• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

I saw an oven recipe for Baby back ribs by Alton Brown today.  It had a rub, mop and sauce that looked interesting.  I never thought I'd ever do ribs in the oven, especially not on a nice day, when my smoker is ready and I have a stack or apple wood but I decided to try the recipe as written first.  That is up until the end.  The sauce didn't thicken so I added some KC Masterpiece which I don't care much for but my son likes it. In the end,  I decided I like my old way better.  I did not plan ahead to make Brussels sprouts, I just got some on a whim a while back and decided I'd better do something with them before it was too late.  Same with a very small amount of broccoli which i threw in as well.

20180315_174909.thumb.jpg.06ef2de56b2f4b62aac7da9d6a9db0ae.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Tonight's dinner.  That blob you see is a mango salsa which we like to have with fish.  Only thing is, I didn't have the jalapeno jelly the recipe called for so I used jalapeno haskapa jam.  Worked well. We hadn't had couscous in a long time so scratched that itch as well.

The second meal is one we had the other night called beef and broccoli bowl except I used chicken.

20180315_195719.jpg

20180313_194531.jpg

• Like 12

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, KennethT said:

After washing, I spin it dry in a salad spinner.  Then I take a few cloves of garlic and give them a rough chop.  In a wide pan (if I had a wok, I'd use it but I don't), I fry the garlic in a little bit of grapeseed oil on high heat - just for a few seconds until you can smell it.  I add a few grinds of Vietnamese peppercorns (that's what I've been using lately) and then dump in the bok choi.  I flip it around until they're all coated with the oil - maybe about 30 seconds or so.  Then, if I'm lazy, I'll add about 1/4C water with maybe 1/4t salt mixed in... if I'm not lazy or want something a little better, I'll use about 1/4C chicken stock that I've simmered garlic and ginger in and then froze.  In addition to the 1/4t salt, I might add about 1/8t MSG.  Anyway, once the liquid is added, I'll stir it around for about 30 seconds and it's done.

Thanks.  Tonight was my first attempt at stir fried bok choy.  No Vietnamese peppercorns here, Cambodian is the best that I could muster.

I wept as the whole head of baby bok choy cooked down to next to nothing.  Exquisitely flavored nothing, but almost nothing nonetheless.

Dinner03162018.png

I don't miss meat once in a while but I am not used to going to bed hungry.  Still, I would have been delighted to have been served this dish in a restaurant.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It's Friday time for a Boeuf Bourguignon simmering gently...........

- Mise en Place

Pearl Onions - Fresh Thyme - Fresh Parsley - Garlic - Carrots - Champignons - Beef cubes - Bacon (we used Boar smoked dried fillet slices for a stronger flavour) and of course a bottle of wine........in the sense that the bottled was consumed and not sure whether the major part went behind the collar or behind the pot  :D

A French friend Chef advised me long time ago to use the best wine for cooking as it enhances and affects the dish flavour.

The downside of his advise, was the way to enjoy Boeuf Bourguignon is the second day.

His words:' Laisser mijoter pour l’intensité du goût et pour mieux apprécier le lendemain."

He is so right.

- Before

tlsOrhA.jpg

- Simmering

CvbpUT0.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks.  Tonight was my first attempt at stir fried bok choy.  No Vietnamese peppercorns here, Cambodian is the best that I could muster.

I wept as the whole head of baby bok choy cooked down to next to nothing.  Exquisitely flavored nothing, but almost nothing nonetheless.

Dinner03162018.png

I don't miss meat once in a while but I am not used to going to bed hungry.  Still, I would have been delighted to have been served this dish in a restaurant.

Looks great, but yes, they wilt down to nothing.  Usually, for a side dish, I will make 2-3 heads for the two of us, depending on sides.  If it was a main course, I'd double it easily.

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner03162018.png

Looks great, but yes, they wilt down to nothing.  Usually, for a side dish, I will make 2-3 heads for the two of us, depending on sides.  If it was a main course, I'd double it easily.

• Like 1

We have all heard of meat-less Mondays. How about we have a flora-less Thursday? 

(Plant-less doesn’t have even a hint of the necessary alliteration.) :D

203D4B2F-E603-490D-A189-3FD5F21D8C7B.thumb.jpeg.a9447b6c25e368416072666e4baa5e48.jpeg

Very small ribeye that was on sale for only $7. It was cooked sous vide for 30 minutes at ~130°F  before being seared.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

corned beef hash.......and I have to get a better pan to get a better crust ......

oh, well.  I will survive 

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

18 minutes ago, mm84321 said:

Roasted Brussels sprouts, burrata cheese, bread, and a glass of red wine.

Just a glass?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Once again the Man made the meal...I prepped the grilled romaine and asparagus...while he sous vide'ed the pork chops with lemon slices, salt and pepper and garlic and a pat of butter. 57 degrees 3 hours then quickly grilled on the bbq with grilled lemon halves...so SO SO good! 

29314040_10155304716082703_5750857206710927360_n.jpg

29249387_10155304716012703_3578444181250506752_n.jpg

29261481_10155304716007703_6058366703211905024_n.jpg

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

KiI have a sinus infection.  Dinner last night called for comfort food and a guilty pleasure:

DSCN8110.JPG.d7dc93051f6ff18300bd3b4ee408bee8.JPG

Hamburger Helper.  Broccoli and salad, to make it slightly more healthy!:$

DSCN8109.JPG.ce35ce50cbf9c8170ec4026dbda1b836.JPG

Kim

I was going to say chili mac

or was it the salads:$

Feel better soon!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee