• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

I was attending an evening Fashion Show and got there earlier than planned.  Better have a bite to eat as the canapes won't do it.

I ordered a Club Sandwich and this is what I got.

Nevermind it is the most expensive Club Sandwich in the world.

But a Simpson's on the Strand Club Sandwich it is not.

Nevermind that the plate is a signed Versace plate made by Rosenthal. It is still the most awful deconstructed Club Sandwich ever...... Quail eggs.....Pfffft.....

Never again.....

EM0cbG1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

I actually decided to make Huli Huli chicken tonight. 

Bought a whole chicken, cut it in fours

AtTeUmH.jpg

For the marinade/sauce I use 

DE6pRcN.jpg

going to sous vide it for 2 hours at 140F 

zsMiF0a.jpg

FYlMfhe.jpg

and then hit it on top of hot mesquite coals

will be back in 2 hours with photo updates :) 

• Like 13

Food blogging zombie

My Instagram

My YouTube Channel

16 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I don't think I've ever heard of Huli Huli before... what is it?  Is it Polynesian? Hawaiian?

Kenneth, its Hawaiian

One of my favorite chicken dishes ever :) 

They cook it on the kiawe coals, very similar to mesquite. Amazing chicken

• Like 1

Food blogging zombie

My Instagram

My YouTube Channel

Steak night here. The weird thing is that as much as Deb loves steak, I can take it or leave it, and rarely finish mine. I'd rather have it cold in a sandwich. I managed a steak restaurant for several years. When I started, I loved a good steak, when I finished, I would rather have a good baked potato and a salad with a good blue cheese dressing. It's not that I ever saw anything bad, in my experience, but it's just how it affected me. Go figure.
HC

IMG_0103.thumb.JPG.163be4f8bd7feb287b3c730e4da6e1db.JPGIMG_0104.thumb.JPG.aab846691fbd85e9c51e0769810181c5.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 15

The Man's Christmas present was a starter smoker. I wasn't here so just ordered it for him. Well I've been home for a few weeks now and he decided to give it the maiden voyage!

Pork ribs, yellow peppers and asparagus.  It was a lot of fun to make. The ribs flavour was delish...very spicy with the rub we made up. A bit tougher then we are used to *IP fall off the bone ribbies* The peppers and asparagus had an incredible smokey flavour. This is an adventure we will enjoy :)

30516017_10155364565597703_4074213025026932736_n.jpg

30411547_10155364563012703_5824505334512746496_n - Copy.jpg

30412067_10155365128352703_4626913880809930752_n.jpg

30265322_10155364967062703_82479637124349952_n.jpg

30414707_10155365329092703_1078736011971788800_n.jpg

• Like 17

after a few hours of love 

I started some Mesquite coals

JCmbtA1.jpg

and the iron cage right on top of it

MPK8sSv.jpg

After 2 and half hour of sous vide, the chicken is getting its sauce

LqAVfhm.jpg

On to a hot grill it goes 

9pflYsU.jpg

and with nice white rice and coleslaw we serve :) macaroni salad next time thought 

cw3gL5P.jpg

u69m2e9.jpg

• Like 21
  • Delicious 1

Food blogging zombie

My Instagram

My YouTube Channel

Tonight from Tiko Tuskadze's Supra...

Dinner04092018.png

Sakonlis Khorzis Kharcho, spiced beef and walnut stew (pp106-107).  This was a delectably unusual dish for me.  The beef is flavored with cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, marigold, bay leaves and other things.  Much cilantro.  The sauce is thickened with onion, egg yolks, and apple cider vinegar.

Served with traditional Gomi, translated by Tuskadze as rice pudding, but indistinguishable to my palate from fine Venetian polenta.  Also Tkemali (store bought), the addictive sour plum sauce that goes with everything.

I cheated.  Rather than boiling the beef, I cooked the chuck sous vide.  Delightfully tender, not mealy in the least.  Plus I threw in a dollop of demi glace because I could.

• Like 11

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'm staying in a village in the Austrian Alps. Have been making meals with what I can get and what I can use in my not very well equipped kitchen. The best things here are Speck, mountain cheeses and wines from all over Austria.

A8p5NeB.jpg

Tk6qPXA.jpg

Austrians are hell-bent on local and quality Austrian products. This is my first Austrian beef.

rVxP6oX.jpg

Asparagus is so tiny there's no need to peel. Well, you can't anyway.

LPf4rEq.jpg

Got a piece of lard for cooking. It's meant to be eaten with bread, thinly sliced.

gyYKA2R.jpg

Torn pancakes with crisp-fried Tyrolean Speck, my savoury version of Kaiserschmarrn. I used rye flour here.

YKw0hIa.jpg

Let's face it, besides the hiking, I'm actually here for the Speck!

sseza8s.jpg

4XDxsBv.jpg

You take my meaning when I say I'm here for the Speck! In no country is the "Speck culture" so strong as Austria.

Gonna throw out all my things to fit this in my bag to take home!

aUZrVpy.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 24

3D18F712-118B-4310-BA82-ED137818BE6D.thumb.jpeg.e3a782dfa63bf1ed58a0c07a2c13fb7d.jpeg

Adapted from a recipe in Ducksoup.  Roasted pears, prosciutto, Moody Blue and some lightly toasted walnuts.

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

3D18F712-118B-4310-BA82-ED137818BE6D.thumb.jpeg.e3a782dfa63bf1ed58a0c07a2c13fb7d.jpeg

Adapted from a recipe in Ducksoup.  Roasted pears, prosciutto, Moody Blue and some lightly toasted walnuts.

Walnuts are nice.

Seriously, I haven't opened the book yet but now it like to try that recipe.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Whole Foods has chickens on sale.  Roasted at 450 degrees for about an hour in pre heated cast iron pan.  I love my CSO but prefer convection oven for the chicken.  Served with carrots steam baked in CSO.

IMG_0561.thumb.JPG.dbc4ac9bc49bb9db5912ba8a16cfd7f5.JPG

• Like 11

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Walnuts are nice.

Seriously, I haven't opened the book yet but now it like to try that recipe.

One of the nicest things about the book is that there are many recipes in designed to serve two.:)

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I love my CSO but prefer convection oven for the chicken.  Served with carrots steam baked in CSO.

I celebrate our differences.   I’m just more right than you are.xDxDxD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog