• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

20 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

@Raamo I'm just curious, it says Minnesota on your profile but do you originally come from another country? In all seriousness, I've never seen anyone eat a Wagyu steak like that. And Wagyu is hella expensive, so I know you're not trolling.

Nope I'm from USA - the super market here does call it American Wagyu - it's more marbled then the normal stuff.  It's nothing like Wagyu in Japan - I've been to Japan 3x and had real Wagyu many times.

Anyway the American Wagyu isn't cheap :)  I normally don't like ribeye and I enjoyed this ribeye.  So there's that.  I rarely eat beef, and when I do it's ternderloins or filet mignon. 

@Raamo Interesting. I put Béarnaise sauce on cheap sirloin and I liked it, but even then, it was a bit much. Actually, I posted it to eGullet a few years back. I'll try to find it later (I'm at work). I used much less Béarnaise than you did.

And I agree, American Wagyu isn't cheap! I've only had it at restaurants.

Edited by Smokeydoke (log)

17 minutes ago, Smokeydoke said:

@Raamo Interesting. I put Béarnaise sauce on cheap sirloin and I liked it, but even then, it was a bit much. Actually, I posted it to eGullet a few years back. I'll try to find it later (I'm at work). I used much less Béarnaise than you did.

And I agree, American Wagyu isn't cheap! I've only had it at restaurants.

We made 50% of the Modernist Hollandaise sauce recipe, modified to be Bearnaise  (mostly from the addition of Tarragon, since the recipe already uses white wine vinegar) 

It's then put in an ISI siphon and pressurized - so the volume is deceptive.   The sauce doesn't keep so we used it all :)   Cheap is relative, the best steak I've had was at the New York Grill at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo.   It was Japanese wagyu  filet mignon, I got to see all the cuts before being cooked - they also had a australian filet mignon - there was no question in appearance.  The steak was amazing - and not cheap - I think it was $140 USD for that steak :)   This was 8 oz and around $15.  When they have had wagyu tenderloin a cut of this size would have been $30+.

I won't eat cheap steak like Sirloin (I just don't like it).  I rarely even cook steak at home.  It's helped that our local grocery store has started to carry higher end steak. 

If you look at my history I mostly post fish and veg IIRC.  I tend to rarely take pictures though, usually don't think about it.   This event came around from getting a shipment of wine and wanting to audition a new one to decide if I should order more of it.  I discovered with a chardonnay that when I drank it with turkey (MC style) at t-day I REALLY liked it, by it self not so much.  Thus the steak was a suggestion from the winery.  Cheese was our own idea.  Historically I dislike cheese.  Only exceptions have been cheap Wisconsin sharp cheddar  and pepperjack from one company.  Some time ago I got to try aged cheddar... and I liked it.

In Japan (this was a prior dinner so I guess it's on topic :)) our 7th course out of 10 at a French Restaurant (2 michelin stars) was to pick as much as we wanted from this cheese tray:

20180326_202159.thumb.jpg.a984225a9ea32dc999746108486e98cb.jpg

The cheese lady at our local grocery store had fun identifying the cheeses in this picture.  You can see the plate in the background of our selections.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I was re-reading an account from about 15 years ago when I went to visit my son in Seattle then headed south to meet some friends in California where we had a window seat in a seaside restaurant. I had some cioppino  while watching the sun set on the Pacific Ocean.  I got hungry for a fish stew and made one for an early dinner tonight.  I didn't want to spend as much as it would take to make cioppino but this was good.  The view out the window was Kansas though, no water, not even a birdbath. 

20180418_151223.jpg

• Like 17

So, after I say* this out loud, it's going to sound utterly ridiculous and not possible, but I swear it's true.  I had the flu in January --it hit me on the 8th.  That's how bad the flu was, because I can barely remember my own birthdate much less any other date.  Anyway, it knocked me for a loop to say the least.  After the first week it had moved from my chest up into my ears and throat.  Thus, the only things I could taste were salt and hot peppers...everything else was like a 9 times less version of it's real taste.  Anyway to sum up my long story, before this flu,  I had become a big heat weenie.  The tiniest jalapeño sent my eyes to watering and heartburn like you wouldn't believe.  So, during the flu, the one good thing was that I could eat everything hot.  700 jalapeños plus all the seeds went into the chili and so on.  I really took advantage of it because I knew that once I got rid of all of the junk in my nose, head and throat that I would go back to weenie-ness.

I haven't gone back.  I can eat everything hot.  The hotter the better.  I've googled to see if this phenomenon is a thing and I can't find that it is.  Now DURING a cold or flu, yeah, but not after it's all gone.  I cannot get enough hot.  Thus the following meals--I'm still afraid I'm going to lose my tolerance lol:

Hotdogs boiled in the cajun seasoning that I do crawdads in

IMG_4407.JPG.aec97bd2affe7711e31957aa46bbba70.JPG

Lo mein and Asian sticky wings (lots of chile added)

IMG_4408.JPG.f2e9befc6117fbed7d87253381235ce7.JPG

IMG_4409.jpg.131109963c50c4b6ca1d5218358adcb5.jpg

IMG_4412.JPG.e6cc9e7f7e7983034be963b4768e77e5.JPG

Steak quesadillas

IMG_4413.jpg.93f6b4ce1b924b9f2ca9deb9a07d4a1c.jpg

IMG_4414.JPG.3f95dd07b0b82d684413ced04898ca2e.JPG

I cannot wait for jalapeños from the garden.

*write

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

So, after I say* this out loud, it's going to sound utterly ridiculous and not possible, but I swear it's true.  I had the flu in January --it hit me on the 8th.  That's how bad the flu was, because I can barely remember my own birthdate much less any other date.  Anyway, it knocked me for a loop to say the least.  After the first week it had moved from my chest up into my ears and throat.  Thus, the only things I could taste were salt and hot peppers...everything else was like a 9 times less version of it's real taste.  Anyway to sum up my long story, before this flu,  I had become a big heat weenie.  The tiniest jalapeño sent my eyes to watering and heartburn like you wouldn't believe.  So, during the flu, the one good thing was that I could eat everything hot.  700 jalapeños plus all the seeds went into the chili and so on.  I really took advantage of it because I knew that once I got rid of all of the junk in my nose, head and throat that I would go back to weenie-ness.

I haven't gone back.  I can eat everything hot.  The hotter the better.  I've googled to see if this phenomenon is a thing and I can't find that it is.  Now DURING a cold or flu, yeah, but not after it's all gone.  I cannot get enough hot.  Thus the following meals--I'm still afraid I'm going to lose my tolerance lol:

IMG_4407.JPG.aec97bd2affe7711e31957aa46bbba70.JPG

Lo mein and Asian sticky wings (lots of chile added)

IMG_4408.JPG.f2e9befc6117fbed7d87253381235ce7.JPG

IMG_4409.jpg.131109963c50c4b6ca1d5218358adcb5.jpg

IMG_4412.JPG.e6cc9e7f7e7983034be963b4768e77e5.JPG

Steak quesadillas

IMG_4413.jpg.93f6b4ce1b924b9f2ca9deb9a07d4a1c.jpg

IMG_4414.JPG.3f95dd07b0b82d684413ced04898ca2e.JPG

I cannot wait for jalapeños from the garden.

*write

That is so weird, @Shelby!  I wish that would happen to me (not the flu - just the ability to eat spicy stuff).  I don't want to be some stunt eater, but it would be nice to be able to eat a piece of pizza with spicy sausage!  

I'm sorry you were sick - glad you're better!!!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Shelby said:

After a trip to Santa Fe where I found everything quite hot initially - I developed receptor fatigue and soon it took much more to notice the heat. Same thing in Silver City a few years later.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

Inspired by @liuzhou's trip to Vietnam, I made a dish found all over Vietnam, although originating in the Central part of the country:

20180419_201647-1-1.thumb.jpg.934f28591fea8f10790861a2b842f65d.jpg

Bun ga... you can't see the noodles in there - they're buried under the lettuce.... but there were plenty..

• Like 15

Shrimp sandwich with banh mi flavors.  This was a better idea in my mind than on the plate.  After two bites I gave up and resorted to deconstructing the whole thing and eating the insides with a knife and fork.  It did taste good and there's half leftover for lunch tomorrow.

5ad944fbc8ff2_shrimpbanhmi.thumb.jpg.c6ef53c96fd487dfb16d8ef91bddec1a.jpg

• Like 16

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Inspired by @liuzhou's trip to Vietnam, I made a dish found all over Vietnam, although originating in the Central part of the country:

20180419_201647-1-1.thumb.jpg.934f28591fea8f10790861a2b842f65d.jpg

Bun ga... you can't see the noodles in there - they're buried under the lettuce.... but there were plenty..

That sounds delicious.  I just Googled a recipe and it sounds like something I'd love - after leaving out the red pepper flakes.

• Like 4

Salisbury steak is a passion of mine and a seemingly never ending quest to get to the college cafeteria dinner level. Success in this quest has eluded me for years, yet, every so often, I launch a renewed effort. Last night was such an endeavor. This one, though somewhat admirable, has  yet to arrive at the promised land. It is an effort that, unlike the mystery meat croquet, will continue, until I get it right. The secret seems to lie in just the right combination of French onion soup, Worcestershire sauce and powdered mustard.

IMG_0234.thumb.JPG.15c59aab992065416b1e383f28331b1b.JPG

My original plan was to cook all four and serve them in a dish at the table, hence the pot holder there. The size of them, however, thwarted me into cooking just two, but the pot holder remains in the picture just to add to my pain.

HC

IMG_0236.thumb.JPG.d2576bb41c3ccb123d6a8ff13449b326.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 11
  • Haha 2

@Kim Shook This dish, among many others, is very easily customizable.  In fact, many times, when you order this in a local food place, it won't have any chili in the dish at all, but will have a dish of chili on the table for you to add as much as you want.  I've found that Viet food is not usually very spicy - there are a lot of flavors, but tongue-tingling, make-you-sweat heat is not usually one of them, unless you add tons of chili yourself.

ETA:  There are actually no chili flakes in my version either... when I marinated the chicken, I used a bit of chili paste, but that paste isn't that hot, but has a good chili flavor.  And I put a bunch of thinly sliced "spur" chilis - long hot red chilis (that aren't that hot) in the dressing, but I defanged them so their mild heat was even milder - my wife is not a huge fan of very spicy food.  But they have great flavor other than heat, which is why I put them in.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Thanks 1

40869610304_07247c3a0b_z.jpg

Mezze rigatoni with a sauce made from leftover coda alla vaccinara.  So, mezze rigatoni con sugo di coda.

Served with a heart of escarole and celery leaf salad, dressed with an anchovy/garlic vinaigrette.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 14

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@HungryChris, I'm not sure that I would say that Salisbury Steak is a passion, but it is one of those "comfort" foods that I do really enjoy.  Took me a while to come up with one that satisfies a craving now and again. I like it served with a mushroom gravy.

I'm sure I would be happy eating yours too. 

• Like 5