d90bb4757005e97c73dcd7db3939.jpg

Picked up a couple Steelhead Trout fillets with a 30% discount and packaged them up between layers of Lemongrass, stalks of green onions, cilantro, ginger, lime, and Tahi lime leaves - baked in the oven - my favourite way to cook this or salmon.

1343197134_SteelheadTrout7016.jpg.01cbe7a9924d19f34df7c7888d164f87.jpg

• Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Too hot today to do much of anything. Found a whole chicken in the freezer and thawed it out in a big pot of cool water. Made up a marinade of Dijon mustard, minced garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and tajin and brushed it all over the spatchcocked  bird halves and let them commiserate in the fridge for most of the day. Deb had a hair appointment after work, so I had plenty of time to pull it all together for a 7:30 dinner. Garlic butter shrooms and roasted asparagus rounded things out.

HCIMG_2297.thumb.JPG.fa06813b82137f777335c7a4ca88e4d0.JPGIMG_2300.thumb.JPG.794b44c1546abe8bf149062f71089414.JPGIMG_2298.thumb.JPG.75700de860fd8c624820065e3080a0e2.JPGIMG_2299.thumb.JPG.5c280cfe5a7418c39e5f7c4a192fb60b.JPG

• Like 13