• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Didn't feel at all like Chinese, tonight.

porkmash1.thumb.jpg.5ebd5d175bf8037965a9ec021a8eb2ef.jpg

Pork medallions simply fried in OO with salt and lots of black pepper.  Potato, carrot, garlic mash (rough - sometimes I like lumps). Nuked asparagus (first dressed in OO and sea salt).

porkmash2.jpg.6a8b65439fe075ae990f005728381c1a.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It was 105°F here yesterday, so no cooking dinner for me. I ordered out some fish and chips from a local bowling alley's coffee shop (they're known for their fish and chips). It also came with some nice cole slaw, a dinner roll (a sort of potato roll) and the tartar sauce was pickle-less but still quite tasty. 

I am sorry I have no pictures. I also didn't have any malt vinegar for the fish which dampened my enjoyment of eating this meal I didn't cook. :( xD

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

9B547BFD-6920-44E9-B7CC-278D020B0869.thumb.jpeg.d1cd1843cf3aa7db949ac1f7390180f5.jpeg

Pork soboro (protein condiment seems to be the most appropriate explanation) with zucchini and onions. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I found a Food Saver in the freezer marked Korean Pork. It was a batch I mixed up last year and froze some of it. I didn't remember if it was cooked or not so I put the thawed package in water with the Anova for about an hour then finished it in a skillet.   We had it with kimchi, rice and laver.

20180614_165244.jpg

• Like 11

Severe storm warnings started in the afternoon. West of us, power was going off and hail the size of tennis balls were playing havoc. Storm chasers posting about development of tornadoes...
Had chicken in marinade and cooked up Filipino Chicken Adobo for supper right quick!  Cooked up some Coconut cardamom rice and enjoyed supper while the thunder roared and the rain poured. Luckily, the worst of the storm system by-passed our city.
Have never made Chicken Adobo nor eaten it,  so I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to taste like. It was good...almost like Chinese soy sauce chicken with the added tang of the vinegar and a bit of afterburn from the black pepper and chili pepper flakes. Salad seemed unconventional but complemented the rest of the meal.

5b2343a8dc95d_FilipinoChickenAdobo5229.jpg.32d71bad1e994b78a9268c692ee46233.jpg

• Like 17

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Stop & Shop Natural casing, pork and beef franks with cheese and onion, sauerkraut and onion and ball park mustard, and salads. Deb adds ketchup to hers, but I can't bring myself to photograph it. It's just wrong!

HC

IMG_1009.thumb.JPG.5d7b6b3321f932788062ba2849a2b3ac.JPGIMG_1010.thumb.JPG.ed67271f666a1526799bc5a38cf923c9.JPGIMG_1011.thumb.JPG.b8f9052ee52fc14036be9e7f893e47fd.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

Baked potato, chicken thighs, and fiddleheads.

Yes, fiddleheads.  Some say the fiddlehead sickens her devotees by bacterial contamination.  Others blame as an yet unidentified fiddlehead toxin.  If you never hear from me again you know what got me.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

So I have not posted much lately. I just cannot find the inspiration to cook for one that other members possess. I am so jealous. 

I've had grilled cheese three nights in a row! 

Mainly to use up leftovers, the cheese my husband left behind before he went back to work, and the bread leftover from small dudes lunches. 

It's like I am 15 again. With a lot more wrinkles. 

20180615_224458.thumb.jpg.ef3bb6827e6ec47569ab24cb6c40046f.jpg

Jarlsberg, 3 year old cheddar and the most bland rubbish mozzarella you ever did taste. 

• Like 17
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ninagluck said:

issues around kept me away from posting and cooking elaborate food let's look forward! stuffed turnips

IMG_1690.JPG

Been wondering where you were!  Glad you're back :)

What are the turnips stuffed with?  I love mashed turnips--I should get more creative.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes, fiddleheads.  Some say the fiddlehead sickens her devotees by bacterial contamination.  Others blame as an yet unidentified fiddlehead toxin.  If you never hear from me again you know what got me.

I've eaten a whole lot of fiddleheads foraged by my late wife and her sister over the last 20 years. We'd eat them often when in season plus there were always numerous bags of them in the freezer for later consumption... no damage to report so far. I didn't make it out to grab some this year so I suppose we can see if I'm in better health going forward and just didn't know they were damaging me all along. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Actually, depending on your species of fiddleheads, the toxin should be known. Most common is Ptaquiloside, which is not only shows acute toxicity but is also a strong carcinogen. During my academic years I tried to synthesize the aglycon via a new reaction sequence I was developing. Never worked out, but left me with a curiosity how great fiddleheads must actually taste so that I would overcome my prejudice to try them. Until today that curiosity remains ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Actually, depending on your species of fiddleheads, the toxin should be known. Most common is Ptaquiloside, which is not only shows acute toxicity but is also a strong carcinogen. During my academic years I tried to synthesize the aglycon via a new reaction sequence I was developing. Never worked out, but left me with a curiosity how great fiddleheads must actually taste so that I would overcome my prejudice to try them. Until today that curiosity remains ...

Thanks...how are you with fugu sashimi?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It's pretty rare for me to eat meat these days.  But when you are really hankering for a side of cow, ain't no cauliflower steak or grilled Portobello cap (but guys I swear they taste like the real thing!! Not.) Is gonna cut it.

Simple roasted veg, simple baked potato, seared strip w/ creamy mushroom sauce and a Central Coast Cab.

20180615_201144.jpg

20180615_201229.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

-K

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks...how are you with fugu sashimi?

Done ;)

Part of a seafood banquet in Japan, me and my wife shared the last piece on the plate, after none of the colleagues showed any signs of impairment after consumption (other than alcohol related). Underwhelming ...

• Like 1