• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

19C38193-E775-460E-BA8A-0B372804548C.thumb.jpeg.a6ef0ef0d7e079cfb727fb8066ed9395.jpeg

Sesame Chicken salad. Hot sesame oil is drizzled over poached chicken. Inspired by         @liuzhouI used raw baby bok choy as the green.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Osso bucco, HC style, with plenty of garlic, rosemary and sage. I used to do this in a combination of fry pan and a covered pot in the oven all afternoon. This one went from the fry pan to the IPot for an hour and stayed on keep warm for two hours. Much less energy and way les stress. Local silver queen corn and tomatoes joined in the fun. This was a winner! Unfortunately, these are farm stand tomatoes, as mine are pretty much done for the season. Oh, and the first reveal of the new tablecloth we picked up in Italy.

HC

IMG_2113.thumb.JPG.20d9ffe42b7c2d7c226ac0f6e0e750bb.JPGIMG_2111.thumb.JPG.3e55da32fabb7278b2feb60aa18bdcad.JPG

IMG_2112.thumb.JPG.2fe7372c4f6ee73288dba0ec2e21bf9d.JPG

IMG_2110.thumb.JPG.f55e77867d4a37801b920f3394104bfd.JPG

IMG_2108.thumb.JPG.522c2aeb885dc74bff4698ed10b34b11.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

13 hours ago, Raamo said:

Risotto - this time it's pork stalk and celery + the normal things. (Rice, Corn, Onions, Cheese, Butter)

Verdict: Celery is now required - the crunch is nice.

When the elusive pork and celery cross paths and mate once a year under the harvest moon and produce their spawn.....

Pork Stalk!!!

(sorry, couldn't help myself!) :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Tonight I made pork with what I call aubergine but I've been told many of you here call "eggplants". Don't you know that eggs aren't plants?

The same reliable source also told me that the chick peas that I used are called Garfunkel or Carbuncle beans or something similar by those same strange people.

There was also garlic, chilli,  various spices and those green things many of you don't realise are herbs and not 'erbs, green onions which are actually spring onions,  and lemon juice. I hate to think what you might call lemon juice! Or pork for that matter.

Served with 米饭.

aubergine1.thumb.jpg.73e3ac4dc1bd3e1576a2ba2334209147.jpg

aubergine2.thumb.jpg.db691b454f4a77ba0400cad5621ca0e0.jpg

:D:D

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

30 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Tonight I made pork with what I call aubergine but I've been told many of you here call "eggplants". 

Doesn’t matter to me whether you call them eggplants or aubergines, chickpeas or garbanzo beans they do not belong in the food chain. They belong in the compost heap. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Doesn’t matter to me whether you call them eggplants or aubergines, chickpeas or garbanzo beans they do not belong in the food chain. They belong in the compost heap. :ph34r:

How sad!

Little known fact: When Chinese people take photographs, instead of saying the equivalent of "Say cheese!" to get their subjects to smile they say "Say aubergine!" In Chinese, of course. In Chinese, the (usually) purple delights are called  茄子 qié zi, which when pronounced correctly produces the same  cheesy (or eggplant-y or aubergine-y) grin.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

How sad!

Surely not when one could have corn instead. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

what about humus ?

we probably know where Baba Ganoush should go

If you can’t figure out how to pronounce it then you shouldn’t be eating it. So I don’t.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Charlie loves empanadas and found a recipe that he said looked good and asked me if I'd try it.  I was planning to make another recipe from the Korean BBQ cook book and I generally dislike making little stuffed pastries because of memories of making mandu by the thousands when we had the restaurant.  The empanadas were not all that small and there was only ten so I figured it would not be all that bad.  I made dough for ten but there was filling left over so I made 4 more using soft taco shells.  I bet they would have been good in egg roll wrappers too.

20180929_175418.jpg

20180929_175819.jpg

• Like 19

Tomorrow, October 1st, is the 69th anniversary of Mao declaring the People's Republic of China from the gate of the Forbidden City in Tian'anmen Square, Beijing. This is celebrated each year with a week long holiday*, giving the government a chance to pretend they are communists and the people to go shopping.

mao.thumb.jpg.b1d19493563b6d0a6d5582260a88af3f.jpg

Liuzhou traditionally celebrates this with yet another:

mmexport1538191707864.thumb.JPG.3e3d7983099166bccf5cf119ef6b4d0c.JPG

This is basically an excuse for a bunch of foreign, thick, rich kids to show off their powerboats and act like utter morons. We have competitors deported and charged with sexual assaults on local girls in past years.

So, today I was busy helping with translation duties for more boring speeches and came home almost too exhausted to cook or eat.  I managed to prepare a very quick dinner of fresh ramen noodles fried with chicken and some very fresh straw mushrooms I managed to pick up at noon.  Garlic, ginger and chillies and some soy sauce.

noodles1.thumb.jpg.b182976dd269c0a99cbacddfc4df35dc.jpg

noodles.thumb.jpg.aed6e92a02b16e77519a31c897cdba3d.jpg

Tomorrow I have a 6 am start so I'm off to bed.

* Actually it's only a three day holiday, but they manage to fool themselves into thinking it's a 7 day holiday. Under Chinese law, the statutory holiday is only three days , Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, but to stretch it out they worked both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. So on Thursday they tell themselves we have already worked for Thursday and Friday last weekend, then they have next weekend off, which they do anyway. Somehow they equate this to seven days off work. This bizarre practice of working what they call "make-up" days happens at other public holidays, too.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

Apple Pie just  out of the oven.

1135074374_ApplePieSeptember30th20181.thumb.jpg.074dad725e6fc74ca56228e61b66a2e0.jpg

Not sure if this will tonight's dessert or tonight's dinner. 

@Ann_T  NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!  Cubes of a sharp cheddar cheese and that is what's for BREAKFAST!!!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 hours ago, suzilightning said:

@Ann_T  NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!  Cubes of a sharp cheddar cheese and that is what's for BREAKFAST!!!

@suzilightning,  If it had come out of the oven  any earlier, that might have worked.  But I hate cutting into a hot pie

and letting all the juices/filling flow out.  

Edited by Ann_T (log)

3 hours ago, suzilightning said:

I know I've told this story here before, however I believe it's been a while...

When I was little I once demanded pie for breakfast.  After a firm "no" my mother elaborated:  "Actually I am from New England, and in New England people do eat pie for breakfast -- but this is not New England."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou