• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

18F5B43B-D711-4AD1-8EDB-516F7659A595.thumb.jpeg.0e18c6a962976a36766acadf1a6c2d60.jpeg

Seared chasu, broccoli gomae, soy-simmered shiitake and rice. 

• Like 18

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Chicken with basil cream sauce

005.thumb.jpg.91bdcafda3410c8170cd21450a41851e.jpg

By pure coincidence I had a craving for steak Diane too!  Flank steak, 132 F x 2 hrs.

I've found flank steaks to vary a lot in their SV times...some need 3 or 4 hrs. So now, when I buy a flank I do a SV test on a chunk and then write the proper time for that piece of meat on the vacuum bag before freezing it.

021.thumb.jpg.92811c6aaf903b76802e98a77f9a2b79.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

Ditto on the coincidence...I am hosting a dinner Tuesday and I am sous viding grass fed flank steak.  I have been doing mine at 131f for 24 hrs.  It turns out nice and tender and cooked to our preferred doneness...I will hopefully remember to take a picture.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb

interesting technique w FS

would your '2 hr ' steak suffer being cooked for 4 ?

at those low temps ?    130.1 F ?

I doubt it. But if two will do it that's a good thing. 

3 or 4 hrs is more typical. And 24 hrs doesn't hurt either. 

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

at low temps , 130.1  maybe even 132

tender cuts , for me , don't suffer from a 4 hour swim in the bath.

I agree 4 hrs is not excessive. Unless I'm hungry. 

I wonder at the variation in flank times. Tenderloin and strip  are pretty uniform from one steak to the next re time and tenderness. Not so flank. They look equally non-marbled but cook up different. Clearly err on the side of longer cooks. 

Unless you

are hungry. 

Grass fed meat is notoriously less tender than grain fed which is why I go with 24 hours.  I have two flank steaks and one was fine but the other one had been cross hatch scored by the forking butcher!  Sheesh.  Leave my meat alone.  I love the farmers who I get the meat from but the butcher they use sucks...same idiot who cuts the lamb shank bones into three making it impossible to make a nice presentation.  Grrrr.  And their lamb ‘stew’ meat is the breast cut into cubes...way, way too fatty in my books.  Ok, I will stop.  I do like the meat flavour and knowing where my meat comes from.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Grass fed meat is notoriously less tender than grain fed which is why I go with 24 hours.  I have two flank steaks and one was fine but the other one had been cross hatch scored by the forking butcher!  Sheesh.  Leave my meat alone.  I love the farmers who I get the meat from but the butcher they use sucks...same idiot who cuts the lamb shank bones into three making it impossible to make a nice presentation.  Grrrr.  And their lamb ‘stew’ meat is the breast cut into cubes...way, way too fatty in my books.  Ok, I will stop.  I do like the meat flavour and knowing where my meat comes from.

Why don't you tell them you hate the butcher. He thinks a flank steak is a duck breast? What do you do with a mutilated flank steak? Fajitas?

infuriating. 

Edited by gfweb (log)

I wish it were that simple.  There are not many butchers in the area.  Most are small operations who could not cope with the volume the farm produces.  This is due to our stupid government officials who imposed ridiculous rules to which existing butchers had to meet and due to the cost many threw in the towel including the butcher the farmer used to use.  So now the poor animals have to be transported for slaughter and butchery to a large operation three hours away.  The farmer doesn’t have confidence in other butchers.  But, what I should really do is provide feedback to the farmer and I know she will pass it on to the butcher.  They likely have several butchers working at the facility.  Tough situation.

i will cook the mutilated pieces and my hubby and I will eat those and the good pieces from the second steak will go on our guests’ plates.

edited to add I just emailed the farmer about my issues.  Also, when they used the local butcher I could get my lambs whole and we butchered them at home.  This was ideal but not possible now.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Sad 1

Not a great picture, but a fun dinner on the patio last night. Leftover slices of steak, a few slices of two local salamis, bruschetta al pomodoro,  sliced brie, and some fresh bread with a little pot of hot ragu sauce, that Deb made along with a favorite local red, Casalgallo. Interestingly enough, it is more expensive to buy this wine at the vineyard, than it is to get it at the local grocerie store, around the corner from the vineyard, in Quercegrossa.DSCN0447.thumb.JPG.5a80166fb4da22f40b808dc0df62e334.JPGDSC01652.thumb.JPG.9af907ab0ebb7ba47a2d3a6429c6f72f.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 15

Finally got a ripe watermelon from the garden.  I've been waiting all summer so I could make Pork Steaks in Red Curry Braised Watermelon from Deep Run Roots again.

I said last summer that when I make this again I'll have fried okra along side because I thought it would go good :) 

IMG_5132.JPG.19d30a76ad11b60fea20d3c2d5e8cace.JPG

IMG_5133.JPG.22d396d444c229ee3f4944ccff4ce3f2.JPG

IMG_5140.JPG.c8d9ad8f909845774570c9352c38be87.JPG

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

C4FC5197-CBC6-412B-A1BB-50CCA43DC55A.thumb.jpeg.3d19bd6f6a5c11f9bd25c26cbf0048e5.jpeg

Sardines in tomato sauce, cucumber and seaweed salad and some rice.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Saturday night dinner with friends.

Cassoulet Toulousain (Autumn) from MC, without the duck 

20180908_182927.thumb.jpg.fdbb1b9ad133f19770c66328c83872e2.jpg

It's Lamb Shoulder cooked for 48h in stock and duck fat w/ spices, a garlic sausage I made myself, beans pressure cooked in stock, and a ham broth.

I wanted to make Duck Leg Confit, but there were no local sources for Duck Legs as one supplier in my state had their duck barn burn down. :(  I didn't want to pay $80 to get duck legs and tongues shipped from Pennsylvania.

It was still quite yummy!

For desert it was Pavlova my wife made:

20180908_190754.thumb.jpg.2e85a6a97bd37a2f76df512534bfb786.jpg

Raspberries from our garden, White Nectarines, and Golden Figs, in a cream sauce with a meringue base.  It was divine.

Alone with this I opened the first bottle of my case of 2012 Whitehall Lanes Cabernet Sauvignon wine, and it was fantastic!  

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1