• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

26 minutes ago, Shelby said:

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

So are you suggesting that I need to try it?:)

I don't think you would hate it.  It's easy to make.  It's one of my comfort foods.  You might find it a bit salty....we like it, but we are salt junkies.

Well it may be a while before I manage to get some. I just checked where I usually place my grocery orders and it’s not available there and the cost on Amazon.ca is prohibitive.   But I do see that Wegmans carries it so I may have to put @Kerry Bealon the job.xD

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well it may be a while before I manage to get some. I just checked where I usually place my grocery orders and it’s not available there and the cost on Amazon.ca is prohibitive.   But I do see that Wegmans carries it so I may have to put @Kerry Bealon the job.xD

Are we talking Rice a Roni? I think we can get that at most grocery stores here.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Are we talking Rice a Roni? I think we can get that at most grocery stores here.

Yes we are. But I know that Grocery Gateway doesn’t carry it despite having literally dozens of rice products.  But I shall keep my eyes open in other grocery stores.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5ED3308B-C34D-4515-856E-AA05ECE4222F.thumb.jpeg.bbf6e622e0799196c35a93ada01cd5bd.jpeg

Catalan beef stew with chocolate, potato planks and green beans. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

Had the Swedish Meatballs browned and simmering before I left for work this morning.

Made for an easy dinner tonight.

Just had to add the heavy cream to the sauce, and let them simmer a little longer while the noodles cooked, and the green beans steamed.

Reheated the  red cabbage left over from the roast duck dinner Thursday night.

5adbeeb1dbab4_SwedishMeatballsApril21st20181.thumb.jpg.ff2236def6bdbfd89dacaf8ac9babe1f.jpg

• Like 16

I spent one summer working at a fish market and learned so much about how to spot truly fresh fish, I should have been paying them for the experience. As soon as I saw this cod yesterday, I knew It would be fish and chips at the HC table last night, and it was just about perfect!

HC

IMG_0274.thumb.JPG.a2694de4fd98691c3e897a417edf3cf1.JPGIMG_0277.thumb.JPG.121cfd8756930e148f6056ad7f676b8a.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 4

We went to a wine tasting event in Penticton last night.  One that we always go to because it is such a good time.  A big conference room with food stations in the middle and 50 local wineries pouring 5 or 6 wines/winery stationed around the perimeter of the room.  The food is always great.  For the past couple of years they've had racks and racks and racks of lamb cooked to perfection.  Just step up to the carver and get one, and another and another....there is no limit and not everyone likes lamb so they never run out.  I had 6 throughout the night.  Then there is the oyster bar shucking oysters all night.  Sushi platters; Italian meat trays with fresh bread; hot canapés; etc, etc, etc.  That was dinner.  Wonderful.  As usual there were some fantastic wines.  No pictures because I was too busy.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

5adca62fb0e19_taconight.JPG.59c151de7ae7cd1ef3c4f1afd35e8231.JPG

Taco night. With refried beans, rice, and some corn tortillas, fried crispy, with cheese melted on them and drizzled with Pancho's dressing. @Thanks for the Crepes will be familiar with the dressing; for the rest of you, its a sweet, mustard-y viniagrette Pancho's, that venerable Ark-Mex standby for 60-plus years, has always used for its taco sauce. One can buy it in the grocery around here, and I frequently do. Makes a good cabbage dressing for slaw for fish tacos, too.

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Is that tomatoes, or red bell peppers in your succotash? Never tried either in mine. It's a dish I enjoy, but mine's always just plain ol' limas and corn.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Pasties are about as plain-looking as a dinner can possibly get. The finished product looks like a lump of baked dough.  But, the insides are bursting with the flavors of beef, sausage, red potatoes, onions, carrots, rutabaga, and a little cabbage. Seasoned with salt, pepper, a pat of butter. I made 10 or 12, so they will last for a couple dinners and lunches. Half of one is plenty for a meal. 

IMG_2592.JPG

• Like 15

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

6FF1B03E-399A-4FFA-9700-206CE9B6AC5C.thumb.jpeg.9f9dfa04ebb8bfbb3039a3dff919d9d7.jpeg

Not terribly photogenic but quite tasty. This is left over from an Instant Pot meal of pork and cabbage. 

This.   

I added some caraway seeds just to pimp it up a bit. 

It was reheated in its serving dish in the Cuisinart Steam Oven for 20 minutes at 300° on the bake / steam function. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

Pasties are about as plain-looking as a dinner can possibly get. The finished product looks like a lump of baked dough.  But, the insides are bursting with the flavors of beef, sausage, red potatoes, onions, carrots, rutabaga, and a little cabbage. Seasoned with salt, pepper, a pat of butter. I made 10 or 12, so they will last for a couple dinners and lunches. Half of one is plenty for a meal. 

IMG_2592.JPG

Along with some Bisto beef gravy??????

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

@suzilightning  Most of our family uses good ole Heinz ketchup. Some have tried it with gravy, but prefer ketchup. Restaurants up here give folks the option.   Personally, I prefer it with an extra slab of butter melting all over the inside.  I think ketchup distracts from the flavors too much, and gravy covers flavors too much.  Butter makes it all just taste more delicious, IMHO. 

• Like 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Dinner tonight, I bought too much catfish, so catfish with homemade croutons (from MC sandwich bread, which I've made like 10x now), butter lettuce, tomatoes, with a balsamic / olive oil dressing.

• 20180422_190311.thumb.jpg.1ba6170b75bff7db8e29e721f35e9cc6.jpg

Alone with a nice glass of red wine :)

Edited by Raamo (log)
  • Like 13

9 hours ago, kayb said:

Is that tomatoes, or red bell peppers in your succotash? Never tried either in mine. It's a dish I enjoy, but mine's always just plain ol' limas and corn.

That's red pepper.

5 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

IMG_2592.JPG

Pasties are a big thing around here in Wharton, NJ because of the history of the folks who moved here.  First time I encountered them close to 30 years ago Rocky's served his beef pasty's with a side of gravy....

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Quick after-work Quiche. Well as quick as anything involving pastry can be. Base was a little too thin to handle the amount of cheese I added. Despite a rigorous blind bake. I imagine it will be better cold for lunch tomorrow. 

Served a little too hot, it was loose cheesy and barely holding itself together.

I would make a joke but its not necessary ^_^

20180423_195104.thumb.jpg.c45082a4072390e491ef57ace6ab6be7.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 14
  • Haha 1

Strawberry Gazpacho from the Eleven Madison Park cookbook. Probably one of the easiest recipes in the book. I tried plating like the book does, then tried doing my own thing, which I preferred. 

The strawberries were tossed in olive oil and sugar and cooked in a low oven for 2 hours. I will definitely be using that technique again. 

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

• Like 12

It's the boring Tuesday.......Better liven it up with Pasta and Vino.

Penne with Wild Boar smoked ham

- Sauce:  Garlic -  Mushrooms - Truffle Oil - White Wine and Cream. 

- Dressed with Parmegiano Regiano and chopped fresh flat Parsley.

The dessert was Häagen-Dazs Strawberry Ice Cream followed by Espresso and a nap.

ZlkQGBJ.jpg

FPxs2tr.jpg

yXm3aMo.jpg

• Like 11

Last night was chicken avocado tacos with RG Moro beans...

ChickenBreast04232018.png

CSO roast breast.

Avocado04232018.png

Organic Hass, 3/$5.

MoroBeans04232018.png

Moro beans.  Somewhat sad.  Moro are not my favorite but got the job done.

SalsaMexicana04232018.png

Salsa Mexicana from Alex Stupak and Jordana Rothman, Tacos Recipes and Provocations.

Dinner04232018.png

Not bad for my first attempt at tacos.  Bass ale and sour cream not shown.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou