• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

@Ann_T

I admire people who make their own ravioli 

so many more interesting fillings if you think about it.   and fresh homemade pasta is so much better than purchjased

I used to make them

but Sloth took over.

one of my favorites was left over BBQ CkWings   ( I made a zillion on purpose )

just remove the meat and skin , chop and put in a ravioli !

the Rx for those wings came from an old book I can't find any more :

Frog Commissary Cookbook

this one :

https://www.amazon.com/Frog-Commissary-Cookbook-Steven-Poses/dp/0940159732

it had about 16 things you mixed together and soaked the wings in.

sign

• Like 3

More oral surgery for John yesterday.  When the bleeding stopped he grazed..... some mashed potatoes with minced chicken and carrots in chicken gravy; thinned out sweet potato soup,  So Delicious chocolate dipped vanilla bars...........

IF we don't lose power his dinner will be a fresh salmon cakes.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thanks @rotuts.  Although I do make my own pasta for ravioli, that wasn't the case here.  You might have missed  where I mentioned in my post that for this recipe I use Wonton wrappers.   The original recipe calls for Wonton wrappers and that is what I have always used. 

• Like 1

32024E8A-5A57-487D-966C-5B2BFFBF92D9.thumb.jpeg.15ab73cb2305a4f37d02f9d1d2e502dd.jpeg

Salad with Baby Lettuces and Arugula from my garden, English Cucumber, Cherub Tomatoes, Button Mushrooms, Onion, Celery and Sheep’s Milk Feta. Dressed with Balsamic Vinaigrette just before tossing. Black Olives and Unsalted Roasted Sunflower Seeds were added to my portion. My husband added Garlic Croutons to his portion.

C6A65C40-CFFB-4BDA-AB29-964DA9A2C046.thumb.jpeg.dc7fedd837285a9c49c50bb74fba6f02.jpeg

Boneless Beef Ribeye, seasoned with Ground Black Pepper and Kosher Salt, cooked sous vide at 129F for an hour, then finished on the gas grill.

FA5F152A-B1C3-44BC-BD42-56880D93EACD.thumb.jpeg.7956194dbc2373d7cc843516a511b99f.jpeg

Steak served with Steamed Red Potatoes and Garlic tossed in Olive Oil, Thyme Leaves, Flat-leaf Parsley, Ground Black Pepper, Kosher Salt and Granulated Garlic.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 18
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

32024E8A-5A57-487D-966C-5B2BFFBF92D9.thumb.jpeg.15ab73cb2305a4f37d02f9d1d2e502dd.jpeg

Salad with Baby Lettuces and Arugula from my garden, English Cucumber, Cherub Tomatoes, Button Mushrooms, Onion, Celery and Sheep’s Milk Feta. Dressed with Basalmic Viniagrette just before tossing. Black Olives and Unsalted Roasted Sunflower Seeds were added to my portion. My husband added Garlic Croutons to his portion.

C6A65C40-CFFB-4BDA-AB29-964DA9A2C046.thumb.jpeg.dc7fedd837285a9c49c50bb74fba6f02.jpeg

Boneless Beef Ribeye, seasoned with Ground Black Pepper and Kosher Salt, cooked sous vide at 129F for an hour, then finished on the gas grill.

FA5F152A-B1C3-44BC-BD42-56880D93EACD.thumb.jpeg.7956194dbc2373d7cc843516a511b99f.jpeg

Steak served with Steamed Red Potatoes and Garlic tossed in Olive Oil, Thyme Leaves, Flat-leaf Parsely, Ground Black Pepper, Kosher Salt and Granulated Garlic.

Your potatoes look delicious!  And the steak ain’t that bad either.  Thankfully no Brussels sproutsO.o

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mm84321 said:

Tonight was carrot and ginger soup, roasted chicken with avocado salsa and pink rice.

Pink rice?  Does that mean with tomato water?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Today is not a work day.*  It will be a while before I can make it to the store.  And I had a bunch of cilantro to use up and not much else.  So I made a pot of Lobio, Georgian beans stewed with herbs, Tasting Georgia (p399).

Lobio03222018.png

This is far different from the Lobio I posted previously.  This recipe is from Racha and is attributed to Izolda Dvali.  Remarkably there is not one walnut.  The Rancho Gordo cranberry beans were perfect.  Possibly the best beans I have made.

Served with sliced pork and bread.  Much wine.

The pirates in Seattle are now demanding full price for Tasting Georgia.  When I first thought of buying a copy it was all but half that.

*for which my colleagues will thank me.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Did you cook the sausages in the newly acquired air fryer?:D

:o No it didn't even cross my mind to do that!

But I did make your chips last night :)  They are EXCELLENT

Chips and tots and reubens

IMG_4279.JPG.e49593bc817b906378a699f9bf18a479.JPG

IMG_4280.JPG.6c0f927f1f95cb548a20bc91dba07d50.JPG

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

Pork cutlets, apple sauce, boiled potatoes and fresh, wild, flower shiitake (生鲜花菇 shēng xiān huā gū).

dinner.thumb.jpg.42a3c739ead46318f2623bcac5bc91bf.jpg

The apple sauce was the prime motivator for the dish as a friend sent me a gift of 50 apples from her in-laws' orchard. Trying every way to get through them.

The flower shiitake were de-stemmed  and drizzled with olive oil on the gill side, treated to a few grains of sea salt, left to sit for ten minutes, then microwaved on full power for one minute.

shiitake.thumb.jpg.6e4068dd7ac6ee1982c36abe1151faf5.jpg

Fresh flower shiitake before cooking

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

23 hours ago, rotuts said:

Frog Commissary Cookbook

this one :

https://www.amazon.com/Frog-Commissary-Cookbook-Steven-Poses/dp/0940159732

it had about 16 things you mixed together and soaked the wings in.

sign

Frog was a groundbreaking restaurant in Phila.  Good food, carefully prepared, novel recipes...unheard-of in the city in the 70s.  I think it preceded Georges Perrier and was really the vanguard of reforming the mediocre Philly food that was served at places like Bookbinder's.

Their carrot cake was a local wonder.

yep.   and I was able to eat there.  

which is how I know about the book.

decided to buy a used copy  " very good ' for 6 bucks

go to amazon above and click on used

well worth it.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2