• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

53 minutes ago, kayb said:

I wish I could deal with medium-rare pork. I can't. I was too conditioned to "you'll get trichinosis!" as a child. I know that's not really an issue. Still can't get past it.

I know your pain, but I have made it past it. So good!

https://foodchannel.com/2011/pork-little-bit-pink-perfectly-fine

• Like 1

duck1.thumb.jpg.ada8a0d3cc40bd9ccf38b9e12fdfaf25.jpg

This afternoon, I bought some super fresh Sichuan peppercorns from  my local store. They sell these in bags of as little as 2 or 3 grams  to ensure freshness. I also picked up a duck leg. Duck is the cheapest animal protein here and, in my opinion, the tastiest. De-boned said leg and marinated the meat in Shaoxing wine, garlic, ginger, chilli and just a few of the peppercorns, which I lightly toasted, then crushed. Stir fried that, made a simple salad and served it with couscous because I was that's what I fancied..

The citrus flavoured, numbing sensation of the peppercorns rendered me speechless (literally - my mouth wouldn't work) and went so well with the duck.

duck2.thumb.jpg.366abb1b303483fdc3d9c881837a9e4d.jpg

I'll be doing that again.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I remember the first time I had green Sichuan peppercorns in a sauce for steamed river fish in a Yunnan restaurant in Beijing. I can still vividly recall what it did yo my tastebuds - truly envy you for being able to have that experience at your fingertips !

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TicTac said:

Ann_T - great result.  I recently purchased a Pizza Steel (http://modernistcuisine.com/shop/baking-steel/).

Haven't had an opportunity to try it outdoors yet, but the indoor results (gas oven) have been good - but not as good as what you posted.  I am wondering if convection might be a good idea next time..I have also yet to try putting it flat on the bottom of the oven....

@TicTac, rather than putting your pizza steel on the bottom, you might try Forkish's method and put the steel on the top rack.   

5afaf69d42ae0_PizzaSausageandOliveJanuary9th2014.thumb.jpg.973945f3ca735bb09d48ec85652e0ff5.jpg

Especially if you want to get that charred blistered crust.  

I don't bake pizza in the oven very often, but when I do this is the method that I follow.   I did a blog post the first time I used this method.

• Like 9

We had another porterhouse steak from our Grass Fed Farm.  Again, the tenderloin half was indeed almost half of it.  This steak was disappointing because it had some mean streaks of gristle running through it.  Oh well, the other one was spectacular.

Last night was pizza "Middle East" style.  We were watching Top Chef Canada and they had a pizza challenge.  Chefs drew countries as a theme for their pizzas.  It was one of the better challenges of the year.  I used a Turkish cookbook for inspiration.  The topping is ground lamb mixed with red pepper paste, tomatoes, onion, loads of garlic and chili flakes.  I had to put cheese on the pizza and chose mozza.  A few red onions on top.  I was quite tasty but the crust was disappointing.  I think I made it too thin.  I have some leftover ingredients in the fridge so will try again for lunch.

DSC02418.thumb.jpg.9a8b5ddfea425ecc005f6f08257edf81.jpgDSC02419.thumb.jpg.52d81049dcc35408fae9a3d9ffce00e8.jpgDSC02420.thumb.jpg.2110a19bdd0c390c1edb3c383db6e3c8.jpg

• Like 12

Further to using a steel plate for pizza making.  That's what I do now.  The bottom of my pizza was very crisp and as brown as the crust on top.

I preheat the steel on the middle shelf at the highest oven setting....about 45 minutes.  Five minutes before putting the pizza in I change the oven to broil for 5 minutes.  Then in goes the pizza and the oven is changed to bake as hot as it goes and the pizza is baked for 5 minutes.  The oven is changed to broil again for a further 2 to 3 minutes of broiling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So......from beef stew weather over the weekend to almost 90 degrees today.  I HATE cooking when it is too warm.

Potato salad, coleslaw, macaroni salad and bison burgers for dinner.

Making cold noodles with shrimp for John for tomorrow.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

43 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

So......from beef stew weather over the weekend to almost 90 degrees today.  I HATE cooking when it is too warm....

You're preaching to the choir.

It sounds like heresy to some, but as I've posted before, when it gets hot here where I live, my oven or my stovetop does not get turned on.

I use the microwave and that's it. It sometimes calls for a lot of creativity to figure what I can do with just a microwave for my meals but I accept that challenge. Anything is better than heating up the interior of my house more than what the weather is already doing to it.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

16 hours ago, kayb said:

I wish I could deal with medium-rare pork. I can't. I was too conditioned to "you'll get trichinosis!" as a child. I know that's not really an issue. Still can't get past it.

blindfold.

useful in so many ways :ph34r:

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@TicTac, rather than putting your pizza steel on the bottom, you might try Forkish's method and put the steel on the top rack.   

5afaf69d42ae0_PizzaSausageandOliveJanuary9th2014.thumb.jpg.973945f3ca735bb09d48ec85652e0ff5.jpg

Especially if you want to get that charred blistered crust.  

I don't bake pizza in the oven very often, but when I do this is the method that I follow.   I did a blog post the first time I used this method.

Many thanks.

Will give this a go next time and report back!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The citrus flavoured, numbing sensation of the peppercorns rendered me speechless (literally - my mouth wouldn't work) and went so well with the duck.

I am laughing as I try to imagine you speechless.   Laughing with you not at you.:)

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Toliver said:

It sounds like heresy to some, but as I've posted before, when it gets hot here where I live, my oven or my stovetop does not get turned on.

I use the microwave and that's it. It sometimes calls for a lot of creativity to figure what I can do with just a microwave for my meals but I accept that challenge. Anything is better than heating up the interior of my house more than what the weather is already doing to it.

I live in central coastal Florida and have no problem turning on my oven. Kick up the AC for a short time if needed.  I'm in a shorts and tee at home during many months and a little extra heat is easily tolerated.   Guess I'm well acclimated 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Toliver said:

Living in the Mississippi River Delta, where temperatures and humidity vie for top spot in the summer, heating up the kitchen is definitely an issue. If I'm going to bake bread, it gets baked early in the morning after an overnight refrigerator rise, before the house heats up TOO much. I use my Instant Pot a lot; the stovetop contributes to the misery. And I find my CSO invaluable; I can get oven results without oven heat jacking up the overall kitchen/house temperature.

It was 93 today, humidity in the upper 80s. In mid-May. Gonna be a scorcher, they say.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

911D423F-A0AE-45DB-971C-8783E91BBFE4.thumb.jpeg.48da2c194887ff7b4c200d735d6640c0.jpeg

Egg salad on crispbread with a selection of homemade pickles.   

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_20180513_190923519.thumb.jpg.ab04ef02126171cc15e9f57557f1271a.jpg

Chilli-lime chicken.

We've been making this dish for years - based on a recipe from a British-Indonesian cookbook. A chicken, chopped into pieces, marinated in soy, black pepper and salt and then shallow-fried. The sauce is red chilli, lime and some sugar. We eat it with a bowl of rice and some greens (this time it was gai lan).

• Like 13

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

15 hours ago, kayb said:

Living in the Mississippi River Delta, where temperatures and humidity vie for top spot in the summer, heating up the kitchen is definitely an issue. If I'm going to bake bread, it gets baked early in the morning after an overnight refrigerator rise, before the house heats up TOO much. I use my Instant Pot a lot; the stovetop contributes to the misery. And I find my CSO invaluable; I can get oven results without oven heat jacking up the overall kitchen/house temperature.

It was 93 today, humidity in the upper 80s. In mid-May. Gonna be a scorcher, they say.

Ah 93, a beautiful spring afternoon 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Haha 2