• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

23CCB7B7-A87B-4F11-AD8F-52D68239087E.thumb.jpeg.68a15a75fde7d8d86b7fd1a6e1ba4c25.jpeg

More Catalan Beef Stew with Chocolate this time served over rice and with some peas added for colour and variety.  

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I got a pork roast yesterday and gave Charlie a choice: Carnitas, smoked, or pork bulgogi. He chose bulgogi and picked out which recipe he wanted me to use too.  It is a lot different from the one I have used since he was little but it is from a Korean cook book that he uses a lot. It only had hot pepper paste, sugar, garlic and sesame oil.  I turned the smoker into a grill for this. I also made a salad that was in the same cook book and some marinated beans sprouts.

20180424_152020.jpg

20180424_152523.jpg

20180424_152722.jpg

• Like 22
  • Delicious 1

John has developed TMJ while going through oral surgery and having appliances constructed.  So........now he has gotten home from Aruba trying to make soft soft soft food he can eat without pain.

Ham salad,  the split pea soup, soft cooked pasta.

Will be baking some bone in chicken breasts to throw into the mini-pro to make chicken salad.

Eggy potatoes.

Tonight is baked flounder filets, steamed and sautéed zucchini and steamed baked potatoes for John; the flounder, zucchini and some coleslaw for me.

Any suggestions are appreciated...........

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

FA7BE7E7-44E8-4F1F-86DA-39C15D83908B.thumb.jpeg.c8ae33d947d18212e74a1cbe0d5dfbf3.jpeg

Cold noodle salad with beef, carrots, red and green onions and a soy sauce, chilli sauce, sesame oil and rice vinegar dressing. 

• Like 18

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Couldnt resist when I saw this nice crab at Whole Foods, so I decided to make a simple seafood boil for me and my wife

2JrhJ71.jpg

Got some King Crab, lobster claws, shrimp, linguica sausage, red potatoes, onions, garlic, old bay, lemons, corn, and some spices I love. 

CuOM7I6.jpg

1L5olyK.jpg

CPvh3Iw.jpg

vjcPDlK.jpg

BEOYbkI.jpg

• Like 23

Food blogging zombie

My Instagram

My YouTube Channel

5 hours ago, suzilightning said:

John has developed TMJ while going through oral surgery and having appliances constructed.  So........now he has gotten home from Aruba trying to make soft soft soft food he can eat without pain.

Ham salad,  the split pea soup, soft cooked pasta.

Will be baking some bone in chicken breasts to throw into the mini-pro to make chicken salad.

Eggy potatoes.

Tonight is baked flounder filets, steamed and sautéed zucchini and steamed baked potatoes for John; the flounder, zucchini and some coleslaw for me.

Any suggestions are appreciated...........

Chicken Tetrazzini -- save some for me.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@suzilightning maybe Swedish meatballs? I do them with dozen or more small meatballs in the slow cooker and serve them with egg noodles and they are very tender. 

Risotto is also easy, or even orzo with sauce if you don’t feel like bothering with risotto, although Food and Wine has a great risotto recipe with zucchini and sausage for the slow cooker (you could use ground sweet Italian sausage and cook it to crumbly bits). Hope he feels better soon! 

For your enjoyment :/. My first and  I guess second attempt (reheated)  reverse seared rib eye and potatoes (back story on never again..). 

Served 4 hours after it was ready. :(

No effort was made in the plating or photography. The will was long gone. 

20180425_213305.thumb.jpg.8937f7dbc2785a365ad5e2384d5ac6a3.jpg

20180425_213355.thumb.jpg.bcacfb5a8eb396d1dedca3aeac4d8755.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 8

17 hours ago, BonVivant said:

My fish was glad it swam 3 times today: in water, in Speck-butter and in wine.

mnNj6Bk.jpg

Frnq0cM.jpg

I would have to name this "Happy Fish." Looks lovely.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Dinner, from last Thursday, shared with my sister (who was here to join me for FeatherFest - Galveston’s annual birding and photography festival):

6A7CC677-D4F1-4CDD-9CC5-87A30B5C805F.thumb.jpeg.e5e7a13a59adc1d3a835af8bf67b9b55.jpeg

Fried Calamari and Crawfish Etouffee with Dirty Rice and Fried Okra at Landry’s Seafood House on Galveston’s Seawall Blvd.

8660E11F-49A2-44F9-9E24-1B8E1D211E48.thumb.jpeg.da0755ebf9942b66ce446c4c6e5733c5.jpeg

• Like 16

My very favorite "I'm by myself, I'm a grownup, and I don't have to eat a balanced deal if I don't want to" meal: A bowl or potato salad.20180425_182026.thumb.jpg.3f2b360baa5489c3daf77a7fd2fce350.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

D6924623-6CF7-49F7-9F92-49AD0F837263.thumb.jpeg.a8d4d1ea7fb3d05417b3a300bdffd4a4.jpeg

An attempt to riff off a lunch appetizer. Thinly sliced beef with caramelized onions and horseradish cream. Aesthetically it needs work but otherwise...  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog