• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Rack of lamb.  They come 'English" style (i.e. not-Frenched 😃).  I pull the cap fat off which has a layer of meat on it.  Take the meat off in one piece.  Trim the fat and sinew off the rack and use meat glue to attach the meat back on to the rack.  You can see the layer in the photo.  

The rack was roasted with a brushing of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, rosemary, pepper and salt.  Served with smashed garden potatoes & roasted garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes Provencale and a salad.

DSC02726.thumb.jpg.6987e9ec77f8647d4bd47b1b10d91a57.jpgDSC02727.thumb.jpg.0ad0d99ea162cbf56181c5c7f86b7c5b.jpgDSC02732.thumb.jpg.c7a0bb05f436ac245de1cb57adb55984.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

23 hours ago, lindag said:

I made this recipe last night.  I discovered after already deciding to make it that I didn't have any kale or cilantro but wanted to go ahead anyway.

I just served it over white rice and it was really fantastic, far better than I had expected  and a dish that I'll definitely make again.

Just looked the recipe up.  The reviews suggested cutting back on the sugar.  Did you? The recipe looks good.

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Just looked the recipe up.  The reviews suggested cutting back on the sugar.  Did you? The recipe looks good.

No.  I didn't read the reviews so I made it as written, except for the kale and cilantro.  It wa very good.

5 minutes ago, lindag said:

No.  I didn't read the reviews so I made it as written, except for the kale and cilantro.  It wa very good.

It's in my "to make" file.  Do you think cutting back on the sugar is a good idea?

18 hours ago, chefmd said:

Wow, just wow!  I love store bought Lao Gan Ma.  How do you make it at home.

I pulse Sichuan heaven-facing chillies in the FP then add other things to it (without further processing). I use olive oil, crisp-fried shallots, pounded Sichuan peppercorns, snipped dried boletus, a pinch of sugar, some salt. You could even add msg or chicken powder if you like. Experiment with ingredients until you find the taste you like. I avoid using pulverised ingredients in this as they tend to cloud the oil. And I also omit garlic for safety reasons. You can always add it when you are ready to eat. Take a look at this recipe for ideas.

I warm some annatto seeds in the oil to get this colour. It's optional, of course.

J9cvc7o.jpg

My standard Turkish Çilbir. The stunning colour comes from warm butter and paprika powder. 

QKqi3Gt.jpg

• Like 10

143BAF8A-75F5-4314-878A-02D15DC44A67.thumb.jpeg.a07530356950dff123c687809521e32e.jpeg

Crispy skinned chicken thighs, snow peas, onion salad, and tomatoes dressed with tamari and pickled ginger.  

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This is what dinner looks like when you are into your 51st hour without power, with no end in sight.  We can't complain too loudly, as my heart goes out to those affected by the two tornados that blew through.  At least we have a home.

20180923_195744.jpg

• Like 12

The return of my annual Fall/Holiday salad.  I could, and should, make this salad year-round, but I wait until the peak of our apple season in Eastern WA and make it through the Holidays.  I guess the "Holiday" term comes into play by using dried cranberries.  It's also very good with a duck confit hindquarter rested on the salad.  Sometimes I'll just pull off some duck confit meat and add that to the salad then garnish it with a nice piece of the duck skin that I crisp under the broiler.  Heck now I need to make some duck confit.

Holiday Salad.JPG

• Like 13

Some recent meals:

NY Steak, cooked SV then seared, served with sweet potato with butter, snap peas cooked ALV and salad.  The second piece was part of my wife's that she had portioned down.

steak-sp-sp.jpg.52414ecf94479f566af95ed1ddfdee0f.jpg

BBQ-style chicken, cooked in the BSOA, that I burnt the skin on a little but it was excellent and really juicy, served with mashed cauliflower and chives, and salad.

bbq-chicken2.jpg.b39e6c17eb634c5162fbe735ea3322e3.jpg

Prime sirloin I scored yesterday from Costco that wasn't out, but I asked the butcher if they had any whole pieces in the cryovac.  He brought out a nice piece at just $5.49 a pound.  I cut it into steaks, bagged and froze them.  Cooked SV with dill seeds, then seared.  Served with salad and glass of Lodi Old Vine Zin.  (Excuse the ragged cut, my wife cut her piece off with the grain.)

sirloin2.jpg.3f90424ab636f44e705e6a98e34a74f6.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs