• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

34 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Technically speaking no one is seated there.  Curiouser and curriouser.

Actually, position 4 o'clock does not like mushrooms (note the fork on the plate) and so put it on one o'clock's plate while they were temporarily absent.

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Technically speaking no one is seated there.  Curiouser and curriouser.

It was very curious.  Just before we sat down, my MIL announced loudly (slightly slurring her words) that she does not understand the joke.  Why is there a steak in her bedroom?  I quickly counted the steaks and they were all on the plates.  Turns out it was a SNAKE.  I quickly barricaded the door.  There were suggestions of calling animal control and police but after dinner I threw a towel over the sneak and grabbed it over the towel with grill tongs and got it out of the house.  Celebratory drinking ensued.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

It was very curious.  Just before we sat down, my MIL announced loudly (slightly slurring her words) that she does not understand the joke.  Why is there a steak in her bedroom?  I quickly counted the steaks and they were all on the plates.  Turns out it was a SNAKE.  I quickly barricaded the door.  There were suggestions of calling animal control and police but after dinner I threw a towel over the sneak and grabbed it over the towel with grill tongs and got it out of the house.  Celebratory drinking ensued.

By coincidence I was just reading a recipe for snake wine in Time Life The Cooking of China (p146):

"Then there is the famous Cantonese snake wine, of a virulent green color and very strong; it is indeed too strong, I used to think, to taste of anything but fire.  Snake wine is usually drunk in the autumn, for many Chinese believe this is the time for reinvigorating their bodies with tonic food.  To make it a large jar is filled with high-proof liqueur, and the snake, of as poisonous a species as can be obtained, is placed in the alcohol and left there sometimes for years, the longer the better.'

Hope this helps.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

One mushroom is missing.

Obviously, the person that was seated at that place used that fork to eat his mushroom before the picture was taken. I would have eaten it, they looks delicious. Either that or he's allergic to mushrooms

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

E5E1FFAA-8FC2-41EC-B898-407985DD7940.thumb.jpeg.49441f00757f4fa97a651e6e19ea2631.jpeg

Sautéed onion, bacon and cabbage. Simple, cheap and good.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Where do you have snakes this time of year?

She said she was in FL by which I'm assuming she means Florida.

I am in New Jersey and I ran into a snake a couple days ago while walking to the store.  In all seriousness this is the time of year when I am most afraid of meeting snakes.  On warm days they like to sun themselves on gravel paths.  A few years ago I ran into a copperhead on the trail not far from where I saw the snake the other day.  The copperhead would have been perfect for a batch of snake wine if only I'd been able to convince it to climb into the jug.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

57 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

if only I'd been able to convince it to climb into the jug.

Just be sure to carry a towel and grill tongs in your purse. Weren't you ever a girl scout? Be prepared! maybe you can get @liuzhouto send you some nice stir fry recipes for snake to use up the rest of it and you can stop eating all that chicken.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
addition (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Just be sure to carry a towel and grill tongs in your purse. Weren't you ever a girl scout? Be prepared! maybe you can get @liuzhouto send you some nice stir fry recipes for snake to use up the rest of it and you can stop eating all that chicken.

But they say it tastes like chicken.  Why am I thinking about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?*

*admittedly Douglas Adams never thought of using grill tongs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

maybe you can get @liuzhouto send you some nice stir fry recipes for snake to use up the rest of it and you can stop eating all that chicken.

Like this?

snake.thumb.jpg.f44457f43b84e98c9381f9180e26ada0.jpg

Or perhaps some snake soup?

5a937c3424a1f_SnakeSoup.thumb.jpg.259a6cbc1b97fc6c82fcc954f0de722c.jpg

Actually, although I've eaten it often, I've never cooked snake myself. Those are restaurant dishes.

Snakes are however available in one of my local markets so maybe one day.

snakes.thumb.jpg.9f0a359480205110a118b7ac9159efd8.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Like this?

snake.thumb.jpg.f44457f43b84e98c9381f9180e26ada0.jpg

Or perhaps some snake soup?

5a937c3424a1f_SnakeSoup.thumb.jpg.259a6cbc1b97fc6c82fcc954f0de722c.jpg

Actually, although I've eaten it often, I've never cooked snake myself. Those are restaurant dishes.

Snakes are however available in one of my local markets so maybe one day.

snakes.thumb.jpg.9f0a359480205110a118b7ac9159efd8.jpg

Can you comment on Cantonese snake wine?

3 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Where do you have snakes this time of year?

We were in Port St Lucie, FL.  Snake came back to say hi this morning.  I know it kinda looks like a bird but it is a snake in the water.  

IMG_0494.thumb.JPG.c60d9f8a02e5632ed68369c8f591407c.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

By coincidence I was just reading a recipe for snake wine in Time Life The Cooking of China (p146):

"Then there is the famous Cantonese snake wine, of a virulent green color and very strong; it is indeed too strong, I used to think, to taste of anything but fire.  Snake wine is usually drunk in the autumn, for many Chinese believe this is the time for reinvigorating their bodies with tonic food.  To make it a large jar is filled with high-proof liqueur, and the snake, of as poisonous a species as can be obtained, is placed in the alcohol and left there sometimes for years, the longer the better.'

Hope this helps.

It helps a great deal.  Drinking vodka straight is soooo overrated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, chefmd said:

We were in Port St Lucie, FL.  Snake came back to say hi this morning.  I know it kinda looks like a bird but it is a snake in the water.  

IMG_0494.thumb.JPG.c60d9f8a02e5632ed68369c8f591407c.JPG

Still looks like a bird. 

• Like 1