• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Went to my new favorite fish market this afternoon while doing some fill in work and had a shrimp po' boy and later went back and got some snapper and grouper to take home.   Had some of the snapper tonight with slaw

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 19

ED612DCC-32B5-473F-A8B4-C5A0AA6A8D77.thumb.jpeg.247b5fd02173f8e3cfb29f508c1e145e.jpeg

Bone-in Lamb Loin Chops (cooked sous vide at 135F for 3 hours, 15 minutes and finished on the gas grill) with Steamed Red Potatoes (tossed in Olive Oil with Ground Black Pepper, Kosher Salt and Granulated Garlic). There was a Side Salad, too.

78B06855-B64D-468D-90F1-7FB042F9A8D0.thumb.jpeg.9de1b6922335b1ce786fe935a7c5b345.jpeg

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Sirloin with chili/coffee sauce, roasted red cabbage wedge with bacon vinaigrette, mashed pots

The cabbage was the star. I wanted a bigger wedge.

016.thumb.jpg.0506586621475e7fe32403cc5efb011f.jpg

Looks delicious and a nice combo of ingredients.  My friend just did some roast green cabbage and, yes a great way to cook it.  But, bacon vinaigrette really would push it over the top.  Did you finish it with a little extra vinaigrette after cooking?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

The recipe is from Looneyspoons, which fellow Canadians might recognize.  It is called Jurassic Pork Roast and is my favourite recipe in the book.

This one?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Okanagancook Thanks!

I cooked the cabbage dry on a sheet pan with some oil. Then the slightly sweet bacon vinaigrette just before serving. I had forgotten how good it is. Been years. But it now its in the memory banks.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@Okanagancook Thanks!

I cooked the cabbage dry on a sheet pan with some oil. Then the slightly sweet bacon vinaigrette just before serving. I had forgotten how good it is. Been years. But it now its in the memory banks.

Do you bake it at 350?  How do you make the vinaigrette?  I still have  half of a cabbage in the fridge.  It is Savoy, not red, but I bet it too would taste mighty fine cooked your way.

4 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Do you bake it at 350?  How do you make the vinaigrette?  I still have  half of a cabbage in the fridge.  It is Savoy, not red, but I bet it too would taste mighty fine cooked your way.

Cabbage was 420F for about 20 minutes on a well- oiled sheet pan. Turned over at 10 minutes. Outer leaf was  removed due to desiccation after cooking.

Dressing was the fat from 2 pieces of bacon...two maybe three tbsp cider vinegar...1 tbsp light brown sugar..salt. Cooked a bit till thickened a little, then spooned over the cabbage. The bacon was chopped fine and put on top

• Like 4

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

Where do you get kumquats to skin?

I feel silly for answering, are you serious? I get them at the supermarket.

They must be rare in Southern Chester Co.?

They're like tiny oranges, they are in season now, at least in my part of the world.

35 minutes ago, Smokeydoke said:

@Nicolai they're gorgeous, too pretty to eat! What was used to decorate them?

Sorry no can do  ¬¬

These are Ceramic Glazed Donuts designed by a talented Korean artist Jae Yong Kim. 

His work attracted my wife's gaze during a visit to an Art gallery. She would like to adorn the kitchen wall next to the pink Smeg fridge - Paul Bocuse hanging plates....etc

She has a very non expensive taste, so says my sweet MOL........  9_9

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

I feel silly for answering, are you serious? I get them at the supermarket.

They must be rare in Southern Chester Co.?

They're like tiny oranges, they are in season now, at least in my part of the world.

Nary a kumquat in sight around here

• Sad 1

What a disaster of a day. First, at noon, I made some rice - or tried to. Half way through cooking the rice cooker died.  I've had it about fifteen years and it was a gift from a client, so no cash really lost, although I still had to buy a new one.  I mean when you eat rice every day, you need one.

20180325_121719.thumb.jpg.bfd13dd96597410f7abefb6dad97a378.jpg

Then dinner. This was an experiment. Which failed. It tasted great. but looked like something the cat sicked up. It was meant to be fish pieces in a laver and beer batter. I think I know what went wrong. The batter was too dry and perhaps the oil temperature could have been higher. Never mind, that is what experiments are for - finding out what not to do. I'll try again, but maybe not soon.

fish.thumb.jpg.384220bd88473ffa4becc20a99d529c2.jpg

To cheer myself up, I bought a new t-shirt.

5ab7a4fc53267_bbqt-shirt.thumb.jpg.3f44d96231384709a4a45eb8f31e5ab5.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

last night I made a bison burger  with a side salad for myself.

Right now there are 4 chicken thighs that were seared off and are in the oven with some shallot, garlic, leek, carrot and parsnips.  The skin that I removed will be finished off in the oven so it is totally crispy(John HATES any kind of fat or skin so I spare him that agony).  I'm going to also make some Hollandaise sauce to add to some cooked asparagus.  Also going to make sure there is some gluten free pasta for himself.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

Nary a kumquat in sight around here

I don't ever recall seeing a kumquat in the grocery store.  Just as well I don't like kumquats.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou