• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

1 minute ago, Ann_T said:

@liuzhou, would love your pasta.   I prefer pork over beef or any  combination,  for pasta sauces.

Next time you are passing drop in!

Much as I like beef, I'm with you on most pasta pairings. Although, I have to say, a few years back, I did have one hare and pasta dish which was literally awesome.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2DDD7484-63A4-4690-90DE-22DD61305C14.thumb.jpeg.92085c3fc2067b80b157b26cb2e5ef3f.jpeg

First meal at home after five weeks away and a long drive back from Manitoulin Island.  Store bought rotisserie chicken with two sides – – steamed vegetables and roasted root vegetables. While I find it encouraging that one can get sides that are not macaroni salad, coleslaw or potato salad salad,? these vegetables were desperately in need of seasoning!  But I was hungry and these did the trick for tonight. 

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Pork tenderloin schnitzel on a snowflake roll with lettuce, tomato and mayo. Deb's favorite tomato and cuke salad on the side, with dill and garlic mayo, a bit of fried zucchini, this batch is served with a spicy ranch dressing.

HC

IMG_1690.thumb.JPG.7d345768645fdcf76f8f647818f2c035.JPG

IMG_1685.thumb.JPG.401266407878d24a20ffd4fd21046cc7.JPG

IMG_1686.thumb.JPG.4b1c179737ab13472da7a1fc57894c8f.JPG

IMG_1687.thumb.JPG.497441f4c7cd88a01819c7a4e1a07cec.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 16

8BC1F0AA-4237-4411-9B00-CE14F6B680EB.thumb.jpeg.35fc33886918f32ef4c215b71fcf8b4f.jpeg

Summer Chicken Salad based on a recipe from Japan: The Cookbook by Nancy Singleton Hachisu. (I failed to take a photo before beginning to toss it. It is plated as a sort of layered salad.) The egg-yolk based dressing needs work on my part. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/9/2018 at 6:27 AM, Ann_T said:

422882147_BlueberryPieAugust8th20181.thumb.jpg.85b0cc7779edb95a8786250b7ce65f6b.jpg

Blueberry Pie for dessert.

Mmmm! All your meals look lovely. And so does this pie! 

Do you pick your own blueberries or do you have a fave source for purchasing them?  They say there is a big blueberry glut in BC this year and I am finding the berries aren't as good as other years. Is it just me? I have bought some in the grocery stores (because the price has just been so good) from both the Lower Mainland and from the Island. The taste has been a bit insipid, I like my blueberries to have a bit of tartness. We do have some local growers here (mid-Island), I'll be buying some of theirs tomorrow and hope to be happier with those. But I wonder about your experience. 

On the subject of gumbo, I was watching Good Eats the other day..it was on gumbo.  Alton Brown puts his oven to 350 f and four oz by weight each flour and oil in a Dutch oven, for 60 to 90 minutes until the roux is brick red.  No stirring, no burning.  Looks easy and I think that is my method for next time.

• Like 3

Ginger Beef! Made on the Control Freak. 

This is is a recipe I’m trying to develop. Anyone from western Canada knows this dish well, as it was developed in Calgary. Unhappy with the recipes online, I decided to make my own with a few improvements on the original. 

Im trying to keep the beef crispy, and the sauce sticky (but not too sweet). To do this I borrowed then marinade and batter technique from Modernist Cuisine’s Korean wings. Vodka to lower the boiling point, wondra (robin hood instant flour), and potato starch. Beef was super crispy after frying but lost its crisp after being added to the sauce. Think I will reduce a bit more next time. 

FD341CAE-26AE-4192-B6CA-D91256DB8715.jpeg

Edited by CanadianHomeChef (log)
  • Like 11

Sizzle and Sear

Owner/Editor

https://www.sizzleandsear.com/

58 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

On the subject of gumbo, I was watching Good Eats the other day..it was on gumbo.  Alton Brown puts his oven to 350 f and four oz by weight each flour and oil in a Dutch oven, for 60 to 90 minutes until the roux is brick red.  No stirring, no burning.  Looks easy and I think that is my method for next time.

I make my oven roux in a cast iron skillet at 325F for about an hour. It is a dark brown.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

I make my oven roux in a cast iron skillet at 325F for about an hour. It is a dark brown.

The last few times I've done it, I did it in the microwave in a glass bowl... Start out at 30s at full power, then stir, then 10s / stir - repeat... done in about 5-10 minutes and a nice dark brown.

• Like 3

Rigatoni with Shrimp, Spinach, Chickpeas, and Tomatoes

As I mentioned in my intro thread, I just moved into my new apartment and this is the first real dish I've cooked here. The shrimp was sous-vided (135 F @42 min from frozen). That is another first for me, my first sous-vide attempt with the Joule that I bought recently. I'm pretty impressed. The texture was perfect and they tasted "extra-shrimpy" just like Kenji said they would.

IMG_4644.thumb.jpg.fffc222089ca94682645360c6eb8d727.jpg

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Ginger Beef! Made on the Control Freak. 

This is is a recipe I’m trying to develop. Anyone from western Canada knows this dish well, as it was developed in Calgary. Unhappy with the recipes online, I decided to make my own with a few improvements on the original. 

Im trying to keep the beef crispy, and the sauce sticky (but not too sweet). To do this I borrowed then marinade and batter technique from Modernist Cuisine’s Korean wings. Vodka to lower the boiling point, wondra (robin hood instant flour), and potato starch. Beef was super crispy after frying but lost its crisp after being added to the sauce. Think I will reduce a bit more next time. 

FD341CAE-26AE-4192-B6CA-D91256DB8715.jpeg

Ever Crisp

Stuff stays crispy till the end of time.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou