• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

21 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@David Ross, I looked at a number of recipes and most were similar with minor differences.  

I went this this one  from The Woks of Life website - Cantonese Soy Sauce Pan-Fried Noodles.  

I toasted some sesame seeds to garnish with, and I adjusted the seasoning slightly, adding more sesame oil and a little more soy sauce. 

And I used more green onion. 

I would definitely make this again.  Sooner rather than later.  Really enjoyed it.   

The fresh noodles are sold in just about every grocery store as @Okanagancook mentioned.  There are a number of brand names.   

5ab5101766be0_ChinesenoodlesMarch22nd2018.thumb.jpg.f3ae00e0afdca11f7e45ff82b68ea5a6.jpg

This is the brand I bought.  

I don't know if it's a Canada thing, but I have never seen fresh noodles like that in ANY grocery store in NYC!!  Jealous!!!

• Like 2

Breakfast for dinner again.  I overcooked the eggs a tad.  The hash browns were from dehydrated (I guess that's what you'd call them).  They came from Costco in an eight-pack of 16 oz cartons like small milk cartons.  Each one is supposed to be 7 servings, and you add water right in the carton.  Not wanting to make that much, I weighed out the carton into four equal portions on 30 grams apiece, packaged up three of them in sandwich bags for use later and re-hydrated the last portion.  It works out to 4 ozs of water.  They were pretty good actually.

ham-eggs3.jpg.07e18069d38659b539664ee688e7bb9b.jpg

• Like 13

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

7 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Breakfast for dinner again.  I overcooked the eggs a tad.  The hash browns were from dehydrated (I guess that's what you'd call them).  They came from Costco in an eight-pack of 16 oz cartons like small milk cartons.  Each one is supposed to be 7 servings, and you add water right in the carton.  Not wanting to make that much, I weighed out the carton into four equal portions on 30 grams apiece, packaged up three of them in sandwich bags for use later and re-hydrated the last portion.  It works out to 4 ozs of water.  They were pretty good actually.

My friends who have a cabin in E. Washington buy those Costco potatoes to use on their camp stove.  They're good and easy to prepare and there's no spoilage factor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

I looked up your ship

looks like a Cut above the rest.

I have not been on a Modern Cruise , i.e. a ship that ends up where it started.

I have been around the World twice on two very large  ( for then ) P&O ships .   they took you somewhere , and you got off.

all was included , maybe not wine.

some friends have , and they thought it was simply a Feeding Trough of below average food

your does not

can you tell us how the various dining rooms work ?

reservation ?  surchage ?  etc

many thanks

We booked a forward facing penthouse that comes with breakfast and lunch in a private dining room every day. It also includes the UBP (unlimited beverage package) and dinner for 2 at any of the specialty dining rooms with  a complimentary bottle of wine on 2 nights. Because we are "Platinum", which simply means we have earned enough points by booking several cruises over the years, we also get 3 additional nights of complimentary dinners at our choice of specialty restaurants. There is a service charge of something like $15 a day per person. The main dining rooms are quite nice as well. You don't need reservations and you don't have to sit with anyone else unless you choose to, and that is all included in the cruise, even if you don't book a suite. We like to stick with the "smaller" ships like the Pearl, the Sky, the Dawn etc. The great big newer ones just unload too many people all at once in the ports we like to visit. 

HC

• Like 5

17591CD5-0DE2-4E94-B064-57AE34CD3E4F.thumb.jpeg.54afd7e15a14f8bbd1255898188563f1.jpeg

A baked potato topped with some beef with lots and lots of onions and a salad of green things. The dressing discovered it’s not easy being green when you don’t have white balsamic vinegar on hand. It should have been green too but it was still tasty. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The last hurrah of my lovely little pork loin:

Dinner03242018.png

Four exceptional meals from this roast.  I may yet render the remaining fat.  That is, the fat I didn't already consume.  I shall miss it.  Possibly my only pork loin ever that was truly juicy.  Cooked and reheated in the CSO.  Applesauce and pounded mace not shown.

The wineglass was disgustingly unctuous so dessert was Whistlepig as a degreaser.  Tastes better than Dawn.

• Like 16

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The last hurrah of my lovely little pork loin:

Dinner03242018.png

Four exceptional meals from this roast.  I may yet render the remaining fat.  That is, the fat I didn't already consume.  I shall miss it.  Possibly my only pork loin ever that was truly juicy.  Cooked and reheated in the CSO.  Applesauce and pounded mace not shown.

The wineglass was disgustingly unctuous so dessert was Whistlepig as a degreaser.  Tastes better than Dawn.

Oh Jo, I wish I could have access to pork like that.  Must come to NJ again and go shopping with you!

• Like 1

I finally FINALLY had success making dinner rolls.  Mine are usually so hard and heavy that we use them as clay pigeons.  I don't know why they didn't brown well on the top--I used the CSO on the bread setting.  No matter--they were good.

Behind the pile of mashed potatoes is a turkey thigh also done in the CSO.

I need two CSO's.

IMG_4289.JPG.ae539015e2ab23647d284fc3562735c0.JPG

IMG_4291.jpg.2ac0e56fc7e9725d82bca69f7a10b70e.jpg

• Like 13

Belated St. Paddy's day dinner:  Corned beef cooked SV (wonderful texture and so tender), carrots (also cooked SV and the nuked with the cabbage), and cabbage, cooked in the microwave with the juice and spices from the corned beef cook.  The corned beef was soaked overnight in water to desalinate, then bagged with the spice packet and cooked SV at 180F for 10 hours.

corned-beef-cabbage-2.jpg.8d2c9e3beba4fc65ebe6f436c2072073.jpg

• Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

223E824A-AEFE-4634-8628-A121C86DA16E.thumb.jpeg.8d1f8429810ad8b3a0443e2e5bae3e43.jpeg

Chicken thigh cooked in the CSO and parsnips roasted in the BSO. 

(Cuisinart Steam Oven and Breville Smart Oven)

• Like 15

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Hand made egg noodles with smoked tofu, shrimps, mushrooms, cabbage, chili, scallions and cashew. Sauce based on soy sauce, with ginger, garlic, anise, fennel, cinnamon, pepper, sichuan pepper, orange juice.

IMG_20180302_154708.thumb.jpg.67c8df207f996932485304ab7bd6331d.jpg

• Like 17

~ Shai N.

29 minutes ago, shain said:

Hand made egg noodles with smoked tofu, shrimps, mushrooms, cabbage, chili, scallions and cashew. Sauce based on soy sauce, with ginger, garlic, anise, fennel, cinnamon, pepper, sichuan pepper, orange juice.

IMG_20180302_154708.thumb.jpg.67c8df207f996932485304ab7bd6331d.jpg

Your food always looks so beautiful.

• Like 1

There was a small pork shoulder marked down by 50% at my grocers yesterday so I snagged it and we had braised pork shoulder with apple gravy, green beans and sweet potatoes for dinner tonight.  The recipe is from Looneyspoons, which fellow Canadians might recognize.  It is called Jurassic Pork Roast and is my favourite recipe in the book.

20180324_193005.jpg

• Like 21