• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

41 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Ribeye and rice.

Nice presentation.  Beautifully cooked steak. What are the two “bookends” to the ribeye?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So, I almost never plate food at dinner for everyone. Its pointless because my son drowns everything in ketchup, and hubby destroys whatever I construct.  But today, I was fooling around with Hollandaise sauce and asparagus, boneless ribeye, and some veggie/rice mix.  My son said it looked kinda fancy.  I was kidding, and I said "yeah, I've been watching Masterchef too much!".  He replied, "well it looks really nice, but my Masterchef says 'I need ketchup'"...=+/ 

IMG_2606-2.JPG

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

65C13EFB-17F0-4549-AFA2-1FF48D271835.thumb.jpeg.046dc293b744184525dfe9b10d9b40f5.jpeg

I am a fan of Kentucky Fried Chicken. I rarely get the opportunity to sample it so I’ve always thought I should give this “secret recipe”  a chance to prove itself.  Nope. Never. Not even close. Boring. I did bake rather than deep fry the chicken but I don’t think that should’ve made much difference in terms of the flavour of the coating. Just saying. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

I am sorry for your loss!

looks like a bread crumb kinda coating rather than a batter.

more better batter?

No amount of batter, bread crumbs or anything else for that matter can change the fact that these are not the 11 herbs and spices used in the Kentucky Fried Chicken that I know.:D

• Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Panko crumbed chicken Schnitzel topped with salsa, tomato, spring onion, jalepeno, cheese and sour cream. 

With leftover skin on boiled chats, mashed and baked with goodies until crispy and creamy. Generic green beans. I miss good ole 'Runner Beans' so much. 

20180427_185632.thumb.jpg.529133526da2b181ba17b90d9bb30c9c.jpg

• Like 16

^^ Shain, try Austrian version also. Similar but in a different shape, has scrambled/torn eggs hence the name "Eiernockerln"/dumplings with eggs. This simple meal is a happy childhood memory of most Austrians. (My versions: plain, with beetroots, with crown prince pumpkin)

D9KB2rZ.jpg

98C7aPl.jpg

ItSHt8I.jpg

------------------------

It's a holiday long weekend here. SV duck legs.

Lc4LhY7.jpg

ZwYHYIx.jpg

• Like 14

Tapas for dinner

Patatas Bravas

029.thumb.jpg.b28dd2c5fb794688439fe08e79c58f9c.jpg

Butter poached shrimp with pimenton and sherry vinegar and creamy polenta. ....needs a colorful garnish

0391.thumb.jpg.00d3935f706d7e9453cae7bdc725dee3.jpg

Albondigas

031.thumb.jpg.99c6e6425bd68d5033850a73e608d65c.jpg

• Like 16

50 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Tapas for dinner

Patatas Bravas

029.thumb.jpg.b28dd2c5fb794688439fe08e79c58f9c.jpg

Butter poached shrimp with pimenton and sherry vinegar and creamy polenta. ....needs a colorful garnish

0391.thumb.jpg.00d3935f706d7e9453cae7bdc725dee3.jpg

Albondigas

031.thumb.jpg.99c6e6425bd68d5033850a73e608d65c.jpg

Beautiful but all the same orange.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Beautiful but all the same orange.

That's why I put in those green onions!

But tapas are in the tan/brown/orange palette mostly, aren't they? 

There must be something doable that's green....sprouts perhaps. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, gfweb said:

That's why I put in those green onions!

But tapas are in the tan/brown/orange palette mostly, aren't they? 

There must be something doable that's green....sprouts perhaps. 

I would’ve coped with the orange. xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog