• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

6 hours ago, weedy said:

I made an Udon dish out of my head (so no claim of authenticity)

I sautéed some garlic and onion in oil with some Japanese chile paste. Then added some cherry stone clams and some water and Dashi base and let them steam open.

i added a handful of beech mushrooms for a minute.  

Then I puréed that lot and returned it to the wipes clean pot. 

In another pan I sautéed garlic and chopped Chinese broccoli until wilted and stems were softened. 

I added that to the clam soup base. 

Then I lightly scored about 3/4 of a pound of cuttlefish and fried them in the garlic oil left from the broccoli until slightly golden. 

Tossed them to cook the other side. 

Held. 

Lastly i quick boiled some fresh udon noodles. 

Added the Udon and another handful of uncooked beech mushrooms to the soup/sauce and stirred. 

Plated that with the fried cuttlefish on top and a bit and of fresh coriander. 

It was very decent (if I do say so myself) and vaguely modern Japanese (in a Nobu or Morimoto kind of way). 

Basically i I was bored with my usual repertoire!

2657DA24-1A51-4CE8-B169-5E48B9C1BC1E.jpeg

I make some dishes because I'm off my head9_9 some of my best meals. Well done looks super. D

Its not pretty but its the first thing I've cooked in a while so I'm sharing my mediocrity. 

Pork loin chops and a CauliBroc Cheese - Born from my excited declaration when I got home from work and a grocery run.

'Look husband, these big chunks of short date (2 weeks) Jarlsberg straight off the wheel were 75% off! I got 2!'

And his reply - "yeah, me too" 9_9

20180511_201213.thumb.jpg.c4cbf6255704aed181f60e98b35cf8b0.jpg

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

Stuffed shells last night. I have learned that putting the sauce in the dish first, makes getting the stuffed shells all lined up and in their place much easier. I make the dish in the morning and put it into a 350 F oven an hour and a half before dinner and let it cool for 15 minutes before we sit down to eat.

HC

IMG_0564.thumb.JPG.2d89be7411ec55047847cd466087ffc9.JPGIMG_0565.thumb.JPG.0e165887f277654e97b252712f9263e6.JPGIMG_0566.thumb.JPG.9af1a4dc46109ee53c68710b398b5485.JPG

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

I've cooked fish for dinner every night this week.  Sunday we had the smoked salmon tacos I posted recently again, with this tomato and corn salad

5af57b846d222_cornandtomatosalad.thumb.jpg.8d72483f660958c8a4379e71e2671606.jpg

Monday we had scallop rolls

5af57b8027849_scalloproll2.thumb.jpg.d1b501112da4c81a02c717365a708149.jpg

Tuesday we had grilled cod in foil packs with tomatoes, onions and a white wine-butter sauce, with chives from my garden (the only thing growing so far).  The cod fell apart a little coming out of the foil pack, but the flavor was good.

cod.thumb.jpg.4d0c06b4ca39ebaeae27b6b977e488a1.jpg

Wednesday we had salmon banh mi, and last night I made scallops again, this time over an asparagus-ramp-pea risotto, with more chives

5af57b7b679f5_scalloprisotto.thumb.jpg.3482739b33d4ceb8c43e896c8197856a.jpg

Tonight I am cooking steak xD

• Like 19
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

I've cooked fish for dinner every night this week.

I am SO jealous. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am SO jealous. 

I belong to a community supported fish share.  Every week I get two pounds of a local fish--usually a white fish like flounder, cod, monkfish etc., and two pounds of Faroe Island salmon.  I give half of the share to my sister because she goes to the pickup site and gets it and delivers my half to my house.  Occasionally they offer add ons for an additional cost, like the scallops we got this week.  They've also offered lobster meat, steamer clams, and rarely, local swordfish.  It's a good deal, the fish is much fresher than what we can get at the store, and it supports our local fisheries.  The only fish we get sometimes that I don't care for is pollock, but I have figured out how to work with it to make it palatable.  This is the fish share:

http://www.capeannfreshcatch.org/

12 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I belong to a community supported fish share. 

Nothing like that available where I live. Buying fish at the supermarket is always an iffy proposition so I rarely indulge except perhaps for some mussels and at one time I might’ve bought a lobster or three. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Nothing like that available where I live. Buying fish at the supermarket is always an iffy proposition so I rarely indulge except perhaps for some mussels and at one time I might’ve bought a lobster or three. 

You just have to find the right market!

My beloved Japanese supplier 'Yu Seafood' closed its doors last year, so lately I have been buying from Sunny Supermarket ( Leslie and Finch ).

The Chinese sure do know their food, and are nearly as stringent as I am when it comes to quality/freshness and variety.  He pulls in not only the typical EU (stripped bass, bream, etc) but also some nice stuff from Florida (Grouper, lots of live offerings - geoduck, lobsters, various clams - razorback, etc among other oddities - like live eels which chances are I will never buy!)

And to ensure I am staying on topic - from said market, I procured both a nice piece of salmon for the wife and little ones, and I picked up some fresh Boston squid for Calamari!

47 minutes ago, TicTac said:

You just have to find the right market!

And have the means to reach it (encompassing both the meanings of means.) :DxD

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Recent dinner:

DSCN8195.JPG.190cdcc6c62225da93ac0a0fbe289c46.JPG

Rotisserie chicken (store bought), roasted potatoes and Brussels sprouts.  With Bisto gravy:

DSCN8196.JPG.72ac3fc260cdba7b0296ac97c427e066.JPG

And veggies:

DSCN8194.JPG.2a8fafcf3aac70fb0410e34c5aaf38ad.JPG

Very nostalgic meal for me.  I was telling Mr. Kim that this exact meal was one that my mom made almost every week when I was a kid.  It was one of the few meals that everyone at the house would eat!  With our blended family of Americans and British folk, she had to stick close to a few select things.  When she and I were on our own it was pizza and beanie weenie!

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

And have the means to reach it (encompassing both the meanings of means.) :DxD

...assuming such a market exists anywhere near your home. Those of us away from the ocean, in less affluent areas, can be SOL.

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1506B7C7-5BAF-41DE-99F0-4559DB7A7826.thumb.jpeg.93dff70424f77694247b82b8efdf5e3f.jpeg

Vietnamese caramel coconut chicken with rice and peas. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I threw in the towel today.  Last night, I made a lovely chicken scampi over angel hair pasta. Despite the yummy parmesan-garlic cream, that doggone kid " Mr. Master-Ketchup-Chef" still squirted a side of Heinz next to it. I give up.   So, tonight, I made panko-breaded chicken strips, crinkle cut fries, and pan roasted brussels sprouts with scallions. 

IMG_2634.JPG

• Like 9
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

@MetsFan5: Recipe link for Cheesy Chicken Fritters posted in eGullet recipes

For supper tonight, salted a small chicken last night for Zuni Cafe Chicken. Tucked fresh Kaffir lime leaves under the skin. Eaten with taters in foil and corn-on-the -cob.

It's a chilly day, and the oven heat was most welcomed!

5af66f5bce75c_ZuniCafeChicken4986.jpg.fa570ebed3f62c33c87a82a71c5bc318.jpg

5af66f2fdaea3_ZuniCafeChicken4989.jpg.d1ad5e7b5e70323ad3544a3084552083.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

We had a salad with lettuce from the garden, and soft shell crab sandwiches for dinner. Any day that I can have a soft shell crab sandwich for both lunch and dinner, is a good one in my book, and yesterday was one of them. These were "fresh", meaning that they were sold cleaned and prepped for the fry pan. I am still holding out hopes for finding live ones, the pinnacle, in the pursuit of the  perfect soft shell crab meal.

I wasn't sure if Deb would be on board, but she was all in after the first bite and has fully endorsed soft shell crab season as a legitimate and worthwhile endeavor. I served these up with the same spicy  lemon and garlic aioli I made for my sandwich at lunch and was pleased to see how well it was received, as she went back for frequent reapplications.

HC

IMG_0578.thumb.JPG.60cac588aae3f55acf0dbd60206b6df9.JPGIMG_0580.thumb.JPG.3b89a92d93ee2c15e78e38117cccc35a.JPGIMG_0582.thumb.JPG.4ebf4e65a6cc0d5413a2005d0496dbfb.JPG

• Like 13

Last night before dinner snack:

DSCN8199.JPG.39a05ed7393b63f2867e99dc7a10a0b2.JPG

Some more of that Caramont goat cheese and water biscuits.

Pickly stuff:

DSCN8200.JPG.ae449c24acc5cd401a3476b504a07d39.JPG

Some pink Key West shrimp rescued from the freezer and roasted ala Ina Garten:

DSCN8203.JPG.00b83301ea787551a2fccf97809542e8.JPG

Served with cocktail sauce, crackers, a salad with Caramont feta:

DSCN8202.JPG.39ffd00357abcd20678eb6639f76719d.JPG

First of the season corn:

DSCN8205.JPG.c6aede7b1ac9387cf4e28ea4eaf1c53a.JPG

(not at all bad).

And a little bit of leftover Popeye’s dirty rice:

DSCN8206.JPG.28542e2f79b4d33db3ed5a62e4359e4f.JPG

Couldn’t let THAT go to waste!:D

And Mr. Kim brought home some goodies for dessert:

DSCN8207.JPG.85ad2da324cdc88edaf17c0c04f13624.JPG

• Like 16

14 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Just forget to buy ketchup.

I did.  He drove to the gas station, bought a bottle, and brought it home.  (Face palm.) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, ChocoMom said:

I did.  He drove to the gas station, bought a bottle, and brought it home.  (Face palm.) 

But you aren't enabling him...and he has to spend his own money.   Perhaps he will outgrow this phase....I did.

Cool and rainy today and tomorrow..... John suggested shrimp; I wanted beef.

I will make him some gluten free rice noodles with shrimp, green onion tops and a sesame/nut butter sauce.

I'm also making a small beef stew and/or stroganoff...haven't decided which way to go.

Picked up some steam in the bag green beans as the new ones haven't started to some in yet so I'm leaning towards the stroganoff.

Now off to do some more laundry and black cat cuddles.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites