• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

@shain

Nice on the Hummus

but 

C*R*A*P !

thats not the way I pronounce it

I might have to take

@Anna N thoughts and think about them

I do know this :  Chickpeas are one thing , and EggPlant  quite another

fortunately , neither is a GreenBell

so there is time for evaluation.  not so much w the EG's

still , they re not GB's

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Indian-thai fusion curry curry, with tomato base with ginger, thai red curry paste, cinnamon, garlic, cardamom, curry leaves, soft tofu, chickpeas, cashew and lime zest.

Tamarind rice with lentils and noodles.

Coleslaw with lentils, peas, fennel seeds, chili and black pepper. 

IMG_20180914_151806.thumb.jpg.ac8d485bc760154a05b4e91e11bb4b58.jpgIMG_20180914_151831.thumb.jpg.a597222bdcb2ad3a44ef105841f6202b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

I pronounce

Humus :

Who-Mus

the last is like  Must  w/o the T

since Im a World Traveler 

and a Bon Vivant 

the let only in my head , lubricated these days w a bit of M.R.

its been settled 

for me

Im very important around here

MC would kill me if his 1/4 can of Friskies Pate was forgotten.

just saying.

• Haha 2

@shain  Thank you for the pronounciation. I also was using short vowels. Why I never asked the adorable guys at the farmers market who sell lovely hummus I don't know. I do know that as someone who does not have English as my first language it is quite jarring to hear some "interpreations" of words in my first language...

• Like 1

270F06FC-8DAF-4DE3-98EF-FAAF6BD72E4D.thumb.jpeg.863121713a2b526f12d2879beda20fda.jpeg

Rice with furikake, spinach ohitashi (spinach blanched and then marinated), kamo rosu (duck breast seared and marinated) and pickled turnip. 

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

And what’s the panda having? 🤔

Teeny tiny bamboo shoots out of camera range. 

Edited by Anna N
Capitalization. (log)
  • Haha 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/29/2018 at 1:30 AM, HungryChris said:

Osso bucco, HC style, with plenty of garlic, rosemary and sage. I used to do this in a combination of fry pan and a covered pot in the oven all afternoon. This one went from the fry pan to the IPot for an hour and stayed on keep warm for two hours. Much less energy and way les stress. Local silver queen corn and tomatoes joined in the fun. This was a winner! Unfortunately, these are farm stand tomatoes, as mine are pretty much done for the season. Oh, and the first reveal of the new tablecloth we picked up in Ita

@HungryChrisSaw beef shanks like yours the other day at the store. Nearly bought them but thought they were too thin a cut. Might have to go back and check 'em out again as I REALLY want osso bucco now...in the IP. Thanks for the nudge!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Really wanted Bitter Melon for supper but none to be had. They did have kerala but wouldn't be the same.

So we had Black Bean Garlic Beef with Bell Peppers and Zeroodle Shirataki Rice = Fried rice with egg and green onions.

602155363_BlkBeangarlicBeefPeppers6922.jpg.ed4c2211fa0db2b58f105282afdd228b.jpg

1469334080_ZeroodlesFriedRice6924.jpg.05bff6c421213b2b46a1933f22128207.jpg

• Like 8

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

5 hours ago, Dejah said:

That slice of straw mushroom in the middle of the plate looks a bit startled!

I guess you mean this one.

scream.jpg.ccd08354f145038ee427f19cfe768f24.jpg

Yeah, I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. It reminds me a bit of Munch's The Scream, but a couple of seconds earlier.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

P.E.I. farm raised mussels in garlic and herbed wine sauce with hot bread for dippage. I bought 2, 2 lb. bags but only cooked 1 bag and it was the perfect amount for us. Now I have to figure out what to do with the second bag.

HC

IMG_2142.thumb.JPG.33ea37c03cc2f96a4828d8b2bbd9009a.JPGIMG_2141.thumb.JPG.26f56ae0d53c2ec4b0f6f8dd5b986e04.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

18 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I know I've told this story here before, however I believe it's been a while...

When I was little I once demanded pie for breakfast.  After a firm "no" my mother elaborated:  "Actually I am from New England, and in New England people do eat pie for breakfast -- but this is not New England."

Pie for breakfast was something I let my kids have on a pretty regular basis when they were growing up. I reckoned a homemade pie with fruit filling was almost certain to be healthier than what their friends in the surrounding houses were having for breakfast (ie, mostly bowls of Sugar Frosted Sugar "cereals").

• Like 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

@Shelby Where do you get the frogs legs?  Do you or Ronnie catch the frogs, then skin and butcher, or do you buy them?  If you buy them, where do you get them?

We used to go bullfrog hunting a lot.  That involved late nights, very muddy clothes and a lot of beer drinking lol.   Now, that I'm older and wiser I order them from Cajun Grocer

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It's so hot here in Taiwan.

kez7LDG.jpg

I made sure I could eat my 2 favourite Taiwanese dishes as soon as possible. Fortunately this restaurant is within walking distance from my lodging. This zombie couldn't walk far today without collapsing from exhaustion and jet lag.

UyVeJ0h.jpg

f0jUvtX.jpg

j2f5Nu6.jpg

Boiled goose and clams with basil.

JDlOfeI.jpg

5ba9NE5.jpg

Crunchy slender greens called something like "whitewater snowflake" according to the translation.

2WJKTey.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

D28FC7F6-510B-4AB1-B0A0-0EC0523B5E34.thumb.jpeg.17906c3083ed52a361abe267f6fe2778.jpeg

Romaine with miso dressing and beef tataki. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

This Jerk Pork Tenderloin Kebabs is from the  Korean BBQ book, but he thinks of his food as  Korean American and Puerto Rican.  He was born in Korea but grew up in America and his wife is from Puerto Rico. This recipe was inspired one winter when he and his wife vacationed in Jamaica, so it is pretty much a mixture of a lot of different traditions.  

20181001_180801.jpg

20181001_181143.jpg

• Like 10