• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

If I saw snakes (especially live ones) in the grocery store I'd have to head for the door, just like I did when I first saw TONGUE!!!!   And BRAINS!

I live a sheltered life.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Chicken Korma from Indian Instant Pot cookbook.

Having all the necessary spices and other ingredients, the dish was easy to put together.

Loved the aroma, the full-bodied flavours,  and the bit of delayed heat.
Eaten with basmati rice cooked with cumin seeds and the green cardamom, cauliflower and peas, and a"salad" of avocado, tomato, and radishes.
Kitchen still smells lovely!

IP Chicken Korma 2631.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

7 hours ago, weedy said:

Cheese enchiladas. 

Guajillo Sauce. 

Roasted red pepper sauce. 

Guacamole

00C66711-EB3A-4500-BD4B-3849A88BC0AB.jpeg

Hi weedy,

Your enchiladas look really good to me. It looks like you have hit my sweet spot of melted cheese, but not so much that it all oozes out of the tortillas. What kind of cheese(s) did you use.

Cheese enchiladas are my favorite kind. I like to put a little sliced green onion inside the tortilla with the cheese. I only have (real) white American cheese and Ole Queso Dip cheese that I had bought to compare the two, but I'm still curious as to what you used. I also have Cheddar, as always, but enchiladas is one place I don't like Cheddar. Many of the restaurants that serve enchiladas around here make them with Cheddar. 

I will also have to make my tortillas from masa mix, but that will just make them better. You have inspired me to make this dish soon.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

Cheese and potato pierogi from Aldi. I am not a pierogi afficinado, but Deb grew up with them and liked these. This time of year, asparagus is everywhere and dirt cheap. While I wait for mine to come up, I have no problem enjoying the bounty of others

HC

IMG_2325.thumb.JPG.eb7ddfd4e13e0ca6c260b0b7cab3d6a8.JPGIMG_2326.thumb.JPG.ca8103c95e4573ee2c9aab8721b1df9c.JPG

• Like 13

Late Georgian repast after baking bread:

Dinner02272018.png

Tabaka, Lobio, and Ispanakis Pkhali with pomegranate, served with green Tkemali.  Not to be obtuse:  spiced chicken, beans with walnuts, spinach with walnuts, ubiquitous sour plum sauce (not shown).  Bread of course.

Wine was Otskhanuri Sapere made by Gogita Makaridze from Terjola.  Stands up well to Tkemali.

Now halfway about the globe sipping a glass of Del Maguey Tobala.  Seldom do I indulge due to ruinous expense.  But dinner was well worth it.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

29 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

That confused me. I thought you were referring to the early 1800s in England and was wondering what they ate then.

Then I scrolled down.

I have to admit that when Georgian food was mentioned in other posts I had to google. The food looks wonderful - disapointed at the lack of wigs. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I have to admit that when Georgian food was mentioned in other posts I had to google. The food looks wonderful

The stupid thing is that I have been to Georgia (the east European one) but still didn't make the connection. The food is indeed wonderful as is their wine.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Late Georgian repast

I have to admit that your Georgian food does look good. My introduction to Georgian food was not all that good. Years ago, I lived next door to a woman from Georgia who shared top billing with my ex MIL as the world's worst cook. She used to bring me treats and tidbits all the time and I'm convinced to this day it was only because even her dog wouldn't eat them. The reason I thought this was because my dog wouldn't eat them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Tonight, I've gone Irish.

20180227_200355.thumb.jpg.293df14bcd9609f22ec664aadb0335bf.jpg

Pork cutlets, spinach and rough champ. I like my mashed spuds to have some texture.  I'm not a baby and even have most of my own teeth!

20180227_200339.thumb.jpg.27c70df09608f3ccb2953cc2ff784281.jpg

After taking the pictures,  I added a spoonful of that old Irish national condiment, Dijon mustard.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Tonight, I've gone Irish.

You had me a bit confused about the Irish reference. I didn't see anything exclusively Irish about your meal. It looks almost exactly like one of the meals that I grew up on in the Midwest. Even the potatoes. We just called them Mother’s lumpy mashed potatoes. She always said that she hated that pasty pap that other people made. Then I realized it had to be the mustard. Having just finished a fascinating article about Mrs. Clements (sorry, the only decent  reference I could find on the internet) and her Durham mustard I just thought you had your mustards mixed until I found this one. I presume that yours is the one made with the fine Irish whiskey.

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

You had me a bit confused about the Irish reference. I didn't see anything exclusively Irish about your meal. It looks almost exactly like one of the meals that I grew up on in the Midwest. Even the potatoes. We just called them Mother’s lumpy mashed potatoes. She always said that she hated that pasty pap that other people made. Then I realized it had to be the mustard. Having just finished a fascinating article about Mrs. Clements (sorry, the only decent  reference I could find on the internet) and her Durham mustard I just thought you had your mustards mixed until I found this one. I presume that yours is the one made with the fine Irish whiskey.

No. The Irish reference was to me calling the mashed potato and spring onion/scallion "champ". Nothing to do with the very French mustard I used.

5a9573981dafc_ironyalert1.jpg.51c6faddbc79ae1a7bd43264ba1b9271.jpg

• Like 1

@weinoo  Your pasta looks amazing.  

@Ann_T  Your pastas also look amazing.  As do your tacos.  As do your quail which has inspired me to thaw out the rest of ours for tonight

@Anna N  I want your pork and apples right now for breakfast

@weedy  Dying over your cheese enchiladas

Honestly, every single one of the meals shown look so good.  

Oysters and shrimp with shiitake mushrooms over homemade pasta

IMG_4157.jpg.78a220016f5fc2a4c11040770715aa3f.jpg

IMG_4158.JPG.b3ba97a31cc7649ade2ec8f6b67c67e3.JPG

• Like 9

I've been rather busy with an out-of-town guest, plus my housemate, plus his girlfriend who is staying with us until she finds an apartment. We've had rather an around the world tour of food but I just haven't had time to post it all.

The first night we had the corn beef that I made. It didn't turned out as red as I wanted it but the flavor and the texture were marvelous. I served it traditionally with cabbage, carrots and potatoes.

20180220_183746(1).thumb.jpg.6e194b9d05635a49f3d7b82ec63f84fb.jpg

20180220_184054(1).thumb.jpg.24a5c6ea0316e85e0ee97fc72c71cad9.jpg

The next night we had plain old American hamburgers stuffed with Jack cheese and melted Monterey jack on top. I served it with a good old Caesar salad from Tijuana. (Not shown).

20180221_180603(1).thumb.jpg.334fc2ff975b28ba4befc6d9e1bcdf0c.jpg

Then we went to Italy for some minestrone soup made in the IP. (Previously posted).

The next night was Chinese night. With barbecued Chinese ribs,

20180223_183119(1).thumb.jpg.5c37c2001bbbf99840947fb69fe5f347.jpg

Stir fried vegetables with sauce,

20180223_183216(1).thumb.jpg.0b8fe0e890e8f06ca51065e1465978d3.jpg

Served with Char siew bao and cantaloupe.

5a958a5d89b70_20180223_183414(1)(1).thumb.jpg.6601bf8c3e31e849cf1714ffa2d79940.jpg

We were off to Austria the next night for a chicken schnitzel sandwich. (Previously posted).

We went to lunch the next day at an Argentinian steakhouse so we didn't feel much like dinner that night. We had a late night snack of Costa Rica's version of Scottish shortbread. Except for the little dab of dry jelly they are almost as good as the real thing. And at my last price comparison they were 14 times cheaper than what they want for Walkers cookies here.

20180226_193437(1).thumb.jpg.8e05bbdaca538ad0109a3f2f00e9b0d9.jpg

Our guest left yesterday so we were back to just three and we had Mexican food with mangoes.

20180226_182101(1).thumb.jpg.3bf1fca014f0c99bc15ea8b16b9bbe9a.jpg

20180226_182119(1).thumb.jpg.55877a3af78a6797ea88aa29f8623ba4.jpg

The rice and the refried beans were both made in the IP.

• Like 15

Just now, weedy said:

@Shelby nice! do you shuck your own oysters?

It's the one and only thing I ask my fishmonger to do for me; I'm hopeless at it.

and my profession kind of demands that I keep my fingers...:ph34r:

I do--mainly because there isn't a fishmonger in my garage...dang it lol.  For Christmas my folks gave us a big gunny sack full of oysters that we keep in the freezer.  A couple hours before we want to eat them,  I take them out--they thaw out just enough to be shuckable  (not a word I guess) but are still very cold.

I wear one of those protective gloves on my left hand.  I did all but two last night....Ronnie had to do those, couldn't get the suckers open.  

• Like 4