• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

12 hours ago, KennethT said:

Here is the Nyonya chicken curry meal that I showed in the "one of" topic -

I am really, really hoping you wrote down the recipe and would be willing to share it. It does look so good. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am really, really hoping you wrote down the recipe and would be willing to share it. It does look so good. 

Unfortunately I didn't write things down, nor did I really measure anything!  But I do remember what I did, generally speaking.  I guess I should put it in RecipEgullet, right?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Unfortunately I didn't write things down, nor did I really measure anything!  But I do remember what I did, generally speaking.  I guess I should put it in RecipEgullet, right?

That would work for me. And it might even work for you in the future. I often find myself searching for my own dishes on eG. xD

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

That would work for me. And it might even work for you in the future. I often find myself searching for my own dishes on eG. xD

Ha! I've done that too!

Maybe I should change my user name to Sieve Head.

• Haha 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Last night's dinner.

5aa93b7adee9d_PrawnEtouffeeMarch13th2018.thumb.jpg.069df84bb63578f5a299073a1766a0c1.jpg

Prawn Etouffee

5aa93b011ccc5_WontonsMarch12th20181.thumb.jpg.31899386b5fa398d1c746bfa0468659a.jpg

Made wontons on Monday.  

5aa93b29b5ba1_WontonsMarch12th20182.thumb.jpg.9e4ff78d9188e9fc0a6a7ed5d5ddbf24.jpg

Dinner - Wontons in a chili broth.

Sunday night's dinner.  

5aa93a2767cbd_RigatoniwithSausageandOlivesMarch11th2018.thumb.jpg.cbb3aea8e80725cf0fa38862e2c0d2dc.jpg

Rigatoni with Italian sausage and Kalamata Olives.

Ham dinner Saturday night.  I had the ham ready before leaving for work, so Moe could put it in the oven and it would be almost

cooked by the time I got home.  

5aa939d2d11fa_HamDinnerMarch10th2018.thumb.jpg.2301d26f3c15ca4037dca9f2b65173ff.jpg

Served with potato gratin, brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes with caramelized onions. 

• Like 22
  • Delicious 7

11 hours ago, weinoo said:

11 hours ago, weinoo said:

I pulled the bird from the oven as soon as the breast was done to my liking, waited a few minutes, cut it up, and then put the leg/thighs back in for another 20 minutes.  I find it near impossible to roast a whole chicken (w/o a rotisserie) so that all parts come out cooked to my liking.  Significant Eater doesn't mind overcooked white meat, but I do. 

I almost roasted it on a vertical roaster, but instead just did it in a roasting pan, along with russets cut into eights. I may go back to the Julia method, which starts the bird on one side, flips to the other side after 20 minutes, and then goes breast up for the final cook...a bit of a pain in the ass, but getting those thighs started before the breast meat might be the answer.  Or perhaps browning the bird on each leg/thigh before putting it in to roast.

DH does not mind over cooked white meat as well.  So I cook dark meat to my liking, the breast be damned.  And we live happily ever after.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've been having this discussion this week with my cousins about our family memories of fried oysters.  Their maternal Grandfather used to take us to dinner at the well-known Portland restaurant "Dan & Louis Oyster Bar."  The place has been in business since 1919 and I can still remember their delicious fried oysters.  The Wachsmuth family actually had an oyster farm down on the Oregon Coast at Yaquina Bay and they harvested little beauties that were perfect for frying.  Well, I'm sure I'll never duplicate their recipe, but inspired by the family discussion, and my recent foray into frying evoked by our Schnitzel Cook-Off, https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156204-eg-cook-off-76-consider-the-schnitzel/?page=9&tab=comments#comment-2145244, tonight I made up some fried oysters.

These are the "extra small" oysters we get in fresh, in jars, from Pacific Seafood in Bay City Oregon.  Dipped in flour and corn starch that I seasoned with a Cajun mix, then into beaten egg, then gently tossed in panko.  A shallow fry at 350 in canola oil, then on a bed of arugula.  I never put fried foods on a napkin to drain nor on a plate.  I just detest a "soggy bottom" so the greens elevate them a bit and soak any oyster juices.  Then lemon, and a quick tartar sauce of mayonnaise, chopped capers and chopped Kosher dill pickle.  Delicious.

007 - Copy.JPG

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Tonight's dinner: baked potatoes with chili on top, cheddar cheese and creme fraiche, mixed veggies with umeboshi vinegar and nutritional yeast on the side

29020250_10209184782375078_1853673220_n.jpg

Edited by Dante (log)
  • Like 10

When I saw @liuzhou's Rou Jia Mo they looked so good I just had to make them again. They aren't as pretty as his, but they sure did taste good. I served them with some fried rice (with no soy sauce).

20180314_180843(1).thumb.jpg.7ed10da18e7e930102099abcfe1b4c3c.jpg

For dessert, the housemates got brownies with whipped cream and chocolate sauce. I was too full for brownies.  He's right, one Rou Jia Mo is never enough.

20180311_202335(1).thumb.jpg.de406a90598dca86510850eea1d70782.jpg

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I think I kind of got carried away on the size. Mine were as big as a good-sized hamburger. Next time I'll try making them a little smaller.

Mine are that size. I've just never managed to eat one and go away happy. Unlike with hamburgers.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Mine are that size. I've just never managed to eat one and go away happy. Unlike with hamburgers.

If it were just me, I could have eaten all four of them by myself. I love sandwiches and these are outstanding. But I have to take the preference of my housemate into account, too. He doesn't like large portions of meat and it is for a very good reason. He was raised in the countryside of Nicaragua during the Sandinista/Contra war. Periodically, the armies of both sides would come through the communities and kill their livestock. Then they would give the ‘bounty’ back to the people saying “ Look how much we care for you. Look at the meat we’ve provided for you.” Because they were poor people, they didn't have the means to preserve the meat and everything had to be eaten rapidly to keep from losing it. To this day, large portions of meat just bring back bad memories. That's why, in my postings, dinner portions are usually small and the dessert portions that you don't see are usually pretty large.

• Sad 4

On 3/14/2018 at 6:35 AM, weinoo said:

I find it near impossible to roast a whole chicken (w/o a rotisserie) so that all parts come out cooked to my liking.  Significant Eater doesn't mind overcooked white meat, but I do. 

I've used this method for years and it always seems to turn out well for me. The only thing that I do differently is to put the chicken on a rack and put about 2 in. of water in the pan. If the bird is exceptionally large I usually have to add a little water.