• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

:o No it didn't even cross my mind to do that!

But I did make your chips last night :)  They are EXCELLENT

Chips and tots and reubens

IMG_4279.JPG.e49593bc817b906378a699f9bf18a479.JPG

IMG_4280.JPG.6c0f927f1f95cb548a20bc91dba07d50.JPG

No mess in the air fryer.  Next time cooking burgers, try them in the fryer.  Anything you put in there will need monitoring the first time you do it.  Cooks surprisingly quickly.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

I must have about 12 different recipes for Asian-style fried chicken, my Korean recipes are my favorites.  But I'm always tinkering with different fry mixes and last night did a blend of cornstarch and Wondra flour.  I actually liked the delicate crust.  It was crispy, yet not has hard I would say had I used regular flour.  It was the same sort of texture you would get using rice flour.  I'm not a big fan of sweet dipping sauces, but this blend of orange juice, soy, ginger and sweet chili paste was pretty good.  All in all a good dinner dish.

003.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Cantonese style pan fried noodles.

5ab3b954d3024_CantoneseSoyFriedNoodlesMarch21st20181.thumb.jpg.a7d251d58f4eeab7ec63988ccca15d1f.jpg

We always order these noodles when we go for Dim Sum. Decided to make them last night for a simple dinner.

How delicious.  I'd love the recipe.  I've been craving that type of noodle dish.  My own attempts haven't been too good because I think I'm not using the right noodles.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Escargot, cream of mushroom soup, fillet of beef and lamb chops at Le Bistro on the NCL Pearl.

HC

P3210104.thumb.JPG.57e45f853cb5da8d899d2a97510bad4e.JPGP3210110.thumb.JPG.8cdee1312f21c3fd6fd01be4fa8981a5.JPGP3210115.thumb.JPG.deacfa2a0c124700a1438468dae74fce.JPGP3210112.thumb.JPG.ea9fbfbce5cd7cac1c805c956c1cffc1.JPG

That all looks wonderful. Will you share what is the medium the Escargot is in please. D

Edited by Doofa
Added a missed word (log)

On 3/21/2018 at 4:30 PM, Ann_T said:

Thanks @rotuts.  Although I do make my own pasta for ravioli, that wasn't the case here.  You might have missed  where I mentioned in my post that for this recipe I use Wonton wrappers.   The original recipe calls for Wonton wrappers and that is what I have always used. 

This is one of the best "hacks" I ever tried.  I've never made my own pasta (ashamed to admit it, since I've owned a pasta roller for about 5 years - it is still pristine), but I use wonton and eggroll wrappers as substitutes all the time.  For ravioli, lasagna and cannelloni.  About 10 years ago (wow!!!)  @David Ross  gave me a recipe for Meat Filled Cannelloni that used the wrappers for pasta and I was hooked.  BTW, David - I still use that recipe and we love it.  Using the wrappers and the small amount of chicken livers in the filling were revelatory! 

• Like 4

I use wonton and jiazo wrappers from the market regularly for ravioli and cappelletti etc. I do sometimes make my own pasta, but usually only when I have guests - too much trouble when just making a few ravioli for myself.

Sometimes, I use them to make wontons and jiaozi, too!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, Doofa said:

That all looks wonderful. Will you share what is the medium the Escargot is in please. D

This is purely a guess, but the base is butter, heavy with garlic and a dry sherry flambé with Romano cheese added after the alcohol is gone, then combined with the snails, in that special dish and returned to the oven until bubbly hot. Crusty bread is a MUST with this dish!

HC

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

This is purely a guess, but the base is butter, heavy with garlic and a dry sherry flambé with Romano cheese added after the alcohol is gone, then combined with the snails, in that special dish and returned to the oven until bubbly hot. Crusty bread is a MUST with this dish!

HC

After the alcohol is gone I usually go to bed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner at Cagney's Steak House on the NCL Pearl tonight. Deb had a rib eye steak and I had an absolutely fantastic bison strip steak, rare. We picked from all the available sides, and ended up with crab salad,  roasted mushrooms, sautéed spinach, garlic mashed potatoes and just could not address them all. I hate to waste food, but also hate to leave the table feeling too full.

HC

P3220129.thumb.JPG.ba949e9dbe2939ccb05120e3ac6fd15b.JPG

P3220125.thumb.JPG.acdde2a4baf5dac6cf543b4d5d5776b9.JPG

P3220131.thumb.JPG.b83d1008a080cd6b6111cf659ef9a07f.JPG

P3220127.thumb.JPG.2496267637ced9f53b3c686a3f30d647.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 16

@HungryChris

I looked up your ship

looks like a Cut above the rest.

I have not been on a Modern Cruise , i.e. a ship that ends up where it started.

I have been around the World twice on two very large  ( for then ) P&O ships .   they took you somewhere , and you got off.

all was included , maybe not wine.

some friends have , and they thought it was simply a Feeding Trough of below average food

your does not

can you tell us how the various dining rooms work ?

reservation ?  surchage ?  etc

many thanks

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I use wonton and jiazo wrappers from the market regularly for ravioli and cappelletti etc. I do sometimes make my own pasta, but usually only when I have guests - too much trouble when just making a few ravioli for myself.

Sometimes, I use them to make wontons and jiaozi, too!

@liuzhou  Can you please tell me the difference between the two?  Is one thinner than the other?  There seem to be a few different wrapper types and I have always wondered what the differences were.  Thank you.

16 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@liuzhou  Can you please tell me the difference between the two?  Is one thinner than the other?  There seem to be a few different wrapper types and I have always wondered what the differences were.  Thank you.

Wonton wrappers tend to be thinner and square, whereas jiaozi wrappers are slightly thicker and circular.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

18 hours ago, David Ross said:

How delicious.  I'd love the recipe.  I've been craving that type of noodle dish.  My own attempts haven't been too good because I think I'm not using the right noodles.

@David Ross, I looked at a number of recipes and most were similar with minor differences.  

I went this this one  from The Woks of Life website - Cantonese Soy Sauce Pan-Fried Noodles.  

I toasted some sesame seeds to garnish with, and I adjusted the seasoning slightly, adding more sesame oil and a little more soy sauce. 

And I used more green onion. 

I would definitely make this again.  Sooner rather than later.  Really enjoyed it.   

The fresh noodles are sold in just about every grocery store as @Okanagancook mentioned.  There are a number of brand names.   

5ab5101766be0_ChinesenoodlesMarch22nd2018.thumb.jpg.f3ae00e0afdca11f7e45ff82b68ea5a6.jpg

This is the brand I bought.  

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

This is one of the best "hacks" I ever tried.  I've never made my own pasta (ashamed to admit it, since I've owned a pasta roller for about 5 years - it is still pristine), but I use wonton and eggroll wrappers as substitutes all the time.  For ravioli, lasagna and cannelloni.  About 10 years ago (wow!!!)  @David Ross  gave me a recipe for Meat Filled Cannelloni that used the wrappers for pasta and I was hooked.  BTW, David - I still use that recipe and we love it.  Using the wrappers and the small amount of chicken livers in the filling were revelatory! 

Oh that's fantastic and Yes, I too still make the recipe.  Which I might add came from my cherished Time-Life foods of the world series, this being from "The Foods of Italy."  Although in the book they of course didn't use wonton wrappers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1