• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

I did not make it to the Workshop although I like to think I made a contribution from a distance (eating lunch at wineries while delivering supplies to the College is a tough job) but I did get more than an adequate share of leftovers of their Saturday dinner.  If it was as good on Saturday as it was tonight when I reheated it, then everyone ate well.  

B4CE7E2B-6CCD-4BA0-86EB-47ABA1B0F907.thumb.jpeg.d58db33539faf46c474d88af3afb4eac.jpeg

The gravy slid off the potatoes but it is visible beneath them. The roast vegetables (I snacked on these much of the afternoon and even cold they were delicious).  The yorkie would have crisped up nicely if I had kept it out of the gravy.   The part that was not submerged was delightfully crisp.  I reheated everything in the  Cuisinart Steam Oven at 300°F for 15 minutes adding the sliced roast beef for an additional two minutes just to take the chill off. 

Many thanks to @Kerry Beal, Chef Dave and the workshop participants who didn’t eat everything on Saturday night. 

Only one thing could’ve made it better and that would have been an opportunity to share it with @Chocolot.  

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I knew this morning. When I woke up I knew exactly what I wanted for dinner. 12 hours later.

burger1.thumb.jpg.727eb8a4d2909fa213cf327c32185659.jpg

Spicy porkburger with chips. Due to adverse lighting issues, you can't see the burger. I could have corrected that, but I was hungry and I hate cold chips! But I did whip off his overhanging cap for a second, to let you see the inside. A second burger was consumed for dessert.

burger2.thumb.jpg.373f25b2ea3b1b21763b235d0fe0bc3e.jpg

There were hidden tomato slices between the lettuce and the burger The blackest spots are chilli pepper flakes, not carbonised pork.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Charlie and I went to Costco last week and because the weather had been so nice I got a brisket for the smoker and Charlie washed his car.  It was cold and rainy for the next 5 days but today was perfect for running the smoker. I cut the point off the brisket and just smoked that part.  The flat is in the freezer until another time.  The brisket took 10 hours to reach 200 degrees, and came out wonderful.  The only thing I am not completely happy with is I could not tell where the grain ran after it came out and I sliced it with the grain instead of against it.  Except for the corn, all the other sides were store bought.  The corn was cooked on the grill before being cut off the cob and reheated at serving time with salt, pepper, honey, butter and a little evaporated milk.  The carrots were pickled with dill. 

20180522_084509.jpg

20180522_123631.jpg

20180522_184839.jpg

20180522_185437.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 14

Got home late so dinner was simple and involved leftovers.   A leftover raw chopped vegetable salad with a few ounces of left over grilled salmon flaked in.  Dinner for two.  It was really quite good.  

• Like 7

We had a craving for shrimp, so off we went to Floyd’s!

E515AA7D-2753-47D6-B98E-A7984BBE7356.thumb.jpeg.b80cedf9aae942c444e9c0d4755c4d54.jpeg

Uncle Bub’s Shrimp Platter ~ 4 Fried Shrimp, 4 Grilled Shrimp, 4 Shrimp En Brochette, 2 Stuffed Shrimp & our choice of side ~ Onion Rings. And because we didn’t think we had enough shrimp, we ordered 6 Blackened Shrimp with Potatoes Floyd!

B15605EF-00A4-47A8-846F-E9D5DBCE8A49.thumb.jpeg.359a290fa556ebaf870a523cdb600b03.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 13

Linner?  Dunch?

After a meeting we went to a local restaurant that we had never tried before.  It is called Stone Water after the local Lenape name for the lake it is on.

So many things and I was soooooo hungry...…. John asked the server, Jordan, to bring my appetizer...…..sautéed shishito peppers with a lemon aioli.   Also ordered a serving of truffle parmesan fries that were so crispy on the outside and fluffy inside.   John ordered a salmon ceviche and an order of shrimp with tomato and garlic with toasted ciabatta.   Skip the toasting on the bread for John.  He also ordered some sort of a session beer...…….

We will be back

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Linguini with white clam sauce. These were clams I dug just a few days ago. The $20, 1 year license is one of the best bargains going in my book and I get out there every chance I get. We will probably have linguica stuffed clams tomorrow and I think Deb likes them more than I do, which is hard to believe. This sauce is a mixture of diced, peeled garlic (at least a whole head), fresh chopped parsley, cilantro and basil. Simmer the garlic in about a half cup of decent olive oil, (do not brown). Add about a cup of dry white wine, about a half cup each, of chopped parsley, chopped cilantro and a TBS of dried basil. Simmer this mixture for a few minutes, then blend with an immersion blender until well blended and reduce the volume to half at a slow simmer.

To this mixture, add about a half cup of chopped, raw clams and turn up the heat of the pasta water. When the pasta water is at a rolling boil and the clam sauce is at a simmer, add about twenty tiny whole clams to the simmering clam sauce and enough linguini fini to the boiling pasta water for two people, plus enough for a lunch. The clams should be open about the same time the pasta is done. After that, just follow your instincts.

HC

IMG_0698.thumb.JPG.c0c53d6b1ea9ba2c7e77aba6e02c9118.JPGIMG_0699.thumb.JPG.f25e228c8a5f8ee99aaf22bec86c1f83.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 12

C5209FCE-4A32-4517-AA90-12307A722162.thumb.jpeg.1bc8224118938a8c4083d21c02ca7321.jpeg

Chicken karaage and cucumber pickle over rice. 

• Like 15

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I had a craving for beef stew last night.

5b0575bfea483_BeefStewMay22nd20181.thumb.jpg.40c80645af6496e95347bd85fac8309b.jpg

Cooked in stages in the Breville PC.

5b0575e6a75fc_TurkeyBurgerswithbasilMay21st2018.thumb.jpg.33fdeeba4b9e511297831c6a458eff19.jpg

I had some ground turkey breast to do something with so Monday night I made

Turkey burgers seasoned with fresh basil, garlic, green onion, a couple of tablespoons of Hellmans, salt and pepper.

The idea came from Food and Wine.

• Like 9

C622BE94-8A5E-4535-8FA8-DBA0871F9045.thumb.jpeg.c61a8c645accba4cd55f03410f5e0ea7.jpeg

Simplicity. Reheated leftover roasted vegetables and leftover roasted potatoes sliced and browned. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, Anna N said:

C622BE94-8A5E-4535-8FA8-DBA0871F9045.thumb.jpeg.c61a8c645accba4cd55f03410f5e0ea7.jpeg

Simplicity. Reheated leftover roasted vegetables and leftover roasted potatoes sliced and browned. 

Do I recognize those? If I do, I hope they were as wonderful as they were the first time around.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

Do I recognize those? If I do, I hope they were as wonderful as they were the first time around.

Yes you recognize them. They were extremely good.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog