• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

42 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Sort of remembered I was half British tonight.

Pork tenderloin cutlets with garlicky, buttery, broccoli purée, spicy carrot purée and plain boiled spuds. Went down a treat.

With all due respect to your partial culinary heritage other to show one can, why puree broccoli? I mean, would you puree the pork?

Here I have been sticking up for British cooking for the last twenty-some years and you go and post a picture of broccoli puree. Jeepers. *grin*

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com

Dove season opened up yesterday.  Ronnie and Chum braved the heat and brought home dinner :) .  He always leaves the hearts and livers intact for me.  The gizzards, pictured on the left side, will be fried at a later date.

IMG_5110.jpg.d3ee827cf94f04dfdd11409c3929cfae.jpg

Stuffed with a half a jalapeño from the garden, wrapped in bacon, seasoned with black pepper, garlic and Dale's and ready to go on the grill

IMG_5111.JPG.8ab524cd068134c002c76f62e457e8b3.JPG

IMG_5114.JPG.94531757790fc961981bc86cc8934de4.JPG

Cucumber salad

IMG_5112.JPG.6cc348b161c489f4c64e9a6604259068.JPG

SO good.  Also tried sous vide corn for the first time.  Color us impressed.

IMG_5115.JPG.85c782f2d60f3763ef936bf6dee25bc6.JPG

• Like 19
  • Delicious 1

59 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Pork tenderloin cutlets with garlicky, buttery, broccoli purée, spicy carrot purée and plain boiled spuds. Went down a treat.

I am a late comer to the joys of broccoli purée. It almost seems like a completely different vegetable. I like broccoli many ways: lightly steamed, roasted, stir-fried,  almost any way except raw. I can accept and appreciate julienned raw stems in a salad but raw florets are just wrong. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, Auspicious said:

With all due respect to your partial culinary heritage other to show one can, why puree broccoli? I mean, would you puree the pork?

Here I have been sticking up for British cooking for the last twenty-some years and you go and post a picture of broccoli puree. Jeepers. *grin*

99% of the time  I am served broccoli it's bland and tasteless, overcooked ot undercooked.  The only way I like it is to add some flavour through a purée. This one was garlicky and buttery and delicious. I will certainly not apologise for it.

Don't knock it till you try it.

And yes, there are circumstances where I would purée pork. Not in that dish though.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

44 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am a late comer to the joys of broccoli purée. It almost seems like a completely different vegetable. I like broccoli many ways: lightly steamed, roasted, stir-fried,  almost any way except raw. I can accept and appreciate julienned raw stems in a salad but raw florets are just wrong. 

Agree that puréed broccoli tastes like a different vegetable. In my opinion, an edible one! 🤣

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I love broccoli, even pureed, just not raw.   I would be all over your dinner @liuzhou.  Except for the carrots.  Only vegetable I hate. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I love broccoli, even pureed, just not raw.   I would be all over your dinner @liuzhou.  Except for the carrots.  Only vegetable I hate. 

There are sad, deluded fools in the world who think my abhorrence of corn is irrational, so I'm not going criticise your carrot hating.

Many years ago (half a century and more), when I was a stroppy teenager, my family had a loose tradition that whoever was having a birthday chose the birthday dinner. One year, maybe 13 or 14 years old, I decided that what I really wanted was a plate of raw, shredded carrots with vinegar. What was I thinking?

Anyway, they duly prepared it but didn't partake themselves. It was good, but I sat there salivating at whatever they were eating. I still like carrots, but every time I eat them, I remember how embarrassingly stupid I was back then.

A few years later the tradition evolved into choosing which restaurant to eat in - one I kept up with my kids and they have carried on with my grand-kids. I don't think carrots have ever been a feature since my epic fail.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

99% of the time  I am served broccoli it's bland and tasteless, overcooked ot undercooked.  The only way I like it is to add some flavour through a purée. This one was garlicky and buttery and delicious. I will certainly not apologise for it.

Accepted. I have a little trouble with the concept of "undercooked" broccoli since I think it is dandy raw as long as fresh. I can see an easy garlic sauce for dipping fresh broccoli.

I suppose in principle broccoli soup is a puree and I do like broccoli soup.

I do agree with you that overcooked broccoli is anathema.

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

Dove season opened up yesterday.  Ronnie and Chum braved the heat and brought home dinner :) .  He always leaves the hearts and livers intact for me.  The gizzards, pictured on the left side, will be fried at a later date.

IMG_5110.jpg.d3ee827cf94f04dfdd11409c3929cfae.jpg

Stuffed with a half a jalapeño from the garden, wrapped in bacon, seasoned with black pepper, garlic and Dale's and ready to go on the grill

IMG_5111.JPG.8ab524cd068134c002c76f62e457e8b3.JPG

IMG_5114.JPG.94531757790fc961981bc86cc8934de4.JPG

Cucumber salad

SO good.  Also tried sous vide corn for the first time.  Color us impressed.

Dove season is huge a couple of counties south of us, but not so much here. Long as I have someone to clean them for me, I love to cook the little babies. Grilled breasts wrapped in bacon, or breaded like chicken-fried steak and quickly browned, then simmered in red wine (also one of my favorite treatments for duck breasts).

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9208E0F8-8170-446F-8069-EBBB037678E8.thumb.jpeg.d56eb85d58e82f1bb96d933f22fbb0ee.jpeg

Japanese braised pork ribs (here) and romaine with miso-mustard dressing (here). 

• Like 14

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I made a big batch of sausage rolls for my kids Lunch Boxes this afternoon and toddled off to other housework whilst they cooled. Something was lost in communication and a Free For All ensued. Lunches became Dinner. 

All that Remained. 

20180902_184203.thumb.jpg.cea974449b8943e8e3ba478af7cd59c1.jpg

They look so good. There wouldn't have been any left if I was there! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

EE5EBB8F-F12E-47AB-A488-CDBC05931B87.thumb.jpeg.04a852c7cc81091797ba0d9b930afb10.jpeg

Teriyaki Chicken Thigh Kebabs (Sous Vide at 149F for 2 hours; skewered, grilled and finished with additional Teriyaki sauce) with Grilled Zucchini, Red Bell Pepper, Mushrooms and Yellow Onion.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 11

Last week's loss leader at the local market was corn.  This is the time of year for it.  Had to buy ten ears.  Tonight's dinner was corn.  Last night's dinner was corn.  Almost as despised as tomatoes.  Salad both nights (and for as many nights now as I can remember) was tomatoes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Thai red curried duck. Rice. Asparagus.

red1.thumb.jpg.9d26bc4df42427e9cf3665f7290529e3.jpg

I boned and skinned a couple of duck legs for the meat. The bones are now making stock and the fat and skin will be rendered tomorrow for future use.

red2.thumb.jpg.b968929bb7a02a12606c4cd3b9c68522.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 17

The pork steaks were quite good, less the step of flooding the laundry room floor (see the I Will Never Again thread). Very simple prep -- sprinkled down in Penzey's Greek seasoning, bagged and cooked at 145 for 16 hours. Took them out and coated them down with a sauce made from fig jam, balsamic vinegar and smoked pimenton.  Stuck some brats in the smoker alongside them, as we had room. 

1217558948_porksteak.jpg.9dcfb641d317f6d7133fc11b5dd56222.jpg

Had it with mac and cheese and baked beans.

I may cook a steak today. Feeling the urge.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A couple of recent meals:

Tri-tip, cooked SV at 121F for 9 hours then seared, served with sweet potato and salad.

tt-sp.jpg.4d6dc3a20d5fa86c2d46a496af878bac.jpg

Char siu made in the Instant Pot and Breville Smart Oven Air, served with yu choi cooked ALV with butter and a glass of Lodi Pinto Noir.  See the IP thread for the char siu cooking details.

char-siu-ip.jpg.967af1f03ff8d44a70c6c69fcde86a46.jpg

• Like 13

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

A222FB8A-BF00-482D-AB04-0AE94AFEDBCD.thumb.jpeg.f4acd5f3fd2f599f49cca11e3dd88a0b.jpeg

Tomato salad with soy dressing.  Here.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog