• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

Where do you get your head-on shrimp?  I have some that I get by mail from the Florida gulf coast, but I was looking for a supply a little more local.

All Asian stores have head-on shrimps. I got those from H Mart.

dcarch

• Like 2

I picked these up from a local supermarket last night for dinner. The were only labelled "chilled fresh fish' and the woman womanning the fish counter had no idea what they were.

The look like mackerel; they smell like mackerel; and they taste like mackerel, so I'm calling them mackerel. I only hesitate because they are very small - about 6 - 7 inches long. Baby mackerel.

mac2.jpg.2f7c93c02de3abdd6f94ebb721eee56b.jpg

Anyway, whatever they were, they are long gone. I gutted and decapitated them, generously salted and peppered and pan fried them. Served with a simple green salad and and tomatoes and basil, dressed with a lemon/olive oil vinaigrette. Dinner!

mac1.jpg.8cb676a6750e1814280aeb4b93856559.jpg

The eagle-eyed will have noticed a lack of carbs in this meal. Fret not, I've not adopted some weird diet. It was just extremely hot and I wanted something light. I will be restored to pure stodge consumption shortly!

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Whole Roasted Branzino from the CSO booklet (p20).  I have reason to believe coconspirators may posses this document:

Dinner07122018.png

Branzino much prettier whole but I have shown that previously.  Fries by the Kenji method.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Last night, a fast dinner after an all day meeting followed by a delayed train home...quick broth doctored up with spices with cooked noodles from the fridge, a bag of frozen mixed "stir fry" vegetables, lots of herbs and some quick seared sole.  10 minute dinner that was easy and satisfying after a trying day

2048781505_noodlebowl.thumb.jpg.7fd64c3ea847e1fb7347a040cfc705d8.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

@lindag  Although my gardening mantra is "Water is Not Love", my kitchen mantra is: Water Works Wonders" - in the case of too thick PB based sauce cold water is your friend as with tahini

• Thanks 1

@ElsieD,

I halved the recipe and did use all of the dressing...it was not too much, probably because the pasta absorbed much of it.

The salad was good but I'll use less of the PB next time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lindag said:

Last night's dinner was Ina Garten's Crunchy Noodle Salad.  A nice choice for a hot evening.

It was good except that I eye-balled the measurement of peanut butter and it was a little bit, well, heavy on the PB.

Other than that it was good even though the pasta stuck together.

Nice and light. Perfect for a hot evening.   But this is from someone who will burn my oven in the summer in Florida.  That's what's AC is for 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Nice and light. Perfect for a hot evening.   But this is from someone who will burn my oven in the summer in Florida.  That's what's AC is for 

Indeed, I have been known to use the hottest days for bread-making...what else is there to do?

God bless central air.

• Like 2

I know it’s Summer, but sometimes you just get a craving for Stew!

CBEED0D7-369D-4083-9A0F-1794DB4D92B4.thumb.jpeg.7a7d07e8b316743cb06ac1d491b77466.jpeg

Pork Tenderloin and Vegetable Stew made with Patak’s Vindaloo Hot & Spicy Simmer Sauce in my Instant Pot and served with Garlic Naan (heated from frozen in my CSO on Bake Steam for 6 minutes)

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 13

Steak night here. I bought these a few nights ago and had to make it happen tonight. I happened upon a package of baby bellas at Aldi and used @Anna N's escargot  without the pesky snails recipe. Deb and I are both big fans of escargot, especially those that include the pesky snails, but liked these as well.

HC

IMG_1336.thumb.JPG.f09ac50600b3cadda126f08a6352e0fc.JPGIMG_1338.thumb.JPG.5a773c3423ad529984979a277329a6c5.JPGIMG_1339.thumb.JPG.cd09ce353bb50b465d18c5ae9994aae9.JPG

• Like 14

2 hours ago, robirdstx said:

I know it’s Summer, but sometimes you just get a craving for Stew!

I've had a couple of those stew craving moments recently, but resisted. Perhaps  I should just let go.

Steak and kidney at 40ºC?  Yeah, why not!

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I've had a couple of those stew craving moments recently, but resisted. Perhaps  I should just let go.

Steak and kidney at 40ºC?  Yeah, why not!

I suffer from seasonal confusion. Quite often my husband will come home in Australian mid summer ( he works outside in conditions that would cook me alive ) to a steaming plate of casserole, stew, a hearty roast, soup ( bowl for that one ) and just looks at me in despair... 

Then he leaves it and eats it cold 🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 6