• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

On 7/29/2018 at 6:47 PM, mgaretz said:

The last of the red sauce over zoodles, made on the spiralizer attachment for the Kitchenaid Stand Mixer and my recently acquired angel hair blade.  Served with salad and fresh cherries for dessert.

spagz2.jpg.6aa4235f9556b5307ef8ed103bd1ba1c.jpg

Mark, this is your chunky red sauce, right?

Oh My, so many wonderful meals that I've been missing.   Been busy with our boards, and working and just lost track of when I posted last. 

A few of our meals this month.  Nothing to exciting except for Dungeness crab.  A friend has been crabbing in the Cowichan Bay area and has been sharing.  We have had Dungeness crab four times in the last couple of weeks.    

1917509896_DungenessCrabwithBlackBeanGingerGarlicSauceJuly10th2018.thumb.jpg.71193707014f452366acf499d1cf65bc.jpg

Once with black beans, garlic and ginger,

578152885_CrabJuly22nd2018.thumb.jpg.368601de1ed59f5fe66012fa7ad4e235.jpg

and three times just  garlic and lemon butter.    Each time Moe and I shared  four crabs on a shared platter.    No sides, just crab, crab and more crab.   

I hate to say it, but I think I am crabbed out. 

522649485_HotChickenSandwichJuly24th2018.thumb.jpg.383e9864d8a5600d11b8e654f2a0d2ba.jpg

One of my favourites, Hot chicken sandwiches with homemade fries.

1449078811_SpaghettiandClamsJuly4th2018.thumb.jpg.c2057dae1a632724f012117d073e4453.jpg

Spaghetti with clams. 

622512321_HalibutFishandChipsJuly2nd20181.thumb.jpg.9ba6193df972df41251850994198726a.jpg

And homemade Halibut Fish and Chips

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 29
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

Bacon cheeseburger salad. 🥓 🍔 🥗 

C858F341-3885-41A2-81C5-C3CBEDA89E9C.jpeg

Truly beautiful.  Do you eat it one hand or two?

What is on top of the burger and below the cheese?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, Ann_T said:

A few of our meals this month.  Nothing to exciting except for crab.  A friend has been crabbing in the Cowichan Bay area and has been sharing.  We have had crab four times in the last couple of weeks.    

Once with black beans, garlic and ginger, and three times just  garlic and lemon butter.    Each time Moe and I shared  four crabs on a shared platter.    No sides, just crab, crab and more crab.   

I hate to say it, but I think I am crabbed out. 

When I lived in Newfoundland as a teen, crabs were a nuisance for the gillnetters because they'd get tangled in the nets and create a scalloped effect at the bottom of the net, like a tablecloth. That gets expensive in a hurry, because it's a part of your net fish swim under instead of getting caught. The standard answer for this was to have one crewmember standing by the "Gertie" (a small Briggs & Stratton engine used to haul the head rope of the net) with an axe handle in his hand. When a crab came over the gunwales, he'd stop the Gertie for a moment, smash the crab, throw the bits overboard, then re-start the puller.

At that time (40 years ago) their actual catch was usually worth 12 to 15 cents/lb at the fish plant, so if you went up to ol' "Skipper Eli" or "H'uncle George" and offered him 10 cents/lb for all the crab he wanted to bring in, you'd get a WHOLE lot of crab. We'd eat ourselves comatose (my immediate family, plus aunts, uncles and cousins), then spend the next day picking and freezing the leftover crab.

Fast forward to my 20s, in Vancouver. A restaurant in Gastown called The Meat Market advertised a big crab promotion, all-you-can-eat Alaskan king crab (plus soup and salad bar) for what was even then the absurd price of $12.99/person. To me, that seemed like the perfect opportunity for a Newfoundland-sized "good scoff" of crab. I went with my girlfriend, and my best friend and his girlfriend, and between us we ate our way through seven platters of crab legs. Of that total, I was the only one still eating after the fourth (I could really pack it away, as a youngster).

As we left the restaurant my girlfriend (a Central American mestizo by blood, very exotic, but 100% Cockney by upbringing) was giving me an odd look. When I asked what she was thinking, she replied "I'd much rather clothe than feed you..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Vegan Mexican Meatloaf/ white bean Liqueur Polenta/ Salsa/pickled Jalapeno

Recipe from Nutritionicity.com-- with modifications (  I make all my own products no can beans )

I added the bean polenta made my own salsa

Held together well, I cut it out of loaf pan in 2" slices

Recipe: Nutritionicity.com

43736877862_c57a930fd2_b.jpg

29902414058_8f8dc571c7_c.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 6

Its good to have Morels

dinner2.thumb.jpg.cae8860f4d7bcf9031d14cb1bc62c80e.jpg 

Beef with mango. The beef was marinated with garlic, white chilli peppers, Shaoxing wine and Thai fish sauce. Stir-fried and then the diced mango added and heated through. Served with Chinese chive laden couscous and oyster mushrooms fried with garlic.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Thanks @Shelby.

@Kim Shook,  beautiful rich turkey gravy.

@chromedome, you made me think of a time  when we lived in Sault Ste Marie, back in the mid 90's.   We use to go over the border to Sault Ste Marie on the Michigan side.  One of the hotels offered all you could eat Crab legs on Sunday nights.

They would try to get you to take sides along with the crab, like salad and baked potatoes.   We never fell for that.  We would just pig out on platters of crab.  I don't know how they made any money on Sunday nights.  

Roast Pork Tenderloin, rubbed with garlic, fresh rosemary, salt and lots of black pepper.

Served with Orzo with Parmesan, and fresh green beans and baby turnips from the local farmers market.

Roast Pork Tenderloin July 31st, 2018.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

@Ann_T - thank you!  It cooks forever.  I start it out fairly thin and then let it LOW simmer for a few hours.  I have an enormous cast iron Dutch oven that my MIL gave me and if I’m making a lot of gravy, I use that.  It makes the best gravy I’ve ever tasted.

@Norm Matthews – My family and friends love those wings so much.

• Like 4

I was given a lovely big chunk of fresh sockeye salmon to work with tonight, but I am crap at filleting. My neighbour offered to help me hone my skills. I need to take him up on that offer, but this worked well enough. 

Cooked some and froze some. 

IMGP6499.thumb.JPG.ea448a512fd2cb501b9487440bffe692.JPG

Cooked this with an apricot glaze which really made me happy. Some low-sugar apricot jam I made a couple of weeks ago + soy sauce + minced garlic + ginger + hot sauce. Cooked in the steam-broil setting of the CSO and served with mixed rice and some local beans and some sesame seeds. 

IMGP6503.thumb.JPG.32db4ca6cc01b24534e0df1199547d5f.JPG

IMGP6501.JPG

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 1

My lasagna turned out very good (CI recipe).  Unfortunately it has given me indegestion for some reason.

The recipe specified sweet Italian sausage; I used mild Italian sausage.  Is there a difference? 

Edited by lindag (log)

12 minutes ago, lindag said:

The recipe specified sweet Italian sausage; I used mild Italian sausage.  Is there a difference? 

Not in my world. The terms are used interchangeably.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@indag

probably not.   mod times ' sweet ' indicates ' not hot '

I also have made the CI Rx , and have another one that is vey very good from the old Time-Life Foods of the World 

The Cooking of Italy

• Like 1