• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Cuba!!!  Can't wait to see what you eat!!!  Have fun!!!

I so second this!!!  This is one place I really, really want to visit.   Any paradors on the horizon?   Or a visit to the ice cream shops?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

31E9AC9E-B9E1-4AAA-890B-09B42D6DC1FA.thumb.jpeg.bf4cd43020e77452ce95e9de966882d9.jpeg

Just a simple salad. (Eggs cooked in the Instant Pot.)

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night's dinner.

5ab06d0c5ab2f_HoneyGarlicChickenMarch18th2018.thumb.jpg.5f52ccad5ae9199714d4a3c28b0eb7d1.jpg

Honey Garlic Chicken

St. Patrick's Day dinner. Something simple on a work night.

5ab06c9d9460d_PotatoLeekSoupMarch17th2018.thumb.jpg.80076d60233e7bde511113ffd7b89e48.jpg

Put a pot of Potato Leek soup on to simmer when I got in from work 

5ab06cb30ba2a_SodaBreadMarch17th20182.thumb.jpg.7fb678a8b70bb2f93324a0980e9b9121.jpg

and baked two small Soda Breads. A Bacon, Cheddar and Green Onion version for Moe and I and the same for Matt minus the bacon.

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

A lovely roast @chefmd helped me to pick out.  By the way, the butcher was right, there were bones in it.

RoastRaw03202018.png

As far as I can recall this was my first ever roast with crackling.

RoastCooked03202018.png

Prepared in the CSO by the instruction manual.

Dinner03202018.png

Accompanied by applesauce and freshly pounded mace.  Kilogram of bread and liter of MR.  Eventually I had to pause for ice cream, whipped cream, and preserved walnuts.

• Like 21
  • Delicious 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

What is the green herbery? Looks lovely.

Thanks, fresh spring* rosemary.  May be eaten raw.

*the rosemary bush is optimistic.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks, fresh spring* rosemary.  May be eaten raw.

*the rosemary bush is optimistic.

Thanks, my first idea was rosemary, but it looked too green.  Spring rosemary. I've grown rosemary in the past, but never thought to use it at that stage.

Believe it or not, I know a woman called Rosemary Winter! I don't think they are related.  :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Sunday, roasted rack of lamb with twice baked potato, cauliflower cheese, and spinach

lamb.thumb.jpg.06527a6948385e02f52da41d8b9f27c0.jpg

Last night, a quick stir fry to use up all the bits of vegetables, leftover rice, and chicken I found in my fridge

5ab0f322efc42_chickenandrice.thumb.jpg.38e176d3a848103dffcb765a077ae39a.jpg

• Like 19
  • Delicious 1

Tonight,  I made that ancient British dish dating back to prehistory and loved by the Picts and Gaels in their dozens.

Spag Bol

spag1.thumb.jpg.38c2a0a601d12f80ec245c54fa34639e.jpg

Beef, tomato, garlic, onion, extra virgin olive oil from the olive plantations of Auchtermuchty harvested by Siobhan , the only virgin in Auchermuchty, and don't forget the secret, final ingredient introduced to the UK before it was U or K by none other than Sean Connery's great, great, great ad nauseum grandfather, Williiam McConnery Esq., known to all as Silly Willy.  I refer, of course, to Star Anise or as they are otherwise known, haggis droppings. In the Scots Gaelic this is called umami.

Spag(hetti) , as everyone knows, was invented by the younger brother of the famous Marco, Mr. Dave Polo an itinerant Italian ice-cream vendor in Edinburgh. Hetti was his wife. The origins of "spag" are lost in the mists of Glencoe. Dave also invented a game in which upper class twits ride around on horses missing balls. The players miss the balls. The horses are reproductively intact. Unfortunately, so are a few of the players.

Served with a sprinkling of Gran Biraghi, a cheese-like substance named after the grandmother of the notorious highland chieftain Biraghi, which in the Pictish language means, "I'd prefer a hamburger".

To the right of my plate you may see a Microplane, an ancient Scottish weapon designed to inflict near maximum pain on the enemy - mainly the English.  For maximun pain we played bagpipe music.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 19

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Last night was Slow Cooker Cranberry Pork Roast, red cabbage and green beans.  The flavor and ease of the pork was great. It was also VERY tender. But it was a little dry, as slow cooker meats sometimes are. I’m thinking that it is because of the low-fat nature of a pork loin. The sauce helped the dryness, though.  Corn muffins would have been nice with this. 

DSCN8111.JPG.ca4e0a6c52f15fb4b83d49f833ae0689.JPG

Served with red cabbage and green beans.

• Like 11

15 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A lovely roast @chefmd helped me to pick out.  By the way, the butcher was right, there were bones in it.

RoastRaw03202018.png

As far as I can recall this was my first ever roast with crackling.

RoastCooked03202018.png

Prepared in the CSO by the instruction manual.

Dinner03202018.png

Accompanied by applesauce and freshly pounded mace.  Kilogram of bread and liter of MR.  Eventually I had to pause for ice cream, whipped cream, and preserved walnuts.

Oh yes, I recognize that roast.  It looks good before but absolute gorgeous after the cooking!  And that crackling skin...

• Like 4

Dinner last night was a package of Yakisoba frozen noodle/veggie mix (Costco), thawed.  Added mushrooms, green beans, cabbage and chicken with a little extra soy and hoisin sauce and stir-fried in my new Helen Chen wok which I am really liking a lot.

yakisoba.jpg.4609d4328d4f90c6736d940af053f3ad.jpg

• Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

New York strip steak, cooked SV then seared, with green beans cooked ALV in butter.  Served with salad and several glasses of a nice Lodi Zin.  Homemade peanut butter/caramel ice cream for dessert (dairy free of course).

ny-gb.jpg.c4966168c8be561a1f40845aeaa7b618.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

We had lamb dumplings; eggplant from M. Clarke's Dinner Book; leftover duck with mandarin pancake.  Not a lot of veggies......tomorrow.  We pigged out on Korean Food for lunch so all and all a stellar day!:smile:

DSC02343.thumb.jpg.4c193422372cb7b43c6f62a9cf556dae.jpgDSC02344.thumb.jpg.779e783f0620b36b679826fb520030d4.jpgDSC02342.thumb.jpg.5c9a8aaba6068cd919904effa01c53f9.jpg

• Like 17