• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Polenta with some of the leftover meat sauce from Bugialli's lasagne forno.

Dinner06162018.png

I know polenta is cooked in a copper pot but it turns out rather green.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

118FB6CD-2BCA-4D25-B71B-A1C1718AE0C2.thumb.jpeg.922c3989721cd47bef7f4da7fc847ed7.jpeg

Chicken and leek in a miso and honey sauce. In the small glass bowl is the last of my Asian pear pickle.

• Like 18

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Stir-fried chicken and black fermented beans, with "flower" shiitake and asparagus. Rice.

Just finished up some flower shiitake mushrooms found in an Asian store by a friend. Much meatier than the ones we normally get in the supermarket. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Just want to say - sorry for being the weirdo that has liked everyones standard Tuesday night dinner from three weeks ago, I'm not being a stalker, just catching up. Wish I hadn't. 

You guys are so amazing. There is not one post that hasn't made me go 'Jeez I wish I had that right now' (okay maybe some of the ones with liver or tomato but still there was a tomato tainted Turkey sandwich I would  destroy). 

Any way long story short. Keep doing what you are all doing it's inspiring... or at the very least hunger inducing - and if anyone wants to invite me round for dinner I'll be there in 5. 

What 5 amounts to depends on location xD

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Duvel said:

Actually, depending on your species of fiddleheads, the toxin should be known. Most common is Ptaquiloside, which is not only shows acute toxicity but is also a strong carcinogen. During my academic years I tried to synthesize the aglycon via a new reaction sequence I was developing. Never worked out, but left me with a curiosity how great fiddleheads must actually taste so that I would overcome my prejudice to try them. Until today that curiosity remains ...

Western fiddleheads and eastern fiddleheads are from different ferns, and the west-coast version is apparently rather rougher on the digestion. The ones we get here are perfectly safe, as long as you're not an unreasoning devotee of vegetables cooked "tender-crisp." Just cook 'em all the way, and you're good to go. Comparisons to fugu are pretty over-the-top.

Reflect that cassava is downright lethal in its raw state, but when properly handled is one of the world's major staples. Fiddleheads are nowhere close to playing in that league, as toxicity goes. 

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My husband and I got very sick from fiddleheads some years ago.  I suspect I prepared them incorrectly.  Now when they are available in local markets there's always a sign next to them saying to boil for ten minutes and then drain, rinse, and saute them for another period of time.  I have not been brave enough to try them again.  They do taste very good.

The other night, veggie burgers and oven fries

burgers.thumb.jpg.f57c2d52b17862a15a4b2ce6b568a4f0.jpg

Last night, tacos

tacos.thumb.jpg.ca7ebedfbf162e86a91e46c8ad7aa14c.jpg

• Like 18

Some recent meals

Kung Pao shrimp

016.thumb.jpg.b107eb283ab681a6cec873d7ae3d03e7.jpg

Pork tenderloin with candied bacon,  coffee/chili sauce and mashed potatoes

026.thumb.jpg.cdf7dd72034c87a312d87c99a3612f0e.jpg

Garlic/ginger/honey wings and potato salad

010.thumb.jpg.100643b59ab28270cb1be679e9b40b06.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 2

@gfweb

excellent stuff.

Id show up in an instant !

except I have a tiny bit of concern  re: the first pic :

at the 6 O'clock position , on the botton

that Green Nugget can't possible be a GreenBell ?

I accept a Lie or a FakePic comment

just to say.

• Haha 1

@gfweb

thank you for your kind offer

it seems  there is potential for very tasty items

sur la plate

how ever 

should not the GBP have been swept aside

quite some time ago, a  long  time ago ?

see ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Back in food hell after a week in the Moldovan capital.

A few dinners since then.

Skate.

MDVmnxb.jpg

y1tgAdo.jpg

Linguine with anchovies, capers, garlic, parsley etc.

Pdw2Pvr.jpg

SV duck legs.

pPboFYv.jpg

My new favourite kimchi.

qS7hQeR.jpg

Austria meets France meets Korea.

i7JVLDw.jpg

• Like 18

BAB2F722-45A7-4341-87FB-9972F585F2E5.thumb.jpeg.de866965eb08c7c7ad17aeb6e91a04dd.jpeg

Rice topped with the last of the chicken and leeks, sugar snap peas and carrots scallions.

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Just want to say - sorry for being the weirdo that has liked everyones standard Tuesday night dinner from three weeks ago, I'm not being a stalker, just catching up. 

I don't think you need to worry about an apology for that. At least, if you do, then I owe a whole lot of people a whole lot of apologies. This particular topic is like  a bullet train. You turn away from the computer long enough to take a drink of your beer and when you turn back, it's moved forward 3 or 4 pages. Add in me forgetting to check in on it for a couple days and I have to play catch-up all the time. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Deb took her grandson down the street to the town beach today. He was full of himself and just not cooperative, as much as he does love swimming there. I had a feeling that she would need a bit of special treatment to bring her around to being the person I love living with. I have learned that lobster is the best way to get there. The fathers day special solved that problem and I was at the ready to make that happen. She spent most of the dinner making the "when Harry met Sally" noises, which let me know I had done the right thing.

HC

IMG_1039.thumb.JPG.79bf74702907995c6add6bf324ad08cd.JPGIMG_1040.thumb.JPG.2a6ade6a8798fc959b7924e6f941504f.JPGIMG_1042.thumb.JPG.1b74e414512c8f319693f70ccbde6c02.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

Anniversary dinner for one,  my wife is 3 states away....  Pork Chop and Potatoes.

porkandpot.thumb.jpg.4fffac55a2fff75cac6ced82735a0eec.jpg

It's some fancy bread pork, cuz it's GOOD.  I cooked to 140F via sous vide, potatoes were steamed in steam oven and then mixed with some cream.  Not pictures, 2012 syrah :)

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 13

7 hours ago, BonVivant said:

SV duck legs.

My new favourite kimchi.

qS7hQeR.jpg

Oh my..My...MY! Amazing duck legs...and rhubarb kimichi! This might be kimchi that I'd really enjoy...

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Pre- Father's Day dinner here for hubby...before the kids swoop in tomorrow!

Pulled out a package of AAA Angus rib steaks from the back of the beef basket (still could do a "Cook Your Way Thru' the Freezer)...seasoned with Montreal Steak Spice and thrown on the BBQ. Sauteed mushrooms and a salad made the meal just fine...

1516187760_SteakMushrooms5243.jpg.9c058b9bbfdd11b8cc410404d165ef9f.jpg

• Like 14

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

Just finished up some flower shiitake mushrooms found in an Asian store by a friend. Much meatier than the ones we normally get in the supermarket. 

Was just wondering. Were the shiitake your friend found fresh or dried. I like both, but they are different. The fresh are even more meaty.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto