• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

15 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Looks good.  Love spuds, any kind, cooked any which way.  Were those deep fried and then mixed with the other ingredients?

Yes. This  is a very similar recipe.  The one that I used called for the potatoes to be deep-fried which is what I did.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night, we had (again) chicken curry with homemade prata.  The standard way to do this is to cook potatoes along with the chicken in the curry (I posted the recipe in RecipeGullet).  I've been using Yukon Golds, but every time, they come out much grainier then they should be.  Does this mean that they are not cooked enough, overcooked, or the wrong kind of potato?  I don't think they have yukon's in SE Asia - I'm assuming they use some kind of waxy potato, so I subbed the yukons... maybe there is something better that I could use next time?  Suggestions?  Thanks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I don't think they have yukon's in SE Asia - I'm assuming they use some kind of waxy potato, so I subbed the yukons...

Sorry,  I can't help you with suggestions, but I've never seen anything other than waxy potatoes in SE Asia, more's the pity.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

Just finished a Saumagen in the SV bath. Now enjoying two slices as quality control with a nice Riesling while waiting for the super typhoon hitting HK tonight ...

WP_20180915_21_48_44_Pro.jpg

Well, that sent me to Google. Now I'm convinced I must make this. What time/temp did you SV at?

@Ann_T, I'd be happy with the tortilla, but thrilled with the tapas platter. I need to make a tortilla. Been a while.

@weinoo, I like the thought of that treatment for the beans, particularly now that I have learned there is an olive oil/vinegar store in Jonesboro and I no longer have to go to Memphis to get specialty vinegars and good olive oil. I'm going to check it out Monday and this will be on my menu. Maybe with saumagen and sauerkraut!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Fatayer flat bread, laminated with olive oil and herbs (this was takeaway).

Chopped vegetable salad, with olive oil, lemon juice and zest.

Purslane and scallions salad, with silan and olive oil dressing.

Labneh with zaatar.

IMG_20180908_132103.thumb.jpg.495c16fe8694bacdd26fda2079f223b3.jpgIMG_20180908_131629.thumb.jpg.c9d6b3ac14b9a90ca64dce4a5fa89108.jpgIMG_20180908_131656.thumb.jpg.753251ea0e6eeb5592b06521c0522724.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

Did some outside work which was less than enjoyable due to the intelligence of the clientele.   But on the way home, picked up 3/4 lb of fresh Fla grouper.   

Paired  it with the only things I could find that made sense.  A bag of fresh cut corn in the freezer, a partial onion and 5 brussel sprouts.  

Fine diced the onion and cooked with the corn  and shredded the sprouts.  Used orange juice from the navel orange I've been harvesting peel for Old Fashioneds.   Glad I could render more peel for another barrel aged old fashioned and the juice went to a good cause, dinner 

Don't you just love it when it all works out 

The grouper was just cooked through and the corn relish if you can call it that made a nice side dish.  The Old Fashioneds were enjoyed before and after dinner.   It was a win, win ,win

• Like 8

8 hours ago, kayb said:

Well, that sent me to Google. Now I'm convinced I must make this. What time/temp did you SV at?

@Ann_T, I'd be happy with the tortilla, but thrilled with the tapas platter. I need to make a tortilla. Been a while.

@weinoo, I like the thought of that treatment for the beans, particularly now that I have learned there is an olive oil/vinegar store in Jonesboro and I no longer have to go to Memphis to get specialty vinegars and good olive oil. I'm going to check it out Monday and this will be on my menu. Maybe with saumagen and sauerkraut!

The Saumagen was made from 600 g minced pork, 400 g coarsely chopped lean beef and pork and 450 g blanched potato cubes. The minced pork has to be properly emulsified at low temperatures to create enough binding for the (presalted) chopped lean meat and the potatoes; I used curing salt for that nice pink color. The combined mass was kneaded by hand and then shaped into a log with 10 cm diameter, tighly wrapped into two layers of cling film, followed by two layers of heavy duty aluminum foil. 3h at 75 oC in the SV bath, followed by chilling and sampling 😉

• Like 3

Dinner tonight was my imagination of what Georgian pizza might be.  I started with CSO chicken:

Chicken09162018.png

The pizza was Modernist Bread Neapolitan dough with summer savory and a typical Georgian sauce of garlic and walnuts, with mozzarella and cows' milk feta standing in for unobtainable unpasteurized Georgian soft cows' milk cheese.  Georgian bread typically encloses the cheeses in an envelope of dough, but this was pizza!

GeorgianPizza09162018.png

This was an aggressive* full three minute bake so the bottom and top were charred.  In a delightfully good way.

Dinner09162018.png

Served with Ramapo tomatoes.  Makes eight tomatoes for me so far today.  Thankfully the season should soon be over.

*Oven shut down with an overheat condition.

• Like 14

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6B515652-6266-407E-B12E-548C511ACEFE.thumb.jpeg.e703f3d7351a97b8009fa64e38eb22d7.jpeg

Chicken katsu, potato salad and seaweed salad. 

• Like 13

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

While the Missus was flashing her MasterCard while shopping, I was taking pictures as I have been forcibly placed on a diet of Vegies and started feeling Rabbit like......

- Assiette de Crudités: Avocado - Green Onions - Cucumber - Red Bell Pepper - Potatoes - Egg - Beetroot - Tomatoes

zkxE5bN.jpg

- Then I bought my favorite Walnuts Preserve for dessert. This time an Armenian Circassian brand.

Green Walnuts (with no idea what to do with it)

t8zMrIF.jpg

A jar of Walnut Preserve

fZzKc7S.jpg

eJIF6kT.jpg

dKdMaBX.jpg

pE2YGzR.jpg

The new hoody fleece: Prosecco made me do it

TEIHSKZ.jpg

- And a lonely table just for one.............................momentarily

frwgU7q.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 4

@Nicolai

""  I have been forcibly placed on a diet of Vegies ""

that's a bit sad.  Ill have to Pull a Cork  [ ed.: or Twist a Top ]

Early today in Commiseration .

Unknown-1.jpeg.df37fa03c57b622c467ed56e51dcc68e.jpeg

However , the Eagle's Eye has noted  ' Egg '  on your plate.

after having noted the above ,  I can see a Justification [ by president already set ] for a More Mature Egg

on Subsequent Platings

i.e. a Chicken !

I didn't see any Cheese on the Index Plate

so it would be hard to justify on Future Platings

Immature cheese

ie , Beef , Lamb , Goat   etc.

but you can work on that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Nicolai

""  I have been forcibly placed on a diet of Vegies ""

that's a bit sad.  Ill have to Pull a Cork  [ ed.: or Twist a Top ]

Early today in Commiseration .

Unknown-1.jpeg.df37fa03c57b622c467ed56e51dcc68e.jpeg

However , the Eagle's Eye has noted  ' Egg '  on your plate.

after having noted the above ,  I can see a Justification [ by president already set ] for a More Mature Egg

on Subsequent Platings

i.e. a Chicken !

I didn't see any Cheese on the Index Plate

so it would be hard to justify on Future Platings

Immature cheese

ie , Beef , Lamb , Goat   etc.

but you can work on that.

Me think you are perfectly right. We shall have a discussion tonight and as usual She will have the last word  😪

Id suggest a Personal Beverage or Two

for facilitation purposes only.  Prior to negotiations .

if funding is available ,id suggest you move up a bit from Prosecco

( as nice as Prosecco might be )

it might help you Make your Case.

just saying.

Made a version of "Fish Pie" from Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food cookbook.  I've been a big fan on Tom's cooking for years and love streaming it on my TV.  But my version needs some work.  Mainly, I can't get smoked haddock locally, and I could find any smoked whitefish that might be a decent substitute.  I could have used smoked salmon, but still not the same so next time I'll break the budget and order some Scottish smoked haddock online.  I'd also change the sauce base a little.  Tom calls for his version of a white sauce, but I'd use my version which is basically the same, but add more lemon juice and butter, and add some dried red pepper flakes.  I used prawns, salmon and cod, but any seafood would probably work.  But I'm being overly critical as it was delicious and I should make a fish pie more often.

Seafood Pot Pie #1.JPGSeafood Pot Pie #2.JPG

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

36 minutes ago, David Ross said:

But I'm being overly critical as it was delicious and I should make a fish pie more often.

I remember the first time I was offered a fish pie.  This one had a mashed potato crust rather than a pastry crust. I was quite sure I would hate it.  Instead I asked for the recipe and made it for quite a number of years for me and my husband. The recipe has long gone and even the memory is fading but I do recall that it was very, very good. 😂

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

@Nicolai

Nice.

I didn't want to intrude and tell you Exactly

what too get  

but you've done quite well.

I have no idea what that gold plated bottle is on the far R

but if it cost you more

Id start with that

then move on to the other Bottles

before  , well , you discuss the egg

and all  the etc.

best of luck !

BTW , after you all develop a need for some 

tasty treats

you do have those ready and available 

Just in case ?

good !

17 hours ago, Duvel said:

The Saumagen was made from 600 g minced pork, 400 g coarsely chopped lean beef and pork and 450 g blanched potato cubes. The minced pork has to be properly emulsified at low temperatures to create enough binding for the (presalted) chopped lean meat and the potatoes; I used curing salt for that nice pink color. The combined mass was kneaded by hand and then shaped into a log with 10 cm diameter, tighly wrapped into two layers of cling film, followed by two layers of heavy duty aluminum foil. 3h at 75 oC in the SV bath, followed by chilling and sampling 😉

No spices?