• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

20 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Love the idea....but....Cold buffalo wings!?

Oh. Is that what they are?   I couldn’t quite figure them out.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I received a basket of wood mushrooms from a friend. I have many traditional recepies but I wanted to try something else. This is the outcome; potatoe gnocchi, wood mushrooms, apricots, chicken jus, fried verbena 

IMG_1833.JPG

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

It gets pretty hot during day or even early morning it can be 25+ C.  So I do all my lunch and dinner prep while I am having my morning tea.  I first go to the garden to see what is ready for picking.  It is sooo nice to have everything ready especially in the evening.

Today we have chicken fried steak prepped in the fridge. ( Have never made this before.)Just as well because the recipe calls for marinating the meat.  The cauliflower is washed, broken into pieces and placed in the steamer and the peas are blanched and the snap peas are stringed and washed.  All ready when we come back from our Friday pub get together. 😃😃

• Like 4

No photograph but after my overindulgence at lunch, three slices of dry toast and many glasses of water. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner was at a place we are staying in on the Irish Loop around the Avalon Penninsula of Newfoundland.  John's dental problems have pretty much resolved.  He ordered a lobster dinner and ate most of it.  Funny that he has always said to me that the tail is the best part as that was what his mom told him.  I BEG TO DISAGREE.   The claw and knuckle are the sweetest and most succulent.  The chef here did something different with fish cakes - fresh steamed cod, rough mash, chives and something else I'm forgetting.  Served with a light lemon dill sauce and a lemon aioli.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

11 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Dinner was at a place we are staying in on the Irish Loop around the Avalon Penninsula of Newfoundland.  John's dental problems have pretty much resolved.  He ordered a lobster dinner and ate most of it.  Funny that he has always said to me that the tail is the best part as that was what his mom told him.  I BEG TO DISAGREE.   The claw and knuckle are the sweetest and most succulent.  The chef here did something different with fish cakes - fresh steamed cod, rough mash, chives and something else I'm forgetting.  Served with a light lemon dill sauce and a lemon aioli.

I totally agree with you on lobster. When we have one (ie, whenever my GF has the urge) I'll eat a claw, and she has the rest. Our granddaughter loves gnawing the meat out of the little legs, so those usually go her way.

I moved back East around the time lobster was at historic lows, a decade or so ago, and still have trouble with the notion of splurging more than $5/lb for it.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Fusilli with a pork ragu made using a fresh tomato sauce with onion and chilli. Finished with basil and Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Wow.  Nice that you had access to some good cheese.  

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Wow.  Nice that you had access to some good cheese.  

Yeah. A dear friend just returned from  a business trip to Italy and brought some back for me. One of the few locals who know what a good cheese is.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The idea was to fry this chicken yesterday before it got too hot.  Well, life got in the way.  Plus I needed a nap.  So, I fried the chicken at the hottest time of the day.  Oh well lol.  The best part was green beans and taters (from the garden--the taters, not the beans) with a Benson's ham hock done in the IP.

IMG_4830.jpg.d6804de442630881d5feb4b11281aab7.jpg

IMG_4831.JPG.89f5fcfd48e8f714c5fb30bcf2868aaf.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

This should actually be placed in the not yet existing thread "Things I eat long after dinner and some drinks" ...

"Dan Dan Bucatini" with bits of minced meat, sichuan pickles, sichuan pepper and oil. Topped with SV pork belly and my "ma la" rub comprised of more Sichuan pepper, chili and a little cumin. Some cilantro was added right after the picure. G&T to counteract the spiciness...

WP_20180630_22_43_05_Pro.jpg

• Like 12

Green (and yellow) beans in matbucha style tomato sauce, with a drizzle of tahni.

Tunisian lentil salad with tomatoes, pickled lemon and parsley.

Bulgur and pickles.

IMG_20180608_150035_1.thumb.jpg.06c8faf2dee8cb48c01f3bfb89161b18.jpgIMG_20180608_150028.thumb.jpg.ec59a50bd26ada478464b36dee479109.jpg

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

FB6C4F7A-762D-460E-8A7A-A1A5383A600B.thumb.jpeg.65a4f264ffd52d0405d84a0b72977c31.jpeg

Torikatsu (breaded chicken) with home made “tonkatsu” sauce (nothing more than  ketchup and Worcestershire).  

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm calling this Dream Chicken. The reason being that last night, in a dream, I was asked to give a good marinade and baste, for a nice rotisserie chicken. I came up with this recipe, without knowing where it came from, but woke up knowing I was going to give it a try. This one was a winner! Up until now, Deb's favorite rotisserie chicken has been my Korean BBQ, but that changed tonight. Go figure! I had fresh picked sugar snaps and grilled corn on the cob with it.

HC

IMG_1165.thumb.JPG.e84bc16d5ebda33cd7cecd79994da3a1.JPGIMG_1170.thumb.JPG.9fe874e5035f15abe2f261b3dcd50bab.JPGIMG_1167.thumb.JPG.5ca82d3c27efe060da04773faccc8c47.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 16

Well? Details, pls!

In the realm of childhood favorites that didn't age well...i ran across one of the Chef BoyArDee pizza-in-a-box kits at the grocery. I used to beg for those as a kid, when there was no such thing as a pizza parlor in town. Bought one for old times sake.

Horrible. I suspect two pieces hit my sodium allocation for the next two months. Crust was ok. Cheese was the green-can variety. I added some mozzarella and a few pepperoni.

Kit had makings for two. I'll keep the crust, but the sauce and cheese are gone.

Edited by kayb
to fix typos. (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 hours ago, kayb said:

Well? Details, pls!

1/2 cup Ken's Italian dressing, 1 entire head of garlic, peeled and chopped, 1 heaping TBS smoked paprika, the zest and juice of one large lemon, 1 heaping TSP kosher salt, 1 heaping TSP freshly ground black pepper, 5 TBS Crystal Hot Sauce. Zip this all up with an immersion blender, then add three chopped green onions and mix well.

Tightly truss the chicken and put it butt side up, in a sealable plastic bag. Pour the mixture into the bag, making sure you fill the body cavity with this marinade. I did this first thing, when I got home with the bird from Aldi. Turn the bag on a regular basis, to ensure complete marination. On my gas grill,  I locate the bird in the middle, on the rotisserie and fire up all three flames. Once it gets up to 400 F, I turn off the middle burner and adjust the flames to maintain 375 F. This bird was just about five pounds, and took just short of 2 1/2 hours, and was basted with the marinade every 20 minutes.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7

I don't know what I may have done to deserve two perfect avocadoes in a row.*  Served with a can of Progresso New England clam chowder and the last husk of this week's bread.

*I suspect it may have to do with birds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner for our new neighbors.

017.thumb.jpg.9d727058ce270d6ae1416ad054255b8c.jpg

Pulled pork (sous vide 24h 160F)

006.thumb.jpg.84d2aeb413c67139bfeaae6149e3e8c4.jpg

Sauce for pork

014.thumb.jpg.6d0b9001e249047c2ea438b40cac0fd0.jpg

Cole slaw

008.thumb.jpg.4822b97242b80a4d7b13794354e736ba.jpg

SV Corn (180, 30 minutes, cooked in butter). Really sweet

013.thumb.jpg.7dfe892a32a7bf434ad98fa38d645ec8.jpg

Charred sweet potato salad (sweet potato, yukon gold, onion)

018.thumb.jpg.0095927aa55c6ec29641c6378508badc.jpg

Strawberry shortcakes (pre strawberry)

016.thumb.jpg.1ef0891c2bed90c48a6da7e1a2f76866.jpg

Henry

021.thumb.jpg.8e7c3044d23056e1aaa9129af3fe3063.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 15
  • Haha 2