• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Dinner tonight was pork chops, made like ShakeNBake, but I made my own breading out of pre-toasted panko, spices, salt and pepper.  Served with white corn on the cob, made with the husk-on microwave method and salad.

breaded-chops.jpg.4df231793afa2518bee52f9084385eaf.jpg

• Like 11

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Dinner tonight was pork chops, made like ShakeNBake, but I made my own breading out of pre-toasted panko, spices, salt and pepper.  Served with white corn on the cob, made with the husk-on microwave method and salad.

breaded-chops.jpg.4df231793afa2518bee52f9084385eaf.jpg

The pork chops look great, @mgaretz! As someone who has not been exposed to “Shake’n’Bake”: how does this differ from regular breading (flour, egg wash, seasoned bread crumbs) ? And I would assume by the name these are made in the oven rather than being fried - can you share your methodology ?

This is not Chinese fried rice. It was fried in China, but there the comparison endeth. This is liuzhou fried rice, and I don't mean the city. I mean me.

Yesterday, as documented on the China Shopping topic,  I picked up a couple of "some kind of mushroom*". I'm pretty sure some kind of Boletus, I'm now sure. Not boletus edulis, but a minor relation.

mushrooms.thumb.jpg.299d8fe0c5cccc86118db3130e0f2588.jpg

Minced some pork and briefly marinated it in Shaoxing wine with garlic, ginger and red chilli. Chopped on mushroom into fine dice and stir fried with the pork and then the rice. Simultaneously sliced half the other mushroom and pan-fried the slices until lightly browned. Finished the fried rice with some scallions and served.

mushroom1.thumb.jpg.9530ef825d2eff9d07fe44e93c429682.jpg

mushroom2.thumb.jpg.d4cbbcd5665a2c797372e83c89b4c55b.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
Replaced video. The first one was subtitled by a deaf moron. (log)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

F5B354B4-A4F7-4837-A591-0E3A0A3F1630.thumb.jpeg.449826dba459e6232d6ef5380ec459d1.jpeg

Radish “sashimi” with ponzu dressing, cucumber pickle and tebasaki wings. 

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

with a spicy kimchi tartar sauce 

You cannot possibly leave we kimchi lovers with something so vague.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

You cannot possibly leave we kimchi lovers with something so vague.

Truth be told, it is different every time I make it, but this time, it was about 5 dill pickle chips, diced, 3 slices of a small sweet onion, diced, about 4 TBS of kimchi, diced, to which I added enough mayo for a good consistency. I have found that this mixture improves with a little time in the fridge, even overnight.

HC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I recently noticed a thread about this year's new cook books and ordered the Korean BBQ book and made Korean Beef Satay from it for dinner. 

20180925_155009.jpg

20180925_155516.jpg

If that is a sauce on the side, what's in it?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Duvel said:

The pork chops look great, @mgaretz! As someone who has not been exposed to “Shake’n’Bake”: how does this differ from regular breading (flour, egg wash, seasoned bread crumbs) ? And I would assume by the name these are made in the oven rather than being fried - can you share your methodology ?

Sure.  I took some panko, toasted it in a skillet until mostly golden.  Mixed it with some seasonings (I cheated and used McCormick's Montreal Poultry Rub), salt and pepper.  Put the moist pork chops in a baggie with the panko mixture and shake until well coated.  Then I cooked them on a rack in my countertop convection oven at 350F with convection for 20 minutes.  Didn't turn them.  Serve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

On 9/23/2018 at 6:30 PM, Anna N said:

143BAF8A-75F5-4314-878A-02D15DC44A67.thumb.jpeg.a07530356950dff123c687809521e32e.jpeg

Crispy skinned chicken thighs, snow peas, onion salad, and tomatoes dressed with tamari and pickled ginger.  

Love all your meals. Great to see the table settings too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Picked up a load of fresh pickerel this afternoon, and just HAD to be Fish 'n' Chips with Japanese Curry gravy...

1234439529_25SeptFishnchips6527.jpg.088c70492226feeb146fdce574e9ee46.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 16
  • Haha 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I had a raw portion of boneless chuck steak about an inch thick and as big as your average pot holder left from a chuck steak dinner the other night and decided to turn it into shredded beef for tacos last night. I put about a TBS each of chili, cumin, half as much kosher salt and garlic powder in a large bowl and thrashed the steak around in there, until it was well coated. I added a few bay leaves, a half a cup of beer and wrapped the thing up tightly in a foil pouch. This was put in the IPot on manual for 90 minutes, with a natural release that took some 45 minutes. It shredded beautifully, was perfectly seasoned and went into the tacos with pico de gallo and shredded Mexican cheese blend from Aldi.

HC

IMG_2044.thumb.JPG.781675b70f68e7c9d82e9cdb07071f5c.JPG

IMG_2051.thumb.JPG.3091f9457f6142c4320e8fdc2f24c31f.JPGIMG_2054.thumb.JPG.7e0a63b9fd85e5414ce9e3193b143ce9.JPGIMG_2056.thumb.JPG.3bbaf40f67c740d3aabb37043a3138a5.JPG

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

14 hours ago, ElsieD said:

If that is a sauce on the side, what's in it?

The meat was marinated in half a cup of the magic paste and a cup of the BBQ sauce plus some  lemongrass and green onions. Afterwards, the marinade was brought to a boil for a couple minutes and was the dipping sauce.  Click on the link at the bottom the this post to see the whole recipe.

Magic Paste 

1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
5 cloves garlic, peeled
2 Tablespoons fennel seeds
1/2 C. fish sauce
1/4 C. toasted sesame  oil
1/4 c. Korean Chili flakes.

Korean BBQ sauce

1 C. dark brown sugar
1/2 C. water
1 C. soy sauce
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
1 Asian pear, peeled, coarsely chopped
1 kiwi, peeled, coarsely chopped
8 cloves garlic, peeled
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
1/4 C. toasted sesame oil

• Like 3

Carnitas in the Instant Pot again, served with salad, refried beans and Spanish rice.  The rice was from a pouch - Uncle Ben's Ready Rice and was very good considering it only took 90 seconds to make.

carnitas3.jpg.1f3cc1331ff0af4621478a246c296667.jpg

• Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

Got gifted a pretty (and tasty) challah bread.

I bought some overripe figs (I was surprised to find any at all). Broiled them and served with sour cream, basil and reduced Balsamic with anise, cinnamon and cardamom.

A salad of peas with feta, mint, almonds and honey vinaigrette.

IMG_20180908_203905.jpg

IMG_20180915_205908.jpgIMG_20180915_205237.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

7 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

The meat was marinated in half a cup of the magic paste and a cup of the BBQ sauce plus some  lemongrass and green onions. Afterwards, the marinade was brought to a boil for a couple minutes and was the dipping sauce.  Click on the link at the bottom the this post to see the whole recipe.

Magic Paste 

1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
5 cloves garlic, peeled
2 Tablespoons fennel seeds
1/2 C. fish sauce
1/4 C. toasted sesame  oil
1/4 c. Korean Chili flakes.

Korean BBQ sauce

1 C. dark brown sugar
1/2 C. water
1 C. soy sauce
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
1 Asian pear, peeled, coarsely chopped
1 kiwi, peeled, coarsely chopped
8 cloves garlic, peeled
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
1/4 C. toasted sesame oil

Thanks for posting this but I don't see a link.