• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

27 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Only shallow fried in it. Worked well. It's the best electronic wok I've ever used. It gets the heat up the side of the walls nicely. I'm just discovering that my newest toy can replace a lot of my old appliances, so I'm making a mental list of things to sell in my head :)

Would it work for deep frying?  I keep looking at them as I would like to have something I can deep fry in on my balcony.  They wouldn't take as much oil and it's not like I want to deep fry whole turkeys.  Just some chicken wings, donuts, fries, that sort of thing.

Edited by ElsieD (log)

40 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Would it work for deep frying?  I keep looking at them as I would like to have something I can deep fry in on my balcony.  They wouldn't take as much oil and it's not like I want to deep fry whole turkeys.  Just some chicken wings, donuts, fries, that sort of thing.

It should. Temperatures would have to be tested though. You are just given a dial with 1-14 on it. Not very specific.

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

17 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

It should. Temperatures would have to be tested though. You are just given a dial with 1-14 on it. Not very specific.

Well, if you ever want to sell yours, keep me in mind.  I could well be interested.

21 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks!  Enjoy your “tough” life while you can.:biggrin:

Thanks. I shall try. 

Thursday night: Topolobampo. Perhaps my favourite restaurant in the country (if not the world)

one suffers for one’s art...

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I went to a road side farmers stand and got okra and tomatoes for dinner tonight. I was going to just grill a steak to go with it but was afraid it would not be enough so I added a shrimp salad.  I was wrong. Neither of us could  finish it all.  There will be left overs. 

20180815_170307.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

20985A6C-6229-432D-863F-FD63735BC624.thumb.jpeg.2de7f4677c72d9bed58b9f03fe0e8457.jpeg 

Leftover sausage reheated in the Cuisinart Steam Oven with some mustard mayo. Two salads:  cucumber salad with a sweet lime vinegar dressing (a riff on a recipe from Saladish) and a tomato salad with a spicy ponzu dressing (a riff on a recipe from Japaneasy). 

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

can some of you come cook for me?

and maybe help me find the freaking thread about losing your cooking mojo? - I tried about every iteration I could think of but couldn't find it.

today I managed to freaking ruin a meatloaf!!!!  MEATLOAF??!!! I can make that in my sleep but I managed to mess it up and had to dump the whole freaking thing....

It is times like this that I ALMOST wish I could drink again.....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

51 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

can some of you come cook for me?

and maybe help me find the freaking thread about losing your cooking mojo? - I tried about every iteration I could think of but couldn't find it.

today I managed to freaking ruin a meatloaf!!!!  MEATLOAF??!!! I can make that in my sleep but I managed to mess it up and had to dump the whole freaking thing....

It is times like this that I ALMOST wish I could drink again.....

Your wish is my command

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robirdstx said:

9DDC84FE-3B09-4716-90BC-BE5F8CFCECE6.thumb.jpeg.b3ff9730395b0aec17986e13c4e953f4.jpeg

Cajun Spiced Grilled Chicken Wings with Zucchini and Red Bell Pepper Sauté 

It's late and I'm tired, but I look at those wings and think "I could plate those so they looked like a giant spider..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Possibly the best pizza I have eaten, without exaggeration.  A three minute pizza, nicely blackened.  However all was not beer and skittles.  A third of the pizza stuck to the peel.  And a third of the pizza stuck to the window of the oven door.  (Which I had just cleaned from the last attempt.)  There must be a way of keeping pizza off the oven door.

Worse, after scraping the remains from the steel (and good they were) the oven went into failure mode F2.  I had to throw the breaker.  Failure mode F2 indicates an oven temperature above 615F - 630F.  Suggestions welcome.

Sorry, no pictures.

• Confused 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, mm84321 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d2a459cbdaa822cc

E6D46283-C385-4A8B-A3AC-A3B39A0F6E8F.jpeg

Is that a tomato tart satin?  Whatever it is, I'd eat it!  🙂

Sometimes I just want a BLT for dinner.  Tomato from my garden.  I'm losing the lower tomatoes to chipmunks that tunnel underground and come up inside the fencing, but luckily my vines grew nice and tall so there's still some for me.

BLT.thumb.jpg.c88f72f26b5b49286b086774ec92d56e.jpg

• Like 13

No pics (I'm sure I've put them up before), but last night was Malaysian chicken curry with homemade prata and some stir fried yu choi that I found in my recently discovered H-Mart 4 blocks away from me!  I wonder how long it had been there for?  Obviously, I am probably the last person to know about it since the place is constantly packed.  They've got great quality fish and very nice asian produce which makes me happy.  The yu choi was almost as good as the one I used to grow in my windowsill - except it was full of dirt, which my hydro plants never get.

I'm really happy with last night's prata - it was the same dough as before (I made 4 meals worth and froze them), but I let the pan heat up more and cooked it for less time - this time, the texture was much better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Sometimes I just want a BLT for dinner. 

A perfectly reasonable dinner. Since you have a garden lettuce is surely in abundance. When it gets so hot the lettuce bolts or in winter when it is expensive and mediocre I use home-grown sprouts. Quite good.

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Possibly the best pizza I have eaten, without exaggeration.  A three minute pizza, nicely blackened.  However all was not beer and skittles.  A third of the pizza stuck to the peel.  And a third of the pizza stuck to the window of the oven door.  (Which I had just cleaned from the last attempt.)  There must be a way of keeping pizza off the oven door.

Worse, after scraping the remains from the steel (and good they were) the oven went into failure mode F2.  I had to throw the breaker.  Failure mode F2 indicates an oven temperature above 615F - 630F.  Suggestions welcome.

Sorry, no pictures.

Would some parchment paper under the pizza work for you?  We use the steel plate method in our oven and put the dough on parchment then dress the top and pop it in the oven.  If it gets really brown looking we just slip it out from underneath the pizza and let it keep cooking... no sticking at this point in the cook.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Would some parchment paper under the pizza work for you?  We use the steel plate method in our oven and put the dough on parchment then dress the top and pop it in the oven.  If it gets really brown looking we just slip it out from underneath the pizza and let it keep cooking... no sticking at this point in the cook.

Thanks.  When I was making pizza in the CSO I tried using parchment.  The parchment certainly helped get the pizza off the peel.  The problem was bits of paper in the pizza.  I gave up on the CSO for pizza because I couldn't get the steel hot enough.

Last night the oven was over "615F - 630F" and I don't know how well parchment would last at those temperatures.  Not to mention things happen really quick.

I ordered a peel with a longer handle.  Now I'm resting before tackling the inside of the oven.  What's for dinner tonight may depend on how well I do.  Fortunately other than on the oven door the burned pizza slop was contained by the foil lined sheet pan.

Maybe I should take everyone's advice and get a larger pizza steel.

F1EC295E-DDCC-48AA-8E79-BB3F84C5DC29.thumb.jpeg.7635648020653218a9a96614ec89ed97.jpeg

Soft scrambled “tamago” eggs loosely based on this

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night was a warm potato salad with baby potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, sweet or white onion and feta cheese and a bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar over top. A few cherry tomatoes from my container plants, the rest of the veggies from a local farm. I mix the warm potatoes and green beans in with the other ingredients, it's a nice simple summer salad. Could be dressed up a bit more. 

We had some local blueberries with vanilla ice cream for dessert. 

Composed salad and then lightly mixed with dressing. 

IMGP6598.thumb.JPG.de5012969f34aa10b86833b8ff227614.JPG

IMGP6602.thumb.JPG.6ebb5272797a974febe78bc88b175baa.JPG

• Like 14