• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

1473297004_ArtichokePestoPizzaSeptember11th2018.thumb.jpg.59a6a635338efb8f3dc181ad64c165f0.jpg

Baking bread tonight and used a little of the dough to make another Artichoke Pesto Pizza for my son.

1465674800_ArtichokePestoPizzaSeptember11th20181.thumb.jpg.60e93c8985e77ad0d1fd55ad6f3f1d1f.jpg

Fresh tomato sauce using tomatoes from our garden.  Matt made a pesto sauce from our basil.

Baked at 600°F on a stone on the grill.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

I wanted bacon cheeseburger pizza last night.  I wasn't sure if Ronnie would want it, too, lol so I made a regular for him.

IMG_5150.JPG.79f3ad66ebeb085f9cfaf44081e39f16.JPG

Venison burger with bacon, onion, diced pickles.  Sauce is just ketchup and mustard mixed together.  Don't judge --it's good ;)

IMG_5147.jpg.07bda0340f87d2a8662ea61527f91ec4.jpg

Venison burger with olives, mushrooms, onions and pickled jalapeños 

IMG_5148.JPG.8c765b0c80f407d7b708cc9b3266e7c3.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG.7bd932e492757e4842833c68e8a5795f.JPG

• Like 17

13 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Did you like it?  I am having it for dinner tonight!  We must both subscribe to Food and Wine 🙂  I hope it was good--I made the sauce last night so there's no going back now.

We liked it. :)  I have not subscribed to Food and Wine for quite a while but they still send me emails.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

Roasted baby potatoes (the small vessel doesn't do them justice in the picture). With mustard, rosemary and lemon zest sauce.

And a warm salad of roasted beets, sweet potato and mushrooms with arugula and a simple vinaigrette. 

IMG_20180831_145913.thumb.jpg.cd3b72f97efe3c8356fead85d0534cf5.jpgIMG_20180905_211711.thumb.jpg.6f9b6248f752642517f8e6a6bc684ddf.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Here's my shrimp creole.  I thought it was a touch too salty.  The sauce was fine, but I think once I combined it with the shrimp that had been tossed in additional creole seasoning before sautéing the salt level got a bit too high.  It might have been the creole seasoning I used (Zatarain's).  Here's the recipe I believe both @Norm Matthews and I used https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/shrimp-creole

I really, really hate green bell peppers, so I used a red bell pepper in mine, but otherwise followed the recipe with an added scallion garnish.  

creole.thumb.jpg.8a0916e41bc273b8684a4355942030db.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Prepared Cajun seasonings are always horribly salty. I use them, but sparingly. Zatarain's is no better or worse than most of the others. I use one sold by a little Cajun restaurant and seafood market not far away.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Thanks to @mgaretz I haven't been able to get beef stew out of my mind which is kind of funny because I'm not a beef stew type of gal.  So that's what we had for dinner.  I cooked the veg separately and combined them to reheat in the stewed meat when it was done.  So, as they say, that itch has been scratched.

20180912_194109.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Smoked a small pork loin on the grill this morning using the pellet pipe smoker.

I have six burner grill and I had all the burners turned off but one and it was on low to maintain a 275°F for five hours. The pork and the pipe were over one of the cold burners.

Pipe smoked for 5 hours and the internal temperature of the roast was 140°F. Wrapped the roast in foil and roasted in the oven for just under two hours to bring the temperature up to 190°F so it was fall apart tender and easy to pull.

I had intended to make a Carolina Vinegar BBQ sauce and a coleslaw and make pulled pork sandwiches for dinner.

583415925_SmokedPorkLoinpulledporkSeptember12th2018.thumb.jpg.dd1f4f433f682d6971feb37eb6de71bc.jpg

But when I took the board into show Moe the pork, and give him a taste, he decided he was happy just picking at the pork with a couple of slices of buttered baguette. I can't believe the great smoke flavour imparted by just the smoke pipe.

The pull pork sandwiches are now destined for tomorrow's dinner.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, kayb said:

Prepared Cajun seasonings are always horribly salty. I use them, but sparingly. Zatarain's is no better or worse than most of the others. I use one sold by a little Cajun restaurant and seafood market not far away.

I picked up some Tony Chachere Cajun seasoning a while back at the dollar store and found it not overly salty yet flavorful.  https://www.target.com/p/tony-chachere-s-174-creole-seasoning-8oz/-/A-15225940?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Grocery+Essentials+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Grocery&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9031078&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3o_jspO33QIVj8DACh1UEQgNEAQYASABEgKvDfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 2

5 hours ago, heidih said:

I picked up some Tony Chachere Cajun seasoning a while back at the dollar store and found it not overly salty yet flavorful.

Yes, heidi, I'm surprised at how good some of the seasonings I was able get at Dollar General are. Cheap too, and that probably encouraged me to experiment more than I would have at a more expensive supplier. The grocery store spices and herbs are super expensive around here.

The other night I made popovers to go with some split pea soup I had in the freezer. I baked the popovers in a six-slot Nordic Ware muffin pan that fits in the CSO. These were so good! I usually made popovers in a jumbo 6-slot muffin pan, but it would not quite fit into the CSO and allow the door to close. The popover recipe was easy to split because the full recipe called for two eggs. My usual muffin recipe calls for only an egg for 12 muffins, so I guess beat the egg, measure and use half for a half recipe.

Then yesterday I roasted chicken wings with garlic, rosemary, oregano and chicken seasoning from the dollar store that I found at the back of the pantry. served with angel hair with butter and parm and field peas with snaps. Tonight I had the rest of the chicken wings with store bought toaster waffles and part of a nectarine.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

0E4BE80E-FDD1-4AEA-BB74-72910DAD1334.thumb.jpeg.98153bf676c610f1929d88d020538108.jpeg

If there is something called a “dump cake” then why not a “dump salad”?   Really it is  just a “clear the fridge” salad.  

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I guess I was lucky with the Creole seasoning mix I used. I accidently used two tablespoons instead of two teaspoons, but I noticed it all settled to the bottom of the mixing bowl so I didn't stir it up and when I poured it out into the skillet, I left most of it behind and when I seasoned the shrimp, I just sprinkled a little of it on the shrimp so I probably ended up using less of the mix than the recipe intended. 

PS I used some Asian stir fry mix on some chicken a few days ago and it ended up so salty, I threw the leftovers out.  There were a lot of left overs because we didn't eat much in the first place. 

• Like 1

House and cat sitting for friends who are in Italy.

Went to the local farm stand and picked up some of the soup they make - ham and split pea.  Made a small BLT with some of their lettuces and tomatoes my friend had grown; threw a few fresh basil leaves on as well.

The first of their Brussels sprouts are coming in so thinking of a saute or roast of them this weekend.  They also had some of their own small red potatoes so bought a bag.  Half for potato salad - peas, minded onion, hard boiled eggs with celery salt and Miracle whip and the other half for home fries.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

A couple of recent dinners - 

Baked penne with Bolognese:

DSCN8580.JPG.bd7ab0375d3a6e1f9670129f20d5345d.JPG

Extra sauce:

DSCN8583.JPG.cad5855db1e5c127545d3d07ecc01618.JPG

Salad:

DSCN8582.JPG.0fffc8ca5fde23df56dcc53d10ee79f1.JPG

Wonderful ATK Garlic Bread:

DSCN8585.JPG.0a1dea554380724717763de02ed9d910.JPG

I've made this before and it makes a little more work than regular garlic bread, but worth it, I think.  The real trick is after it has cooked a few minutes on a baking sheet, you flip it over and put another baking sheet on top of the bread and bake a little longer.  That really puts a great crust on the bread - almost like grilling it.

Shake and Bake pork chops, green beans, candied yams and fried green tomatoes:

DSCN8602.JPG.47b42b4dda0c05a802b532078b8f605a.JPG

I no longer apologize for Shake and Bake since @Marlene once confessed that it was a favorite! 😁

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I no longer apologize for Shake and Bake since @Marlene once confessed that it was a favorite! 😁

The juiciest, best pork chops I ever made used Shake and Bake. Then I got snobby!😂

• Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

66B676FB-8CD4-4580-9E5A-37693035D4C1.thumb.jpeg.8c0f2f7f2d8f52d5d8fca92759cd0b0b.jpeg

Grilled chicken breast with umeboshi plum paste (from Izakaya The Japanese Pub Cookbook) and broccoli stem kinpira (from Justbento.com) washed down with a little warm sake. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks. They bring a little humour to my meals.

My 2004 eG Blog

Charlie got some new patio furniture so I rearranged the outdoor cooking stuff. Then I smoked some St. Louis cut ribs.  I put the Weber out on the curb with a FREE sign on it and it was shortly gone.  Whoever got it paid as much for it as I did when someone left it for me some 8 or 9 years ago. I forgot to rotate the ribs during the cooking so you can tell how close they were to the fire by how much they fell off the bone... or didn't :)

20180913_110333.jpg

20180913_133306.jpg

• Like 21
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

66B676FB-8CD4-4580-9E5A-37693035D4C1.thumb.jpeg.8c0f2f7f2d8f52d5d8fca92759cd0b0b.jpeg

Grilled chicken breast with umeboshi plum paste (from Izakaya The Japanese Pub Cookbook) and broccoli stem kinpira (from Justbento.com) washed down with a little warm sake. 

Fanstaic dinner, as walways ! And I see you have received the "Izakaya" book 😉

The grilled chicken with Bainiku is one of my favourites. After some back and forth I usually cook it SV these days (133 oF for that medium rare texture), then just sear. You can loosen the Bainiku paste with a bit of sake for easier brushing. One thing I would add is the shiso. I was never a big fan, but the combination of Bainiku and fresh shiso is what elevates the simple preparation from my point of view. I think I know what I have to do on the weekend ...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Fanstaic dinner, as walways ! And I see you have received the "Izakaya" book 😉

The grilled chicken with Bainiku is one of my favourites. After some back and forth I usually cook it SV these days (133 oF for that medium rare texture), then just sear. You can loosen the Bainiku paste with a bit of sake for easier brushing. One thing I would add is the shiso. I was never a big fan, but the combination of Bainiku and fresh shiso is what elevates the simple preparation from my point of view. I think I know what I have to do on the weekend ...

Thank you. I appreciate your help and your attention. I did not know the name of the sauce until you mentioned it. The sake to loosen the paste is genius. Fresh shiso is about as easy to get as hen’s teeth.  And please don’t suggest I grow it. I can kill even artificial plants within 24 hours of acquiring them.  

• Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Pan seared paiche with roasted potatoes.

E5A8B290-4F65-471E-ABF3-31994987405B.thumb.jpeg.2815863d32e7f4e87b3a9c1e9a4ddd4e.jpeg

What is the sauce?  And do you have a picture after you roasted the potatoes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou