• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

While I wait for @liamsaunt's pizza to arrive, I made this.

fc1.thumb.jpg.1027221f3fa39f6bad3ae3df81ddb295.jpg

Chicken legs, skinned* and covered in flour, salt, pepper, chilli powder and turmeric. Deep fried.

Triple cooked chips.

Flower shiitake mushrooms drizzled with OO and finely chopped garlic. Sprinkled with sea salt. Asparagus ditto. Mushrooms and asparagus nuked together for about 1½ minutes.

Eaten.

fc3.jpg.cf6c87efbc477391e180fe22b46d85f2.jpg

* Fret not. The skin is in the fridge to be re-purposed with breakfast tomorrow.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

50 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

While I wait for @liamsaunt's pizza to arrive, I made this.

I’ll book the flight if you will promise me a plate of your chicken and chips with all its accompaniments.  I won’t even ask to share your pizza.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@dcarch

how did you render the sausage fat?   do you just crisp up thin slices of CS and then use that fat ?

Im a big fan of Chinese sausage , at the the common ones I can get at the large chinese supermarkets in my area

a little bit sweet.

CS.jpg.7541a4743a91d7c089779033cd2b9c7b.jpg

Cabbage soup, made in the Instant Pot.  I have always made this in the slow cooker, but it came out great in the IP.  It was my second cook in the IP, the first being custard I made earlier in the day, which we had for dessert.  

cabbage-soup-ip.jpg.430c6e4764f7f14dcdd319542b624669.jpg

• Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@dcarch

how did you render the sausage fat?   do you just crisp up thin slices of CS and then use that fat ?

Im a big fan of Chinese sausage , at the the common ones I can get at the large chinese supermarkets in my area

a little bit sweet.

The sausages were paper-thin sliced, simmered in a skillet with a 1/2 cup  of water. When the  1/2 cup of water was boiled down to 1/4 cup, a lot of the fat was rendered and the nice flavor of the sausage was in the  water, which was used to braise the fish. a few teaspoons of fish sauce was added to balance the sweetness of the sausage. Ginger, garlic were added.

dcarch

• Like 3
  • Delicious 4

03D7B1FA-82B4-40EB-9B2B-3D9C60DB2B39.thumb.jpeg.75612a28c5d35caad45ae74da05679d1.jpeg

Grilled sirloin, grilled onion and tomato and sugar snap salad.  

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Was not really sure what name to put to this soup. I pulled some containers of corned beef broth with cabbage from the freezer and just started adding to it. Carrots, celery, mushrooms and green onions were chopped and added. Rice vinegar, soy sauce and Louisiana Hot Sauce were added next. A couple of teaspoons of ginger paste was stirred in. Fresh ground Black Pepper, ground white pepper and Granulated Garlic were added to the mix. Finally, frozen pork potstickers were added to the simmering soup.

CB930067-0CBB-4B7D-AA59-74013099852B.thumb.jpeg.9b83aeab62310418c231310117cb59ef.jpeg

Final Name Choice: Potsticker Hot and Sour Soup with Vegetables

• Like 19
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KCWilkinson said:

My bread turned out fantastic so I think my life is gonna be nothing but sandwiches now.

Curried zuch, shrooms, radish, tomato, avocado, chevre and bacon

IMG_20180618_193034_476.jpg

Dagwood Bumstead comes to mind.

• Haha 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Beef & Veg Pie...One for us, and one for a neighbor who mows our common stretch of lawn...a bachelor who works outside all day. The pie was just in time for his supper!
Salad with diced apple, cuke, iceberg lettuce, mushrooms and tomatoes seasoned with raspberry dressing.

1905083372_BeefVegpie5254.jpg.f21721aebc9be050d748d77b3d0558fa.jpg

• Like 16

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Some years ago, we had a memorable lunch at a place called Cuzzin's in St. Thomas. It was simple fare, consisting of jerk chicken and potato salad. Over the years, I have strived to replicate that lunch, and my first few attempts were almost laughable. I have sharpened my potato salad skills to the point of pride in that time, but the jerk chicken remained an issue. I am always trying to come up with new uses for trimmed chicken leg quarters because they are so abundant, inexpensive and readily available. I did my research and have come to realize that it takes a few days to make it happen properly, as the chicken needs to languish in the jerk paste for 12 hours or more. Scotch bonnet peppers are not something we can get around here, but habaneros seem to be an acceptable substitute. I was reluctant to use the 6 called for in the recipe I used, but did so anyway. I watched Deb's first reaction intently, and was pleased to see her go back for more, after an initial gasp. I don't think I have used ground allspice ever before, but used it both in the jerk paste as well as the water soaked hickory chips thrown on the fire as the chicken cooked. It is something I will buy with renewed enthusiasm in the future. The end result was a revisit to the past, and a good one! This one will go in the books as a winner.

Grilled corn on the cob and fresh picked sugar snaps made this meal one to remember.

HC

IMG_1049.thumb.JPG.236f8d5a3ea023ee89b7683fec9fc9c2.JPG

IMG_1050.thumb.JPG.fcfdbc3673b5aa09045d40156d559e41.JPGIMG_1047.thumb.JPG.d3c137df161f9130806331b9ad6549c5.JPG

• Like 20